Truckers, lets see your rigs!

KT ? that must have been before my time , is it called anything else ? is it like a big cam ?

They were offered up until 84 or 85 I think, hp ratings on the truck engines were 450, 525, and 600. They are 1150CID 6.25" stroke and 6.25" stroke, the fuel system is same as big cam, they also have six individual heads. Part prices these days make cat prices look cheap.

It was cummins' way of competing with the 12v71 detroits and cat 1693s initially then cat went to the 3408, always heard it took a good running KTA600 to keep up with a stock 425hp 1693 in the mountains.

They made a few recessed firewall standard hood 359s to shove the KT in them.

He's also got this one in the cellar. Crazy thing is that its got a Cummins KT in it
4udaqyde.jpg

Let me guess, it's not for sale. Plenty of people would like to snatch that up, that pete is a rare one.

Let me guess, it's not for sale. Plenty of people would like to snatch that up, that pete is a rare one.

I didn't know It was even an option. I thought it stopped in the 70s to. How much do they run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few trucks into the early 80s that have original K series engines, I think there is a 84 W900B on the truck paper with one in it.

I'm not sure on prices, just depends on what someone is willing to give. There is not really a good baseline for old trucks, but anything with a K, 3408, or 12v71 usually will fetch a pretty good premium.

1150 CI , Damn , thats definatly some BIG POWER , Potentially of course ..

I have a 67 Trans star 400 8V71 truck , 5 - 5 4.88's fully locked up ..

Oh its for sale, and he doesn't know what he's got. The story on these ol trucks is that my wife's grandfather got them each brand new to use on his farm, well he retired about 15 years ago and passed the trucks to his oldest son who gave them to his son for his new trucking venture......it didn't work out for him so he gave the trucks back to his dad and they've both sat for the last several years untouched, I got in contact with my wife's uncle about buying a belly dump trailer from him and he offered me the trucks and a trailer instead, told me to make him an offer and he'd see what he thinks. So I offered him 20k for both trucks and a belly dump as they sit without seeing either truck run. He said he'd consider it and let me know.

If I can get it out of him for the price I want to pay then I'll go raid the local truck parts yard and buy an analog dash panel. And some new gauges from somebody (probably going to cost a fair amount????)

If I can get it out of him for the price I want to pay then I'll go raid the local truck parts yard and buy an analog dash panel. And some new gauges from somebody (probably going to cost a fair amount????)

Fair amount? To get an old truck like that road worthy enough where your not playing full time road side mechanic is going to scare you. Friend has an '83 359 and after all new wiring, all new air lines and fittings, fuel lines, valves he's still fixing stuff. And he stretched it with very late model cutoff so your going to probably need everything brake related on the rear that he didn't need since his axles were relatively new. He likes his but still admits after all the $$ he's poured into it your still riding around in a truck that's cold in the winter and nearly impossible to take a phone call while driving due to the noise.

I can appreciate an old classic truck but no way in hell would I want to work one. But I wish good luck to anyone who wants to try.

I was talking about the cost of replacing the digital gauges with factory analog units. But you do bring up some excellent points

Fair amount? To get an old truck like that road worthy enough where your not playing full time road side mechanic is going to scare you. Friend has an '83 359 and after all new wiring, all new air lines and fittings, fuel lines, valves he's still fixing stuff. And he stretched it with very late model cutoff so your going to probably need everything brake related on the rear that he didn't need since his axles were relatively new. He likes his but still admits after all the $$ he's poured into it your still riding around in a truck that's cold in the winter and nearly impossible to take a phone call while driving due to the noise.

I can appreciate an old classic truck but no way in hell would I want to work one. But I wish good luck to anyone who wants to try.

A 359 isn't bad, mine is tighter a quieter than the 99 379 I'm renting, the doors are the same from 73 to now. Any used truck is going to have issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I can get both of those trucks out of him I'm going to fix the issues the long hood has and run it, where its been sitting so long I fully understand its going to have issues, I already know the heater box and all the ductwork is going to need replaced due to mice, the rest of the interior is complete and in good condition and the exterior just needs a good cleaning and buffing, and after all that's done I think I'll have a solid workhorse until the time comes where I can buy a newer truck and retire the 359 and start working on a restoration.

Not sure what I'd do with the 74, probably clean it up and fix a few things and either keep it for a spare truck or sell it. No way could I keep fuel in a KT where I'm just starting out. Haha. And as for that 84 that I took out a loan to get......I'm putting everything on hold for a bit until I hear back from my wife's uncle on those two trucks.

I know what your going through , I am looking into becoming trucker my self, but with the cost of insurance,fuel, Getting a DOT #, Heck I just wanna use my dodge to haul cars or something simple .. seems like guys are making fairly decent livings doing it , But , I dunno .. maybe after shoulder surgery I can just get my wrenches and get back to fixing all that people seem to break !!

Someone explain to me if this was a factory deal or if it's been messed with... It's killing me. It's parked at my hotel.
9eguma8e.jpg

ugebuqe8.jpg

Back