Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I'd be asking for paperwork on an overhaul and any other parts its had changed. 1.2 million on the ticker I guarantee its been inframed, the question is when, and what was replaced. But assuming its got a recent overhaul and everything else is in good shape, 36k would be a pretty fair price

Hey tater, for what its worth (which isn't much), I went over and looked at a W9 about a year ago at Kendall and Brandon treated me very kindly. I'm sure it was obvious I'm not a trucker and wasn't a real serious buyer but he shot the breeze with me and gave me as much time as I wanted.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I'd love to hop on the big road with a hopper too, but it's not what's best for me.

I was thinkin the same..i absolutely love the color and everything its got to offer..im not so much fond the of the E model cat however im sure itd do just fine..i don't want a power house..just maybe a little fuel box on it..the 18spd doesn't bug because I can skip shift it just fine..

and brian yes thank you that means a lot..i like having dealers that actually take time to talk not just push push push you to buy something..thank you for the helpful tip..and I know the feeling on the truck situation..i never wanted one this bad before but stumbled upon this one and my banker and I have a already good relationship through our urrent hauling business and through the farm so he said if I wanted to hed help me get started..

After browsing 379s, I think the truck you're looking at isn't a spectacular buy. If it's priced at your budget, I think you can get a newer truck with less miles. It'll probably have a Cummins in it though. You can also get a similar truck for less money, although there aren't a lot of comparables out there if you're set on a Cat and 18 speed.

But hey, it's a sharp truck and if you can make it work I'd say go for it.

A newer, lower mileage 379 with a cat or cummins will be more than 36k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, many will be. My point was that there are newer 379s for sale with less miles for less money. There are 34 newer 379s with a Cat engine on Truckpaper right now with 1000000 miles or less at a cheaper price.

Are any as good looking as the one at Kendall? Not really.

There isn't anything wrong with an E model, they'll run just as hard as a C-15 any day. In fact, I'd almost prefer the E to anything else

Little update to my for fun runner. Having a sad sad snow nap. Dropped the wing. Swapped the bumper.

3aqubegu.jpg

pe8ybeqy.jpg

8y2yhyma.jpg

adasemy3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

There isn't anything wrong with an E model, they'll run just as hard as a C-15 any day. In fact, I'd almost prefer the E to anything else

I really think the E and early c-15 was the best truck engine cat ever made.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thought they snapped the cranks?? And I'm sure they're better deals out there..it's clean as he'll for a 98 and honestly it's at the top end of my price spectrum..for what I want to spend it's my nicest option..I'm still on the hunt for a nice w900..I'm a sucker for a pertied up w900..

Last edited:
I really think the E and early c-15 was the best truck engine cat ever made.

I agree with ya there, I do like the ACERT engines also, but the E's and early C-15's are the best out of the box. Start doing turbos, cams, injectors, etc etc etc......I'd rather start with an ACERT due to the stronger bottom end. but for a daily runner you can't beat an E or C-15

Big power is a different conversation, but I think that for an engine that you just want to push the button and go the E's are real hard to beat. I know of a couple 455's that have gone a million without being opened up. The 475 and 550's don't seem to have that kind of longevity but they still do pretty good. I also don't think the crank issue is as big a problem as its been made out to be.

1LW's had the crank issues however they were made in 1998 so if it hasn't broke by now it's not going to.

Oh about the 379 posted earlier, your paying for a paint job. Unless everything has been replaced it's not a deal, high mileage trucks like that can nickle and dime you to death.

Last edited:
1LW's had the crank issues however they were made in 1998 so if it hasn't broke by now it's not going to.

The farm I work for has the crank let go in our 98 378 last year. 1lw E motor. 860k miles. There are still some out there waiting to bite people.

Will

Sent from my flashscan v2

Ah what the heck my two cents. As said earlier theres nothing wrong with the e model, except the crank. The few I saw that happen two were all 475hp's that were turned to 550 if that makes a difference idk.

That pete looks overpriced to me.

I know several people that pull hoppers and the ones that did the best started out with ex fleet trucks and paid cash for them. Were talking like 5-10k dollar trucks, then ran them cheap and sold them to local farmers for about what they paid for them when they were done. Most of them have upgraded to pretty nice trucks, but paid cash for them so if they set for three weeks its not panic.