Truckers, lets see your rigs!

We had a cabover Pete converted to Toterhome. It had a 350 Big Cam, 3.55's and a 9 speed direct, I dual fed the Head, installed a zero button, and shimmed the rpm up to 2400rpm. 74-75 MPH at 2500rpm everywhere we wanted to go... I found a 13 speed sitting in a guys barn in the dirt, I tore it down and put a new bearing kit and gaskets in it. And I flipped the drive and driven gears on the counter and input/main shafts. I made my own double over 13. We turned 1100rpm at 55mph, and 1600rpm at 85mph if I remember right. We hauled light though, lol.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1452174514727.jpg
    FB_IMG_1452174514727.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
Where are you from? Cause I've actually spent more team east of me or south. Little north.
However I like to run at night and when the speed limit is 70-75, I like to run 75 or so but not worth it when you're twisting it too tight to get good fuel mileage, extra wear and tear, etc.

My blue truck was lp 22's, 3:36's, and 13.
On an electronic Cat, I don't see a need in anything lower than 3:55's unless heavy haul or some other less than normal circumstance.
The red truck with the 18, 3:55's, and lp 24's, was a strong puller, had a tune in it. However you'd never split the bottom side. At least where I ran. Then it was maxed at about 72.

Manitoba, Canada. Rough roads and mostly 2 lane.

Direct keeps driveline speeds down, so less loss from having to turn the u joints. A lot of these company trucks are 10 directs with 2.xx rears.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Direct is 1:1 right? Which would be 11th? I think the loss comes from changing the ratio in the transmission not a slower spinning u joint.
Today's transmissions like a 13 spd are actually under driving when splitter is in low location as far as I thought.

Mine seemed to like shifting between 1800-2000

Wow! Bob tailing?

So a little higher than say a Bmodel?

I shift mine at about 12-1300 on the low side and 1500 on the high side, bob tailing with a 15 speed. My dad the same in his work truck under normal conditions with a 13 speed.

I don't like to make them scream.

Wow! Bob tailing?

I shift mine at about 12-1300 on the low side and 1500 on the high side, bob tailing with a 15 speed. My dad the same in his work truck under normal conditions with a 13 speed.
Bobtail I always shift low, 1800-2000 loaded haha

Yea I'm talking loaded.

What I'm getting at is this... On a big cat, I don't like to run them long periods of time over 1700. I try for 15-1600.

I realize an 855 doesn't like to be lugged and won't live lugged down like a cat (within reason).
So let's say 70mph loaded down the highway... Cummins like 1800ish to live a good happy life??

Last edited:
A C model you can get away with pulling down to 1400 or a little lower if it is stock, that is a good way to burn one up though if it is cranked, and no mechanical 855 should be worked hard below 15-1600.

All these engine only made their rated power at their governed rpm, so if your B was governed at 1900 that is where it makes its 425 or 400 at, same goes for the cummins.

Yea I'm talking loaded.

What I'm getting at is this... On a big cat, I don't like to run them long periods of time over 1700. I try for 15-1600.

I realize an 855 doesn't like to be lugged and won't live lugged down like a cat (within reason).
So let's say 70mph loaded down the highway... Cummins like 1800ish to live a good happy life??

The W900B that was sold would pull right with a stock 550 acert if you used the rpm, the old man had to down shift to 12th and let her sing at 2200 but she stayed right with the big truck the guy thought he had.

f1c24bca674417e5ccbe7b74ed518be2.jpg

New hotness! Western trailers' super R-tac hoppers.

The W900B that was sold would pull right with a stock 550 acert if you used the rpm, the old man had to down shift to 12th and let her sing at 2200 but she stayed right with the big truck the guy thought he had.

Bare with me here Cody... I'm learning and making sure I understand your take on this correctly.
I have an awesome example.
Truck in looking at has a 350 Cummins. Guy who owns it said 65mph is 2000 rpm. If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not gonna hurt that motor one bit to leave it geared like that?
My only problem with it is interstate travel would kinda suck with that kinda gearing.

Bare with me here Cody... I'm learning and making sure I understand your take on this correctly.
Truck in looking at has a 350 Cummins. Guy who owns it said 65mph is 2000 rpm. If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not gonna hurt that motor one bit to leave it geared like that?
My only problem with it is interstate travel would kinda suck with that kinda gearing.

It isn't ideal, but no 2000rpm isn't going to damage anything by running for an extended amount of time.

Hope to finish it tomorrow and I'll get a better picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20160107_202455958.jpg
    IMG_20160107_202455958.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

It isn't ideal, but no 2000rpm isn't going to damage anything by running for an extended amount of time.

Dad bought a Brand spanking new International Eagle cabover in 1984...400 Cummins, 13spd, 4.10 gears. She'd run 83MPH downhill at 100K with a tailwind, and 80MPH at 100K on flat ground....geared out! We put about 1.5 million on that thing in 10 years, and she was run HARD it's whole life...Driver used to keep it ABOVE 2K when climbing hills, and let it cruise around 2K just cruising. They like RPM.

Big shocker to us going to a 1995 3406E 435hp that turned a whopping 1800RPM...but probably the best running truck we had until this new glider was put together, and Faulkner turned up the MBN.
Chris

Back