Transmission Guru's Help needed

We thought it was the TC last year and baught another. No change then either. This trans worked fine 3 years ago and then did get hot. The big "G" said the case checked out fine but I'm running out of what can it be's. LOL

Mine was doing the same. It took full rebuild (after welding the OD section into one piece) to fix it, i still do not have an answer as to what the problem actually was.

Not necessarily, you would be slowing the fluid flow, and the fluid could be getting slowed in the cooler, allowing it to cool more since it is spending more time in it. As much trouble as you have had with it, I would try to troubleshoot it. LOL

I was rethinking this the other day, and your logic wouldn't work like this. If there is a restriction in the cooler, the fluid wouldn't be going through due to the restriction, if it is going through, the fluid behind it is being baked to to the restriction. And it would cause the pump seal to blow out. Just more thoughts I've had since I don't trouble shoot. LMFAO!

Mine was doing the same. It took full rebuild (after welding the OD section into one piece) to fix it, i still do not have an answer as to what the problem actually was.

I'll also add, that the Over drive and Lock Up work like they should. When you get the car in 3rd gear with no lock up, you can tell there is a big stall converter in there. But sure as heck not below 2nd gear. We thought it would have been fixed when the VB was cross bleeding last fall. Maybe the case is eroded away there. IDK

Nick took the car to a fun night at Eddyville last Friday to get the car back on a track. Just like the last 3 years. 2.2 or 2.3 60', no boost til after the 60', I can't remember what his exact times were. He had issues getting it hooked up too. This track doesn't prep at all for the fun nights. 8.18's or 38's and 98mph in the 1/8th. It will sure be nice when you can leave the line above 1250rpms. HaHa

Last edited:
I was rethinking this the other day, and your logic wouldn't work like this. If there is a restriction in the cooler, the fluid wouldn't be going through due to the restriction, if it is going through, the fluid behind it is being baked to to the restriction. And it would cause the pump seal to blow out. Just more thoughts I've had since I don't trouble shoot. LMFAO!

I didn't say blocked off, said restricted....

The longer the time the fluid spends in the cooler, the cooler it will be(decreasing heat transfer as you approach ambient)

Last edited:
Could run 2 coolers in parallel and cool it more by having the fluid in a cooler longer, but wont cause it to be 'backed up'

I'll also add, that the Over drive and Lock Up work like they should. When you get the car in 3rd gear with no lock up, you can tell there is a big stall converter in there. But sure as heck not below 2nd gear. We thought it would have been fixed when the VB was cross bleeding last fall. Maybe the case is eroded away there. IDK

Jnujst so there is no cunfusion for the other readers....this is presicely what mine was doing too. It idled fine in park but got lugged way down by 5-600 rpm, then acted perfectly fine while drivng, would occasionally stall at a light.

The OD section damage was from a gnarly and ill advised burnout. LOL

Epically post by a dumb phone.

Jnujst so there is no cunfusion for the other readers....this is presicely what mine was doing too. It idled fine in park but got lugged way down by 5-600 rpm, then acted perfectly fine while drivng, would occasionally stall at a light.

The OD section damage was from a gnarly and ill advised burnout. LOL

Epically post by a dumb phone.

LMAO! That's awesome. (Except the fact the OD unit went boom.)

It would sure be nice to figure out if these are associated issues, or what? This makes 4 in this thread. One broke and got fixed, one sprays to make up for it, one is waiting to try a different TC too, and my PITA. LOL I know there are others out there. I've heard it from other guys but they just run with it.

Subscribing............. I hate transmissions........

I didn't say blocked off, said restricted....

The longer the time the fluid spends in the cooler, the cooler it will be(decreasing heat transfer as you approach ambient)

This would NOT work. The fluid would not be making it to the cooler to get cool in your theory. It would be staying in the transmission, and considering the trans temps barely ever hit 100*, theory shot again. We measure the trans temp right at the cooler on the feed from the trans.

I promise there is flow there, I have pulled the lines enough, blown air through them, and the big "G" "tested" the trans with our fittings in the trans.

Last edited:

Nick took the car to a fun night at Eddyville last Friday to get the car back on a track. Just like the last 3 years. 2.2 or 2.3 60', no boost til after the 60', I can't remember what his exact times were. He had issues getting it hooked up too. This track doesn't prep at all for the fun nights. 8.18's or 38's and 98mph in the 1/8th. It will sure be nice when you can leave the line above 1250rpms. HaHa

These were IDLE launches as my ankle does not like trying to hold back 3700lbs since its not 100% healed yet. Time slips are in the car or in the truck, I can't remember but will look at home. Also the Data Logger says boost isn't available until around 3 seconds into the runs.

This would NOT work. The fluid would not be making it to the cooler to get cool in your theory. It would be staying in the transmission, and considering the trans temps barely ever hit 100*, theory shot again. We measure the trans temp right at the cooler on the feed from the trans.

I promise there is flow there, I have pulled the lines enough, blown air through them, and the big "G" "tested" the trans with our fittings in the trans.

