UDC Sample Tunes

ah, so he would need to have an ssr unit to make a sample I could see...

error_zps1580209d.jpg

Now about that low to medium accel smoke??

I would start by lowering your timing in the spool area and the acceleration area coming out of cruise. When accelerating from cruise you want the timing to drop off fairly quick and then gradually increase it up into the power zone. Watch your load as you accelerate/spool up with normal to moderate acceleration. Mine stays right around 25 to 30 load, those are the areas I decrease timing to help spooling and I have zero smoke even with aggressive (Mid) acceleration..

AcclerationPath_zps806b9f42-1_zps4dbf53fc.jpg

Your Timing Map
Dangerous06_zps9aab3c3a.png

Last edited:
Is that your gragh? I smoothed mine out like that now it's time to test! I noticed your 400 to 600rpm is flat no peaks in timing does this do anything? All the samples have that rise between 50 and 100 load?

What affect does the wastegate have on users that have either a fooler or another product that sends ECM map signal? I have a fooler plugged into where my electronic wastgate used to connect so ECM does not set any error codes. With my compound setup the Stock turbo is using a spring to control gate. My MAP sensor has my TST into it. I do not use the TST since getting smarty but had left it connected because some other section I had read that the TST does a good job in regard to boost fooling even when set to 0(factory)

Looked at the Dangerous06 sample and can see he has wastegate set very low.. But looking at his sig can tell he is probably not using electronic wastgate at all any longer.

I have mine flat at the 39 line as I did not think this setting would even affect the other parameters?

My truck runs again and will start testing various settings to see how it works on my combination. Want to get my Ultra_Gauge setup so I can try and watch what is happening at various loads. Lots of things to watch and change now with UDC.

I am not sure if MADS has figured out how to "fool" above 44 psi yet.

I supposed you could max out the WG table, and remove the TST and go see what happens??

Yeah, that is my table.. I see no difference with or without the rise between 400 & 600 rpm so far, I'm sure it's there for some reason though.. The rise between 50-100 is basically the power zone, I have the same rise, I just cut off all of the sharp edges and made it run smooth, the valley is probably more for emissions but, it helps spool the turbo before moving into the power zone which reduces smoke when accelerating out of cruising. The little bump (in the samples) in the valley about 1600-2000 rpm at 35-50% load would be the area while towing.. When I tow 10K I'm cruising at 1600-1800 rpms at 40-45% load flat land.. (the example graph is not intended for towing) See how the grey area from corner to corner is highlighted? That is basically how a typical gradual (moderate power) acceleration run would be.. Making the valley a bit deeper and wider with a gradual clime will help spool your turbo before moving into the power zone and reduce smoke.

Boost, Fueling & Timing

Can someone school me on how boost and larger injector nozzles effect timing..

Why should the timing advance for larger injectors? (As in Smarty SW, options timing advanced for larger injectors)

Also, how does boost effect timing and how much?

When you look at the Revo/TNT options on the S06 for timing you will see that as injectors increase in size the timing decreases. This is because the larger nozzle gets fuel into the cylinder quicker and you have less of an ignition delay. I can't say for certain, but at high loads and rpms I am not sure the difference would be huge, but at low load/low rpms I think it would be a bit more.

When talking about boost think about ignition delay. As boost increases (and we mean airflow, but only way to measure it on a 5.9 is manifold pressure) the ignition delay decreases. This is because the higher volume of air in the cylinder gets hotter with the compression stroke, and ignites the fuel easier.

The ECM has boost vs timing tables built in, and those are part of the base tune that we do not have to mess with on UDC.

Thanks AH64ID,

I Increased timing in the Cruising areas close to what the Revo 9 sample had and decreased RP in the same areas, now my EGT's area 100*-150* higher along with DP (of Course) but the engine seems to run a lot better and feels as though there is less restriction for the motor.. Everything just seems to run clean easy.. Aim I running more efficient maybe?

That's about where I am as well. I run a little hotter, but seem to be smoother and more efficient.

Since you lowered rail pressure the pulse width is longer, and with retarded timing the injector is open later and that is why the EGT's are up. You could add a little timing back in and see how it reacts.

That's about where I am as well. I run a little hotter, but seem to be smoother and more efficient.

Since you lowered rail pressure the pulse width is longer, and with retarded timing the injector is open later and that is why the EGT's are up. You could add a little timing back in and see how it reacts.

I increased timing in cruz zone.. That's why I'm stumped, but its probably the duration like you said, I Only increased it (timing) one degree mostly

Whoops, read that backwords.

But I think the EGT's are from the longer/lower pressure pulse. The truck seems to like it, but it is a bit warmer.

I need to clean up 1400-1600 RPM @40%-55% eng area. Up timing or reduce rail pressure?

Well it's not timing. Just raised 1.5 - 2 degrees and got more smoke.

This is what I'm running now. This is pretty clean for me I know my truck does not like a bunch of timing down low.

Attachments

• S06P_010.zip
    S06P_010.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
  • TimingSP06_10.jpg
    TimingSP06_10.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PSI_SP06_10.jpg
    PSI_SP06_10.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1
Am I the only person that has noticed that the TNT-9 settings show 30* timing advance above ~50% load?

Ryan

Back