Swole's Infamy of Carnage Continues!!

I gotta disagree on the dual pumps too, rail pressure is rail pressure, whether it is supplied by 1 big one or 2.

So you think it is the high rail pressure that is melting the pistons?

I gotta disagree on the dual pumps too, rail pressure is rail pressure, whether it is supplied by 1 big one or 2.

I used to think so too but I now have my doubts. Maybe it's where and how fast rp is made or maybe there is better flow to the rail through two supply lines, but duals do seem to do better at equal indicated rp. I have no dyno proof or anything, just my experience from watching a gauge. LOL

I'm definitely no expert on this but, I would put money on the fact that Bosch designed their fuel system to well exceed the 24K many think they should have. I wouldn't doubt the system can handle double what it's designed for. That would put it up in the 40 to 50K range. No, you wouldn't want to run it there but, I wouldn't think Bosch would design it to where it would fail at 30K or less.

Swole, like Weston said.... you answered your own statement. Maybe I have been lucky but then, so have many others who did what I did. So, it's either luck for everyone or something was done right. Your injectors have failed more than they haven't. Your fuel line coming a part could have been installation error (cross threaded or just not tight enough ) or some weird electronic thing but, I believe you would have had to seen 40K+ for the psi to have blown it a part. You don't have anything different as far as dual pumps, psi box and/or the Smarty...etc than anyone else does so why would it only be your truck ? Something else is at play IMHO.

I see 2 issues, others agree, not enough orifices, and the angle is too narrow, it is being tested now.

I see 2 issues, others agree, not enough orifices, and the angle is too narrow, it is being tested now.

I've tried Scheids 10 orifices and saw no positive gain from what I already had. The only gain that came from it is that the more holes there are, the less smoke there is.

I've tried Scheids 10 orifices and saw no positive gain from what I already had. The only gain that came from it is that the more holes there are, the less smoke there is.

They aren't 10-hole.

The number of orifices has already been tested by some of the best. Now angles, im not sure of. I would thing it has been too though.

I'll agree to disagree with this, as well. I've been running dual pumps for almost 60,000 miles with zero problems. Keep in mind, I DON'T run a pressure box. I'd say the only drawback to dual pumps would be the possibility that the controller could go bad (as in David's case with his PPE setup). That's why I asked if he was running a PPE dual pump setup. His was the first I'd ever heard of a controller being screwed up.

I'll agree to disagree with this, as well. I've been running dual pumps for almost 60,000 miles with zero problems. Keep in mind, I DON'T run a pressure box. I'd say the only drawback to dual pumps would be the possibility that the controller could go bad (as in David's case with his PPE setup). That's why I asked if he was running a PPE dual pump setup. His was the first I'd ever heard of a controller being screwed up.

wasn't it determined his controller wasn't bad ??

The number of orifices has already been tested by some of the best. Now angles, im not sure of. I would thing it has been too though.

Things have been tested, but nothing has brought a conclusion.

I didn't count them but, their 100hp lightning injectors are supposedly 10. I was also told by them that they're direct from Bosch not aftermarket built.

I meant what is being tried now is not 10-hole.

So you think it is the high rail pressure that is melting the pistons?

You're running Flux 7.3s...7.3s! I would assume your EGTs are way up there during a pull. You're probably not melting the pistons on the first pull of the day/night, but I'd imagine your motor is pretty heat soaked after one pull, and if it hasn't completely cooled off for the next pull, I can only imagine what the cylinder temps are by the end of the next pull.

What pressure box are you running? What setting? What kind of rail pressure are you seeing?

wasn't it determined his controller wasn't bad ??

Yes it was "Bad"! PPE stated that it was being replaced due to them finding that it was "not within their specs".

And when I cranked it the first time after rebuild, my rail pressure sensor was found to be bad aswell. This , I have no clue why! It was sent to TCDiesel when my rail and PRV was done. So I dont know if it went bad the night at the track or if it went bad or got trash in it afterwards.

So, I do Not think my last issue was injector related.

SO!

We have those that blame Dons injectors.

and we have those that blame dual cp3's , pressure, & tuning.

Joesixpack - with your stand alone, whats the max pressure you see / use???

Does having monontherms change your decision on that?

Max pressure 33,000 psi. However running CRIN3's and they are designed from the get go to operate up there. Strange thing with these injectors is they do not seem to bring so much timing with pressure.

I can Idle, at 30,000 psi and the engine runs smooth and quiet, even the injectors don't make so much racket doing so.

Try that with the CRIN1.6's. Sounds like a rod wants to chew its way out.

On the monotherms...Absolutely.......running the steel pistons your in the heavy duty diesel elite club.....:hehe:

I agree that Don is at fault in some ways, but I cant say its with his products. When guys are blowing high pressure fittings off and pulling threads off of fittings, its pretty aparent that the pressure is a little out of hand. Every one of these threads I read, it seems like poeple want to blame everything and everyone except the actual problem. Yes, Dons tip did crack. But why shouldnt it. Just weeks ago, this same engine with the same setup ripped the threads off of a fitting. How could you expect it not to break a tip, or bust an injector body, or blow another line off, or etc. Any time we pull injectors out, they get sent to be tested. And if there is any doubt about their intergity, they get replaced. It sucks because they are expensive, but thats just part of having a cr. Im not blaming Swole for any of this, just saying some of these problems could have been prevented, imo. First thing is get rid of the dual cp3s and run lower than normal rp so then you dont have to worry about what the controller is telling the pumps to do. And you dont have to worry about the crazy pressure spikes as much. Your gonna give up a litte hp, but your gonna keep your motor together. Find other ways to make power. And I agree that timing is a killer also, as most already know.

But for the guys that think its not tuning and setup, then how do you explain the reason that its always the same guys blowing engines?

Of course its the tuning and setup, only your giving some advice on what you suggest will remedy the issue.

While I don't agree dual pumps is the issue, IMO good pressure control is. (Which is not easier with dual pumps)
I would suggest that with the failed rail sensor, David had far from good pressure control. (On the last meltdown).

Garbage the pressure boxes....how they function and more so when you use them to max rail pressure, pulls the ecu out of closed loop control.

The 04.5 piston and the non re-entrant bowl will never take the heat as well as the older pistons period. Jack the pressure and or hog out the 5 hole tips and the concentration of heat and fuel pushes out towards the outer crown ring were it has the least ability to handle and sink the heat.

IMO 8 hole tips might alleviate that somewhat. Spread the heat out a bit more, smaller holes to keep the fuel closer to center.

The huge pressure also leads to almost no mixing period, just burn from the get-go. In turn lends to a long burn duration, many more degrees than what a mechanical ever thought of.

:bang In most cases YES!

Oh but what do i know. I dont have the motor melt down experience to comment on this thread i guess. :bang

Where as I've seen you post half a dozen times or more its the "tuning" and not even the slightest hint of what you think will remedy the issue.

You posted you know exactly what melted the two customer's engine? Why not spill it?

Yup....that's were I'd put my money.

Running 8 holes now....however back to the re-entrant bowl. Power is NOT down. Absolutely scares the hell out of me on the street again.

Last edited:
LOL...when does 25k plus 25k equal 50k?

Who is componding their dual cp3's...maybe thats the problem...