Again, I said restricted, not blocked. Fluid would be flowing in the cooler. That fluid would be cooled more the longer it stayed in the cooler. How much hot the fluid that stays in the trans gets? Depends on load. Would the extra cool fluid from the cooler offset the hotter fluid exiting the trans? Without exact temps and more data hard to say.

If u still don't believe that the longer the fluid stays in the cooler the closer to ambient it will get. You better do some reading on heat transfer. :)

Must be missing something but your going to get the most heat rejection with the greater flow.

Again, I said restricted, not blocked. Fluid would be flowing in the cooler. That fluid would be cooled more the longer it stayed in the cooler. How much hot the fluid that stays in the trans gets? Depends on load. Would the extra cool fluid from the cooler offset the hotter fluid exiting the trans? Without exact temps and more data hard to say.

If u still don't believe that the longer the fluid stays in the cooler the closer to ambient it will get. You better do some reading on heat transfer. :)

I think you are thinking wrong...

If there is a restriction it is not holding the fluid in the cooler. The pump would be fighting to FEED the cooler the fluid, which would hold the fluid in the transmission, causing it to heat up. The restriction would cause the fluid to NOT get to and from the cooler in a normal rate and only cooling a very small amount of fluid. You may want to do more reading on restrictions on flow. :)

Prime example, the thermostat stuck shut on the car last friday night. Radiator was cold as the air, but the upper hose was hot along with the block, had there been a hole in the thermostat the RESTRICTION still would not have allowed the coolant to cool properly and would have held heat, as you are suggesting with the transmission cooler. Heat is NOT the issue.

Last edited:
I think you are thinking wrong...

If there is a restriction it is not holding the fluid in the cooler. The pump would be fighting to FEED the cooler the fluid, which would hold the fluid in the transmission, causing it to heat up. The restriction would cause the fluid to NOT get to and from the cooler in a normal rate and only cooling a very small amount of fluid. You may want to do more reading on restrictions on flow. :)

Prime example, the thermostat stuck shut on the car last friday night. Radiator was cold as the air, but the upper hose was hot along with the block, had there been a hole in the thermostat the RESTRICTION still would not have allowed the coolant to cool properly and would have held heat, as you are suggesting with the transmission cooler. Heat is NOT the issue.

I have digressed from the heat being the issue, and agree. When this started it was merely a suggestion. However if you will read what I have said, I have said all along the cooler will cool better, I didn't say the transmission would be cooler or hotter, but the fluid in the cooler would be cooler with less flow going through it. Just like your radiator example. The fluid in the radiator was cold, because it had more time in the rad. Just like the fluid in your trans cooler would have more time in the cooler, because there isn't as much flow pushing the coolant through the cooler faster.

I had a another thing happen with mine today...
With rear in the air, in neutral the rear tires will spin forward, at a decent clip. Strong enough to where i can hold it by hand but its not easy.
My cooler is definitely not restricted, stainless lines and new huge cooler.. What are your suggestions on it?

I have digressed from the heat being the issue, and agree. When this started it was merely a suggestion. However if you will read what I have said, I have said all along the cooler will cool better, I didn't say the transmission would be cooler or hotter, but the fluid in the cooler would be cooler with less flow going through it. Just like your radiator example. The fluid in the radiator was cold, because it had more time in the rad. Just like the fluid in your trans cooler would have more time in the cooler, because there isn't as much flow pushing the coolant through the cooler faster.

Pretty much not the same situation here Dan. The radiator was cold because the thermostat was stuck shut and there was no flow, and why the engine temp was going up once warmed up. The coolant in the radiator was cold because it never got warmed up due to the thermostat being stuck shut not allowing the system to flow.

This trans cooler is no different than any other hydraulic system and a restriction in flow = heat build up. Not trying to argue, just trying to get everything out there in case others have the same issue and can't get help either.

I had a another thing happen with mine today...
With rear in the air, in neutral the rear tires will spin forward, at a decent clip. Strong enough to where i can hold it by hand but its not easy.
My cooler is definitely not restricted, stainless lines and new huge cooler.. What are your suggestions on it?

Any 47rh I've ever had will do this. I believe it has to do with the valve body and pump circulation. Stock, the transmissions would only flow in any gear or neutral, except park. So with no resistance on the drive line, the tires will turn. How far do your tires turn when you put the car in gear while on the ground? Mine will lurch 1/4 turn on concrete with your foot on the brakes. Definitely has one heck of a fluid coupling. LOL

Pretty much not the same situation here Dan. The radiator was cold because the thermostat was stuck shut and there was no flow, and why the engine temp was going up once warmed up. The coolant in the radiator was cold because it never got warmed up due to the thermostat being stuck shut not allowing the system to flow.

This trans cooler is no different than any other hydraulic system and a restriction in flow = heat build up. Not trying to argue, just trying to get everything out there in case others have the same issue and can't get help either.

Lets say the radiator was hot, you shut off flow to the radiator, or restricted it to a trickle. Would the radiator cool?
Less flow in usually means less heat in(assuming the same temperature in, if the temperature changes, then the other factors have to be taken into account)

In your radiator example, the restriction wasn't the large contributor to the heat, it was the internal combustion that was building the heat and transferring it to the fluid.

Last edited: