Transmission Guru's Help needed

Any 47rh I've ever had will do this. I believe it has to do with the valve body and pump circulation. Stock, the transmissions would only flow in any gear or neutral, except park. So with no resistance on the drive line, the tires will turn. How far do your tires turn when you put the car in gear while on the ground? Mine will lurch 1/4 turn on concrete with your foot on the brakes. Definitely has one heck of a fluid coupling. LOL

they wont, it will just stall, but a 1/4 turn on enagement! holy crap!

Lets say the radiator was hot, you shut off flow to the radiator, or restricted it to a trickle. Would the radiator cool?
Less flow in usually means less heat in(assuming the same temperature in, if the temperature changes, then the other factors have to be taken into account)

In your radiator example, the restriction wasn't the large contributor to the heat, it was the internal combustion that was building the heat and transferring it to the fluid.

To be 100% clear, the reason the water in the radiator was cold is because it never got hot, it never left the radiator in the first place and never circulated. So enough about that and enough about the restriction because that has nothing to do with the issue.

Would the fluid be colder from more dead time in the cooler, yes, is that happening, nope. If the pressures fluctuated sure it would make more time in the cooler but its a constant pressure system and the fluid wouldn't have anymore time in the cooler than the rest of the system.

My vote is wrong torque converter is in the car. My first hunch was partial lockup though, and its usually the right one. I don't work on them though. Just read thoroughly in to things.

Oh really?!

To be 100% clear, the reason the water in the radiator was cold is because it never got hot, it never left the radiator in the first place and never circulated. So enough about that and enough about the restriction because that has nothing to do with the issue.

Would the fluid be colder from more dead time in the cooler, yes, is that happening, nope. If the pressures fluctuated sure it would make more time in the cooler but its a constant pressure system and the fluid wouldn't have anymore time in the cooler than the rest of the system.

I understand what a radiator does, and how heat transfer works. You still don't get what is happening with the heat transfer, but that is ok, it isn't causing the issue with your transmission. Continue on..

Last edited:
My vote is wrong torque converter is in the car. My first hunch was partial lockup though, and its usually the right one. I don't work on them though. Just read thoroughly in to things.

Oh really?!

Converter has been ruled out since last year when we put 1st DPC converter in, but it was the 3rd converter in the car. Converter has been inspected and checked by Phil, and it was the same as the "G" Converter, nothing wrong with it. Valve body has been ruled out as the issue is still present with the Pro Street VB and its different than the "G" that was in it before. No more constant pressure.

I completely forgot about this thread...

Just to re-cap:

3 converters
2 VBs
Same case

Car weighs 4000LBs and has no stall, correct?

Does it pull forward in neutral?

Does it bind up in reverse?

Is the pump OEM or aftermarket?

I completely forgot about this thread...

Just to re-cap:

3 converters
2 VBs
Same case

Car weighs 4000LBs and has no stall, correct?

Does it pull forward in neutral?

Does it bind up in reverse?

Is the pump OEM or aftermarket?

2 converters built by 2 different companies
2 VB's again by 2 different companies
Same Case

Yes

Does not pull forward in neutral

Does not bind up in reverse

Pump is OEM

Ok, so, I'm going to be devils advocate here and re-visit the converter.

Yes, you've had 5 converters by two different manufacturers.

Have all of them been your usual, 13" dia. Cummins converters? Or have they been custom converters with smaller pumps/impellers?

Ok, so, I'm going to be devils advocate here and re-visit the converter.

Yes, you've had 5 converters by two different manufacturers.

Have all of them been your usual, 13" dia. Cummins converters? Or have they been custom converters with smaller pumps/impellers?

All have been V10 converters modified to stall to different rpms. "G" did the first 3 setups, has tested their converter and it stalls seperately from the transmission. Phil runs the same converter in his truck, IIRC and he has no issues with his. Phil has been inside this converter and said it looked brand new before this last refresh. "G" never found an issue with any of their covnertes either when they had them back for refresh/restalls. Our issue is that when coupled with our current trans, it will not stll but the converters stall when not in our transmission. Where in every transmission builder I have talked to recently is saying there has to be a bleed somewhere in the system.

After I get a customers truck out of the shop we are putting in a stock transmission that is known to be good with our DPC converter and seeing if it stalls. Then we are more than likely taking the "G" unit apart and having the input and case crack checked.

Last edited:
OK, if I'm hearing you correctly, at least one of the converters was installed in a friends truck and it works fine?

Must be leakage to the tcc apply circuit. Seems to me you can test tcc apply pressure through the cooler lines but its not coming to me.

If there was leakage to the tcc circuit creating a partial apply, the forward clutches would be dragging in park and would be roasted in short order.

If the input shaft is wrong, it would have pulled forward in neutral and bound in reverse, which is why I asked.

When you say it stalled on the dyno, you mean in the car? Or in something else?

Also, these converters, are they being built as "race" converters that are spragless?

If the input shaft is wrong, it would have pulled forward in neutral and bound in reverse, which is why I asked.

When you say it stalled on the dyno, you mean in the car? Or in something else?

Also, these converters, are they being built as "race" converters that are spragless?

Where did I say anything about the input being wrong? I said it could be CRACKED.

The dyno would be the engine dyno's that "G" uses to "test" their producs. If the conveter stalled on a chassis dyno why would it not stall at the track?

As far as spragless you would have to ask Phil Taylor. He did our last converter or ou can call "G" and ask them.

Last edited:
If it was cracked, it would likely be the same conditions (pull forward in neutral & bind in reverse) since it would have the same leak to the TC piston.

I want to touch on this a little bit: "The dyno would be the engine dyno's that "G" uses to "test" their producs. If the conveter stalled on a chassis dyno why would it not stall at the track?"

If I'm understanding you correctly, no converter has ever stalled correctly in this car, correct? But have worked in trucks, correct?