U D C

Has anyone been reading the PDF files?
They are dated early this year but reads like S06POD to be 1st release and SSR following that?

SmartyUDCSoftware.pdf
-The first release will be for the S06PoD ( Covers the 5.9L CR from 2003 to 2007). The SSR version is in the works and will follow shortly after the initial release. All other versions for the VP and 6.7L trucks will follow ASAP. It's a lot of work...

Also talks about a Basic(1st release) and Professional version(Some point in the future)

With the udc, can you set the rp map and forget about it? I'm bored bouncing back and forth with duration and rp settings on the ssr.

Yes.

I would build your RP map how you want it, or how you think you want it. Then adjust your timing to get it working optimally. Once that is done then start tweaking the duration and RP (but not at once) and realize that each tweak to duration or RP will also require a timing tweak.

I have been working on my own timing calculator. It's a lot of math, and not automatic. But the work pays off.

Has anyone been reading the PDF files?
They are dated early this year but reads like S06POD to be 1st release and SSR following that?

SmartyUDCSoftware.pdf
-The first release will be for the S06PoD ( Covers the 5.9L CR from 2003 to 2007). The SSR version is in the works and will follow shortly after the initial release. All other versions for the VP and 6.7L trucks will follow ASAP. It's a lot of work...

Also talks about a Basic(1st release) and Professional version(Some point in the future)

That was the initial press release from January. Jr, Sr, SSR are all currently supported (with Dongles) for 5.9L CR trucks.

The other pdf files are new, and dated 13Sep.

Who came up with the word dongle?? Guess it's gonna stick unless someone comes up with a better word! Did I mention I want one!

I have, just haven't been able to drive with it to see if I add duration, then I have to add rp and vice versa.

I just chased down a high psi fuel leak, now I gotta see how to fix it, might need a new rp sensor, and a fitting into my top pump before I can go play.

I didn't do anything too aggressive, I guess I could load the tune up and see what it does.

Question for anyone..

I have been puzzled by this for quite sometime.. This quote came from the UDC tuning tips PDF under timing section, "A higher timing does: More power, lower EGT's, more smoke, better MPG and less boost.

Why does increased timing create more smoke??

One would think, it would be the opposite because of it adds more power (longer/complete fuel burn time) and better MPG (more efficient use of fuel)..

Thanks,

Randy Lawless

AH64ID
You have the Jr and are working from the SJRV514B_URS01B version?

Are you aware of any SSR beta users working from the SSR59V411I_USS01B version?
I am following a few forum postings that are SSR related and do not see many people using the SSR version SSR59V411I_USS01B and am trying to figure out why?

I as of yesterday downloaded SSR59V411I_USS01B and want to try and get comfortable with this if it will be the version needed once UDC is released. I have ran all versions 1.5-1.7 and liked 1.5 the best for my truck.

1st pass with SSR59V411I_USS01B I am awaiting some feedback as to why no one seems to be using this before I go crazy with this version.

Thanks and looking forward to a usb dongle...

Question for anyone..

I have been puzzled by this for quite sometime.. This quote came from the UDC tuning tips PDF under timing section, "A higher timing does: More power, lower EGT's, more smoke, better MPG and less boost.

One would think, it would be the opposite because of it adds more power (longer/complete fuel burn time) and better MPG (more efficient use of fuel)..

Thanks,

Randy Lawless

Not 100% sure, but this is probably referring to a transient condition (acceleration) where spool comes into play. A higher timing spools the turbo slower.

jp, my SSR could not be read by the UDC software until I updated it to the June 9th update, then it was all good to go. Even tho it was working, I updated it to the september update just to get the latest and greatest, and that works too.

Question for anyone..

Thanks,

Randy Lawless

I think there are several reasons why. I think a lot of it comes from the pilot injection. The pilot injection greatly reduces the injection delay, and that can lead to more smoke. I also think it has something to do with our piston design in 04.5-07.

