Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

dang david, sorry to hear about this chit. you make me want to turn my cr back to stock and build my 97

Duramax's also have aluminum heads. Or giant heat sinks.. ...

Seems like years ago all the dodge guys were saying how the aluminum heads on the duramax were junk and would melt... wouldn't that be something if that it turns out to be saving them instead of condemning them to the meltdown status of a cr cummins...

Duramax's also have aluminum heads. Or giant heat sinks.. ...

yup, only if someone would start an aluminum cylinder head program for the Cummins and offer 12valve,24 valve and CR cylinder heads. and also offer different versions, like as cast, CNC, raised runner. i know it would cost alot of money but seeing how alot of guys are on there 2nd or 3rd motors.aluminum head and standalone would be sick

Last edited:
I just dropped a head off at the machine shop tonight and got to talking with the workers. The owner told me that aftermarket heads are now in production for 24v cummins. I'm not sure if he meant CR as well?

I thought Zack Hamilton was workin on a aluminum head.

Dockboy, I'll offer my Dr.P Predator box for some data loging! I just had it reflashed with the latest programing available. My truck is still in pieces so it is useless to me at the moment. Let me know!

Swole, you might try muriatic acid on the cylinders to clean off the melted aluminum. And if its feasible I would switch to 03-04 pistons and injectors.

Dockboy, I'll offer my Dr.P Predator box for some data loging! I just had it reflashed with the latest programing available. My truck is still in pieces so it is useless to me at the moment. Let me know!

I have a Dr. P box with the extreme race flash in it and the closest it will ever get to my truck again is when i carry it in the truck to whoever wants it!!!:badidea:

BigB82789...

Sorry you dont understand...

Swole would have to change his programming to run 03-04 pistons....that is what my "programing" comment was. I am not contradicting anything.

That piston was not the result of 11 seconds with a smarty...it had to do with the first 2500 miles with something else. I am not cheerleading Smarty in this case...and I am not bashing something "else"...but get real.

You have brought nothing but negativity to the table...

Whats your experience? Where is your street cred? Your are probably a troll so STFD and zip it.

The shoulder or the 03-04 piston, the spray pattern, the lack of 3rd event, etc etc all lead to more reliability IMHO. Even Cummins knows this...hence the 6.7 having the same approach to piston and squirt design.

Last edited:
BigB82789...

Sorry you dont understand...

Swole would have to change his programming to run 03-04 pistons....thaqt is what the "programing" comment was.

That piston was not the result of 11 seconds with a smarty...it had to do with the first 2500 miles with something else. I am not cheerleading Smarty in this case...and I am not bashing something "else"...but get real.
You have brought nothing but negativity

I forgot your an expert and have the fix for all common rails. Why didn't you speak up earlier??

There is no reason the 600 series trucks should be melting this bad. Its in the tuning.

600 series pistons last in p pumped 24 valves so you have no argument there. Spray pattern needs to be tightened up yes, and its been proven that the 3rd event is not present under load and rpm in these engines.

I have not brought negativity, just reality. You can ignore the clues if you like, it will not solve the problem though.

Wesley Wades truck got the tuning right and didn't melt, but whos to say different combos of injectors, pumps, etc doesnt alter the outcome. This is where the new standalones will shine. Those tuning their trucks will know what timing they are throwing in the cylinder, not just " wild, or mild".

Real quick and then I have to get some sleep to be on duty all weekend !

Good things so far are;

The 480 looks fine!!! I don't think its hurt at all.

Several Several folks have contacted me and want to help out!

I can't thank all you guys enough!!

I'll post more later when I actually have a direction to be headed in with it. I do like the 03/04 piston and injector idea!! I've heard you can run the 04.5+ ecm with this combo and have it work pretty well. I'd love to have to 2 event ECM but beggers can't be chooser's!

G'nite fellas! I'll be on all weekend and will be che king the thread and pm's!

Talk to Bob Wagner...I bet he will help you in the ECM department.

Ignore BigB82789...I just read up on a bunch his his posts...he has nothing to offer anybody.

P-Pumped 600 pistons???? That has a TON to do with a CR...WTF? Get out of this conversation...you don't even have a CR.

I had to read more...what a jackass.

All he does is peddle parts and run his sarcastic mouth on every area of this forum possible.

Back on subject...

Since its coming apart...

03-04 Pistons....

You will get help with the ECM and Injector Tips...Bob and Don will take care of you.

Talk to Bob Wagner...I bet he will help you in the ECM department.

Ignore BigB82789...I just read up on a bunch his his posts...he has nothing to offer anybody.

P-Pumped 600 pistons???? That has a TON to do with a CR...WTF? Get out of this conversation...you don't even have a CR.

It proves that the piston design isn't the cause of melting pistons! I might as well be talking to a brick wall! I'm leaving this thread you have fun being a know it all. Looks like you'ved single handedly saved the common rail! LOL.:bang

Swole, sorry about the carnage hope all goes well for you!

Hate to hear the bad news. I guess it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only person that melted a piston last week. I drained alot of dirty fuel, and water out of the airdog, after it started killing mosquitos at idle.