Tech help swapping in 12valve

Jess@FarmboyFab

DC's idol
I may be picking up a 24valve from i think an '02 Dodge 2500 with tranny and t-case.

It also comes with "one computer from inside the cab, and one with the engine".

I dont know what that means, and how many ecms, pcms, lcms and god knows what else these things need to run. I would have loved to had a simple 12v, but beggers cant be choosey.

It will be going into a '97 F150. I am confident in my abilities to fabricate the motor and tranny crossmembers, as well as boxing in the frame in the mid-section; getting it to run is the concern.

Fuel cell with stock fuel pump? Fass? Any little box or unit along the frame rail that I might would overlook?

Any relays, computers, etc?

I believe it also has the intercooler, but no radiator. Not sure.

I know its vague, but it is the best I can do. Any help at all would be appreciated. It should be here tomorrow, and ill start tearing mine down immediately.

- Jesse

Definetly upgrade the lift pump, preferably with a gauge
there should be an ecm, and a pcm!

originally the ecm mounts on the side of the engine, and the pcm was on the firewall! tryin to think what else

Get the underhood wiring harness if at all possible Jesse, it will make things go a LOT smoother! Also, give Beaner at Bean's Diesel Performance a call, he has swapped lots of Cummins into Fords and should be able to point you in the right direction on getting the Ford cluster to work.

The "one computer from inside the cab" may be the "timer module" that controls all the interior lights and dingers and crap. That is the only module in the cab I can think of. $.02

Get the underhood wiring harness if at all possible Jesse, it will make things go a LOT smoother! Also, give Beaner at Bean's Diesel Performance a call, he has swapped lots of Cummins into Fords and should be able to point you in the right direction on getting the Ford cluster to work.

I dont even really care if it works. I ran for 3 years (up until a couple months ago) with no speedo or oil pressure gauge.

Still dont look at either :hehe:

Why not throw a p-pump on the 24v and ditch all the electronics?

Because I dont know what that means. :hehe:

When i have always heard talk on here of P-pumps, i figured it was a new fuel pump. Is it instead an oil pump for the injectors? Fuel regulating system?

Hit me with some literature if you have some readily available; a p-pump search would take forwever to weed through, being that I dont know what to weed out.

I should have mentioned I am doing this as cheap as possible, as I never could have afforded a Cummins swap before...unless it was given to me :rockwoot:

Last edited:
While I've never done a p-pump conversion, nor am I an expert.... but a p-pump is a p7100 fuel pump off of a 12v. Only electronics needed to run it would be the fuel shut off selonoid I believe...

You'd have to talk to someone or do a search on here as to what exactly is needed for parts...

The P Pump is not a bad idea Jesse, just a bit costly :(

Then it will have to be a future mod, regardless of the gain in simplicity :doh:

Unless someone wants me to build their truck to run on 66"s? Come on guys, support the little guy. :rockwoot::Cheer:

Jess, I don't know if the terms "p-pump conversion" and "simplicity" can be used simultaneously. :D

If you were going to swap in a 24v and p-pump it, why wouldnt you just start with a 12v to begin with?

After reading about the hatred of the VP44s, it would make me wonder why anybody would swap one into another truck.

I dont want to start a pissing match on Vp44s vrs p-pumps, just trying to clarify.

I know what I am doing memorial day.

4256_588529919566_40508875_34999706_8264391_n.jpg

4256_588529924556_40508875_34999707_6454811_n.jpg

Will the bolts line up if i flip the exhaust manifold upside down? It would work perfect for me being that I am going to do a hoodstack, and give me more room by the fender. This is of course if I can set it low enough in the frame to not stick the turbo out of my hood.

IThis is of course if I can set it low enough in the frame to not stick the turbo out of my hood.

I'd figure that out first.... Flipping the manifold with a stock charger can be a bit precarious plumbing wise.

Will the bolts line up if i flip the exhaust manifold upside down? It would work perfect for me being that I am going to do a hoodstack, and give me more room by the fender. This is of course if I can set it low enough in the frame to not stick the turbo out of my hood.

Yes. People do that all the time for fitting twins on. As long as it still fits under the hood. The 3rd gen manifolds also move the turbo towards the firewall and down if you have room there (I'm not sure that would work well w/ a hood stack though).

Looks like an awesome project, it should be fun when you get it done. :rockwoot:

yea...that's a 98-2000ish...I say this because of the fuel filter...

Not to complicate things, but that is not an 02, but rather a 98 or 99 engine. Better check the lower front left side of the block - right above the oil pan rail for a "53".

This project is scaring the crap out of me already and it doesnt even concern me. The problems I see are....

1) It is definately a 98 or 99 engine which will most likely have a 53 block. Check both sides of the block near the front right above the oil pan. 53 Blocks are not a good choice for a swap project as they tend to crack.

2) Fram filter on it so the previous owner doesnt know the first thing about Cummins engines or he just didnt give a rats arse. Fram filters are known for seperating inside and then the pieces get into the piston cooling nozzles and plug them until they melt a piston or crack a ring from lack of lubrication.

3) The amount of oil on that engine is crazy and I would NEVER install it without putting a pan gasket, front main, rear main, and rebuild the vac/power steering box.

4) Turbo looks aweful golden on the topside also. I would make sure to check shaft play and do an oil analysis on the engine before you spend tons of money and time on that project. I would say that engine looks like it was in a well used truck.

Dont mean to scare you but just want you to be aware of what your up against. I think its awesome you want a Cummins in your Ford!

Chris

Several years ago Fram updated their filters to meet Cummins specs, I still do not use them sue to a general dislike of Fram in general but they did take care of the coming apart issues.