I do know that when I increased timing a little at low load/rpm I got a bit more smoke, but then I decided to increase it even more and 99% of the smoke went away. This is one of the reasons I built a timing calc, it to see when the fuel is injecting, not just taking a stab in the dark.

But even older, simpler, single pulse and fixed timing motors could see more smoke at peak torque from advanced timing. Diesel Timing Don't use this to time a CR, just an example of effects.

I have gotten my setup to where it's a light haze at most, and then a light gray haze and not black (unless I try). I can live with that, as there doesn't appear to be any haze at cruise, empty or loaded, just under transient conditions and then not always.

For me the real answer will be in the oil. Before when I ran TM4 on my SJR it was hard on the oil, but looking at the samples of SW3 on the UDC I think I can see why. The cruise timing was retarded enough (based on stock tables) that I think there was a lot of spraying outside the bowl. I think with my current timing profile I am doing a better job containing it all, which should lead to less soot on the walls and thus in the oil. I sent a UOA off this week, so we shall see... fingers crossed.

AH64ID

I am following a few forum postings that are SSR related and do not see many people using the SSR version SSR59V411I_USS01B and am trying to figure out why?

I as of yesterday downloaded SSR59V411I_USS01B and want to try and get comfortable with this if it will be the version needed once UDC is released. I have ran all versions 1.5-1.7 and liked 1.5 the best for my truck.

1st pass with SSR59V411I_USS01B I am awaiting some feedback as to why no one seems to be using this before I go crazy with this version.

Yes I am. You have to run the latest software or UDC will not work. If you switch to UDC you won't be setting any of the other settings for SSR. You get the SSR base tune, but timing/duration/rail are all set in real numbers on a map. Basically at that point SSR gets you higher limits and a different base tune over the SO6.

Last edited:
I'm running the SSR 1b, and the latest UDC.

Tuning the timing is everything. Especially on a highly modified truck.

On a 04.5-07 truck, it would be very hard to advance the timing enough to get fuel to spray outside of the bowl. 03=04 is much easier. Here is a pic of a 05 piston. This piston came out of the truck when it was tuned for about 865hp.

05UsedPiston.jpg

Fuel is sprayed in the center of the bowl (you can see how far in the pic), and then the flame moves out.

Really late timing will cause oil dulition. The post injection event is a prime example of that.

Paul

Hmm... I was think more on the retarded back end of the injection event, throw a post on that, and well...

As far as advance goes, yeah it would take some high advance at low rpm's to spray ahead of the bowl. The pilot is going to have a better chance than the main.

All I know is I seem to put more soot into my oil than most do, but no idea where it comes from. I am referring to 04.5-07's, considering I run a bypass as well.

I should have my UOA results here in the next few days. Of the 5600 miles on the oil, about 55-60% have been towing at 17-18K GCW.

Just got my UOA report. No increase in soot over normal, so I think the timing I have is better than before. On a side note, the OEM air filter works pretty damn good!

I will be doing a good flush at this next change to see if I can't get it even lower. The little oil that stays in the motor isn't helping the next interval.

well, I grew a set and loaded my tune, took it out for a bit, nothing crazy but feels real smooth down low.

That's good.

I am seriously considering upgrading to a Sr. I want to be able to adjust rail pressure, not up, just make a better map.

Last edited:
AH64ID

I am running the SSR version. My truck it primarily a race truck though. I sneak it out on the road once in a while but I am sure the cops might frown on a truck running 4 slicks on it. Lol So most of my imput would be just from running at the track.
The last time I was at the track I ran my custom version that I made. Everything worked great it spooled good and ran smooth but I was pretty conservative with it in the timing and fuel duration so It really wasn't that fast of tune. I didn't time to build another custom tune for it with more fuel in it so I switched back to the SSR part of the software and tuned with that. I was presently surprised it seemed to fuel a lot harder then the previous version for the SSR that I had which was 1.1. I ran my best ever pass on fuel at 10.38 @ 133 mph that was without a lot of timing in it because I was trying to tune it for running nitrous.

Back