Transmission Guru's Help needed

That's part of the issue. There is no stall at idle, very little stall period. A trans brake would be sweet, but what's the point of leaving the line with no boost and all spray?

Won't push through the brakes with a transbrake. I can build 30psi if I want to.

Who's valve body do you have in your 47RH. Yours sounds similar to ours, but ours is just worse. LOL

After I reread your post, it dawned on me that yes, you can tell there is a big stall once it is in 3rd and OD while driving. But in 1st and 2nd none. Scott's was the same way. Is this a trend?

It was a prototype SunCoast that used to be in Harvey's Ramcharger. It's probably a good 5 years old, but it still seems to work other than that weird off-idle issue.....but mine doesn't sound near as bad as yours.

Won't push through the brakes with a transbrake. I can build 30psi if I want to.

Does Suncoast offer a VB with a TB in it now? Last time I was looking for a TB for a 47RH, the only thing available was from a guy in Canada, and you lost the lock up feature. No one else had one available then.

I think they do....it's kinda hard to get up on the converter quick enough with a diesel though to be honest with you. If I actually raced mine regularly it would take a bit of practice.

It does sound like it's trying to lock the converter when you're not getting the high-stall at the line and it pushes through the brakes. Are you using braided stainless lines with teflon inserts? Maybe one of your lines or fittings has a major restriction that you haven't detected yet? What's the inside diameter of the inlet/outlet fittings on your transmission? Maybe your NPT to JIC adapter is too restrictive?

I'd let you try the whole tranny combo out of my Junker Drag Truck if you lived closer.

It does sound like it's trying to lock the converter when you're not getting the high-stall at the line and it pushes through the brakes. Are you using braided stainless lines with teflon inserts? Maybe one of your lines or fittings has a major restriction that you haven't detected yet? What's the inside diameter of the inlet/outlet fittings on your transmission? Maybe your NPT to JIC adapter is too restrictive?

I'd let you try the whole tranny combo out of my Junker Drag Truck if you lived closer.

The fittings in the trans are 1/4npt to -8 JIC with parker braided hose. Hose and fittings are all -8 inside diameter. A restriction is possible, and we'll be checking it in the am. You could have ran it all season, it just sat there waiting for us to get to it. LOL

I would assume your lock up and OD is done by toggle switches? We tried wiring nitrous solinoids to come on when you flipped lock up and OD and it ended up back feeding and grounding lock up and doing exactly what your descibing. Even with no nitrous you may want to check that area. Hope this helps.

Switch valve leaking or releasing early? Have you tried to disconnect the wire harness from the valve body? Is there a pressure spike in the cooler line during a lock unlock condition? These maybe things to check.

Did you guys try these? It could be the converter is staing partially locked up.

I would assume your lock up and OD is done by toggle switches? We tried wiring nitrous solinoids to come on when you flipped lock up and OD and it ended up back feeding and grounding lock up and doing exactly what your descibing. Even with no nitrous you may want to check that area. Hope this helps.

We unplugged the connector from the valve body and there is no change.

Did you guys try these? It could be the converter is staing partially locked up.

Yep, this is what I thought last year. The valve body was tested and passed and they said the TC was not half locked up. But they did say 2 gears were applied at once. I'm assuming they still are.

Just a thought, but have you checked the sprag and race in the rear of the case to make sure it isnt spinning or broken?

Wanna buy a known, working 47RH? I know works at 3900lb. It has a "G" converter and an "G" manual 47rh valve body.

Last edited:
Wanna buy a known, working 47RH? I know works at 3900lb. It has a "G" converter and an "G" manual 47rh valve body.

I would, but my pesos are going to another project now. I've already spent enough trying to get a stall out of this POS. LOL

The fittings in the trans are 1/4npt to -8 JIC with parker braided hose. Hose and fittings are all -8 inside diameter.

Are the 1/4 npt x -8 jic fittings Parker also and brass? I am guessing these are 45*'s? IIRC the passage way is restrictive on one I have seen in the past. I have used the SS Parker ones but have been using the AN fittings from Jegs.

See if I can find a set in the garage and measure them.

Are the 1/4 npt x -8 jic fittings Parker also and brass? I am guessing these are 45*'s? IIRC the passage way is restrictive on one I have seen in the past. I have used the SS Parker ones but have been using the AN fittings from Jegs.

See if I can find a set in the garage and measure them.

No they aren't brass, they're steel and one diameter clear through the fitting. They are 37* JIC fittings as well. I've got these same style fittings and hoses on several conversion trucks without an issue.

We didn't receive the other VB yet so no new news yet. Nick took the car to the track Saturday, but the tech guy was too busy to tech him. So he wasn't able to make any passes. He's going to go again Friday night.

Last edited:
After spending three months, and several rebuilds by several different tranny builders, new valve body, and even a different case I found out mine wasn't even the tranny but my GV overdrive.:doh: So I feel your pain man... *bdh* Only thing I can suggest is to put all your hard parts into another case and try it with that new VB, or borrow someones converter for the weekend to help narrow down what it is, and what it isn't. BTW While trying to solve my problem I read of several internally flawed cases that leaked enough fluid to partially lock up a clutch pack. Good luck man! :Cheer:

After spending three months, and several rebuilds by several different tranny builders, new valve body, and even a different case I found out mine wasn't even the tranny but my GV overdrive.:doh: So I feel your pain man... *bdh* Only thing I can suggest is to put all your hard parts into another case and try it with that new VB, or borrow someones converter for the weekend to help narrow down what it is, and what it isn't. BTW While trying to solve my problem I read of several internally flawed cases that leaked enough fluid to partially lock up a clutch pack. Good luck man! :Cheer:

After replacing the valve body with no change, I'm guessing your right and the case is cracked or f'd either way. We have another trans we're sticking in it that we know works. We're not swapping anything other than the OD housing back. We'll use our DPC TC and put it together. I'm going to try to find a place that will crack check the original case and I'm going to have the input magnafluxed too. We'll let you guys know once we get the new to us trans back in it.

I am going to be following this.. Mine bogs down and loads theengine real hard in gear and stalls it from neutral or park 80 percentof the time... Same valve body as i had before rebuild and new converter.. I am going to try s higher stall to see if that helps...
So, carry on and let us know!