The demise of 2.6?

You know it's pretty funny, a few years ago when 2.6 was 1000hp 1100hp nobody wanted odl. People got all ****y when it was brought up and VERY FEW people were for it.............seems like a lot easier problem to fix if you already making them change turbos.... just saying

It would be easy to knock the weight class down 500# and go to single rear tires.

I know 6200lb open stock 485ci Gasser trucks with iron heads, only making 850hp and 600ft lbs of torque destroying Dana 80 ring and pinions.... Dropping some weight and hitch height won't fix everything.

Wheel speed is your friend when breaking parts, but also will cost you if you're not "biting" well... No matter what, a well hooking truck will break ring and pinions

More "food for thought"; 6 years ago, when my brother's and I built and fabbed our 3.0 chassis, Curt Haisley was making 1350hp as a top running 3.0 truck... ODL was required then, and I believe he broke his Dana 60 once.

2.6 is at this power level, therefore ODL IS NEEDED!

That being said, for PPL, of course! That doesn't mean local clubs have to follow it... If anyone on here believes PPL gives a f**k what you, as the Puller, wants; then you are a fool...Mears only gives a s**t about PPL and the promoters they are selling to!

So now is the time for ever little club to branch away from PPL, and that is exactly what they want! They want 12-15 consistent, money isn't an option, trucks and no locals showing up to " see what they got." No more qualifying hooks or other BS. PPL is doing this to Separate themselves as the best, that is it... It has ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT TO THE AVERAGE PULLER!

Therefore, everyone needs to do what's best for them and their local club...the days of making 1-2 or 4-5 hooks with Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League are over, they want the pullers dedicated to them and them only for whole season!

More "food for thought"; 6 years ago, when my brother's and I built and fabbed our 3.0 chassis, Curt Haisley was making 1350hp as a top running 3.0 truck... ODL was required then, and I believe he broke his Dana 60 once.

That being said, for PPL, of course! That doesn't mean local clubs have to follow it... If anyone on here believes PPL gives a f**k what you, as the Puller, wants; then you are a fool...Mears only gives a s**t about PPL and the promoters they are selling to!

So now is the time for ever little club to branch away from PPL, and that is exactly what they want! They want 12-15 consistent, money isn't an option, trucks and no locals showing up to " see what they got." No more qualifying hooks or other BS. PPL is doing this to Separate themselves as the best, that is it... It has ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT TO THE AVERAGE PULLER!

Therefore, everyone needs to do what's best for them and their local club...the days of making 1-2 or 4-5 hooks with Lucas Oil Pro Pulling League are over, they want the pullers dedicated to them and them only for whole season!
X2 I think the same as you do, they don't make anymore money if more trucks show up it just makes a longer night for there employees, they have big money running them. And they do not want to deal with anyone that doesn't run with them every week. I saw that at Rudy's this year. And some of the comments that were made by them makes me no longer want our local org to follow them

I agree, that is exactly what they want!! For PPL it is a good thing to go on their own and be the TOP dogs, there is nothing wrong with that.

Who's fault is it the 2.6 truck make close to 1400hp? Why were deck plates and aftermarket heads allowed? Why did into somebody pay attention to what was going on.

Deck plates, aftermarket heads, ag pumps, Odl??? Think there already was a class called 3.0???

What the **** is wrong with people. Like little babies yall ask for more and more every year. Change the rules to suit your self. Man the **** up and move up a class if you want more

Who's fault is it the 2.6 truck make close to 1400hp? Why were deck plates and aftermarket heads allowed? Why did into somebody pay attention to what was going on.

Deck plates, aftermarket heads, ag pumps, Odl??? Think there already was a class called 3.0???

What the **** is wrong with people. Like little babies yall ask for more and more every year. Change the rules to suit your self. Man the **** up and move up a class if you want more

I built an ODL 6 years ago and was 300hp behind...loved it, never touched the truck, except for changing oil. I've only spent money on better Turbos and engine changes to try to catch up/keep up.... It was never my class to worry about, lol! I've been calling this for years, and I wasn't happy when they allowed forward facing MWE grooves in our class...then 2.6 let it follow into their class. From day 1, when 2.8 got dismantled, I said 2.6 should stay 2.6 bore before and after the MWE groove...no one listened

I built an ODL 6 years ago and was 300hp behind...loved it, never touched the truck, except for changing oil. I've only spent money on better Turbos and engine changes to try to catch up/keep up.... It was never my class to worry about, lol! I've been calling this for years, and I wasn't happy when they allowed forward facing MWE grooves in our class...then 2.6 let it follow into their class. From day 1, when 2.8 got dismantled, I said 2.6 should stay 2.6 bore before and after the MWE groove...no one listened

I just get tired of ppl nut swingers saying ppl is the PRO PULLING LEAGUE this and that if you don't like them don't run with them.

It is the class officials responsibility to pay attention to what is going on and not to let classes get out of hand and grow so dam fast new trucks can't get built. The rate PPL has let 2.6 and 3.0 grow if a guy can't build a truck in 2 months it will be out dated before it reaches the track.

Once again the pullers SHOULD NOT HAVE say so in changing the dam rules every year. That's why we're in the boat we are in today.

Two basically identical classes by the crowds perspective, of course 2.6 will probably have more trucks and cost less to have at the shows because they aren't in the silverror series...... take a wild guess who will get the hooks this year.

Places like COTPC are not setting a wheel base limit so for everybody that pulls with them and doesn't travel anyway you don't have to cut your stuff down anyway, and on a third gen cclb dodge all you have to do is slide your bed forward and the tires clear at 158 inches anyway

Guys need put effort into keeping the 2.5 rules from getting out of hand ..... 2.6 is not a budget class and is to far gone to be a adorable class like once was 5 years ago ,unless your a farmer or have big shops pushing money products your direction !!

Last edited:
Also people probably aren't thinking... just because you run a drop box don't mean you HAVE To run a reverser. In my opinion if people already have a 3 speed nv4500 it would be tit's to keep it and setup your drop box for yours "inbtween" gear. You would be able to then gear up or gear down if the track does change after you already set your drop box gear up.

You can buy a brand new drop box for 2k give or take a little. Sell your 271 to a 2.5 truck that need one. Bam pretty sweet setup for less than 1500.

Makes a lot of sense and is what I have been considering since the rumors of ODL started, glad to hear some others with more experience share my thoughts

What's to say a guy says he bought a cab and chassis with a 190" wheel base. It would legal by your theory. 158 has been the rule for years. The SS trucks and 3.0 are all the same. So why should you be different.

It would not be legal by that theory. They do not make a factory bed for a cab and chassis.

Because the rules say 158". Just like all the gas classes have a wheel base limit. Do you think all those gas trucks came with 130" wheel base?? You all whine about everything! You get ODL so you can quit beotching about breaking R&P and now we want to cry about having to move the axle that you need to weld in 3" forward. And if you want to know. 2nd gen dodge eclb is shorter the 158

Where on ppl's website do the rules for 2.6 say anything about 158" wheelbase?

It would not be legal by that theory. They do not make a factory bed for a cab and chassis.
Do they make a factory 10' bed you see all the reg can trucks running at 158 in 3.0?
Where on ppl's website do the rules for 2.6 say anything about 158" wheelbase?

It doesn't for this year.

It's what was said at Rudy's by PPL officials for 2016. If you don't understand why something is being done. Try calling Mears and asking. If you don't want to run the 158" PPL is planning on putting in effect then leave truck home when PPL has a hook. I guess I don't understand what the issue. Don't like the rules, don't take your truck and go run some brush stuff. Pretty simple. they could give 2 chits if you have to shorten your stuff 3"

Last edited:
People keep saying the pullers need to man up and jump up a class. Problem is most guys can't travel all over the Midwest every weekend to pull. Then the local organizations, at least in my area, do not have a current 3.0 class either. Where does a guy pull at then?

PPL could have got pullers to make the jump if they would have put the 3.0 class in the Midwest series so everyone didn't have to travel 6-10 hrs on the regular.

Cutting power back is one of the better solutions, but the 2.5 trucks in this area are in the 11-1200hp range. So unless that class changes, how can you have 2.6 trucks making less than the 2.5 trucks?

People keep saying the pullers need to man up and jump up a class. Problem is most guys can't travel all over the Midwest every weekend to pull. Then the local organizations, at least in my area, do not have a current 3.0 class either. Where does a guy pull at then?

PPL could have got pullers to make the jump if they would have put the 3.0 class in the Midwest series so everyone didn't have to travel 6-10 hrs on the regular.

Cutting power back is one of the better solutions, but the 2.5 trucks in this area are in the 11-1200hp range. So unless that class changes, how can you have 2.6 trucks making less than the 2.5 trucks?

I didnt really mean jumping a class was a option now. 3-4 years ago when we startested giving 2.6 trucks something every year was when people should have been told to jump if you want that.

3.0 will be slowly be pushed away now. The 2.6 class will now be the class people build trucks for. When 3.0 looses hooks then can't build their truck for the 2.6 class. Its just all a dam joke

I would agree the local pulling org. Shouldn't follow ppl and I don't think anybody would if it wasn't for wanting to go to TS and schied events. Since they are people follow suit. IMO

I would agree the local pulling org. Shouldn't follow ppl and I don't think anybody would if it wasn't for wanting to go to TS and schied events. Since they are people follow suit. IMO
And even if a club don't follow ppl fully but say the turbo only what's to say a person isn't going to still go to those pulls