upgraded ecm for the vp's!

I bought Dan Painters old truck with a simple TS MVP I am able to hit 4000,according to the tack and maintain it. Surely my tach is off

That might be useful. This one is from an auto. I wish I could just find all of the factory update files so that I don't have to open anymore of them. I might also have to mail one off to get someone to assist with flash support.

Have you tryed using J2534 with the Chryslers http://www.techauthority.com system. I was able to down load the manual flash for 2001 so i could change the ecm from a Auto to the manual. I didnt get it done because i have a problem with the obd11 connection. Hope this will help you .

Have you tryed using J2534 with the Chryslers http://www.techauthority.com system. I was able to down load the manual flash for 2001 so i could change the ecm from a Auto to the manual. I didnt get it done because i have a problem with the obd11 connection. Hope this will help you .

Are the files that they have available in an encypted format? If you have one from them, please let me know and I can check the format.

Are the files that they have available in an encypted format? If you have one from them, please let me know and I can check the format.

Sorry vwmikel, have no idea as to what format. All I know is I have a little green button on the bottom of the computor screen which is the Chrysler Flash ready to go. From what i can see from Cummins Quickserve Online, are all the updates they have done over time to each model engine. Sorry I cant help much more than that.

Sorry vwmikel, have no idea as to what format. All I know is I have a little green button on the bottom of the computor screen which is the Chrysler Flash ready to go. From what i can see from Cummins Quickserve Online, are all the updates they have done over time to each model engine. Sorry I cant help much more than that.

I think all of the Cummins files are in a .CAL format though and I probably can't use them. My issue is just that I'd like to get the full range of factory update files and that may prove difficult.

Just a thought. If you ring Bob Wagner, re smarty tuners or Edge products Tech, really nice guys, they would know the answer you are after. Other than that Cummins protocol is J1939 CAN, and dodges is SCI J2610. I would think the transfer of info would be a standed format re the protocols used. Chryslers flash updates is not very dear. $30.00 for a day pass and you can down load what ever you want. Just have to down load they program and follow the trail, and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Just thinking, anything you do from a Chrysler side re obd11 are CAN Bus won't change the 2800 rpm defuel. All those paramiters are set in stone on the Cummins side of the ECM. Cummins were going to sell me a ECM to get me going in the early days and one of the questions was what gearing i had so they could set the RPM Defaul point so I couldn't speed. So the answer to the 2800 problem is being able to just change that number. Cummins Techs won't let you have acsess to there laptops but I have seen those pionts you need to change. Becuase these ECM are 2/3 Cummins 1/3 Dodge you need to chase the Cummins side.

Typically any ECU has two separate portions including the flash and a serial eeprom. The flash is where tuning data and such is stored and the serial eeprom is where things like diagnostic trouble codes are stored for retrieval by the scan tools. In some ECU's it can also store adaptations to the flash data which are meant to allow some flexibility to the parameters. I've talked to several people and glanced at the Cummins Insite software. From what I've been able to determine this ECU does not support much of any changes being made this way (they're labelled as "Read Only"), but even if they did I don't think it would allow enough range to increase the rev limit like everyone is asking for. I've located some data in the flash which I believe shows fueling dropping off shortly after 3000 RPM, so unless you can adapt over wide ranges I think we need to get to the root of the problem and alter the flash data.

The way I understand it, whether you're working with J1939 or J2610, they lead to the same ECU just using different communications protocols. Though, some functions are only available one way or the other. I may end up subscribing to tech authority to grab what I can. But, it would be nice to know what the format is before hand or I may be wasting time and money.

Hi VWMIKEL. If you had that Flash from CHRYSLER, no doubt you could see how they do there file Flashes. When I was chasing my problem Cummins gave me a print out of all things in the ECM I had.
ECM CODE which is Cummins = J90827.06
There are 8 file Bs as they are called Loaded by Chrysler via OBD11,
1= 3957042000
8= 3949877000
On page 11 of the print out is a thing called a Short Term Map 1 which shows RPM being cut at 2875 and the map drawing finishing at 3300. Hope is can help you along.

I got the plug from Roachie today and spent some time building a new harness that brings all of the power connections down to a single pair of wires and runs all of the bus wires to an OBD port so that I can finish testing without all of the connection issues. So far this has greatly simplified things so I can do a bit more research on this.

The B's are likely sectors. I noticed between the couple of software versions I have that the boot sector looks to be the same and the VIN is actually stored in the flash. That seems a bit odd, but it makes me think this ECU may support partial flash. If not, I may have to manually enter the VIN for each ECU.

Do these ECU's incorporate any sort of immobilizer? If you switch ECU's between trucks do you need to correct the VIN or anything else to get it to run?

I have a 2000 Cummins auto, with a 1998.5 ECU auto, just switched them for each other & everything works just fine, no codes, no problems.

I needed to test my ecm.I used a friends and the only problem i had was the pcm and ecm didnt jive together.Truck ran fine.Just gave me a mismatch code.There may be some kinda link from the ecm to the pcm? Like i said the truck ran fine.Only a soft code.

Last edited:
Ha VW MIKEL. Have you tryed to talk to the ECM yet on the bench. Thats about as far as I got, with no connection was the message. So after several goes gave up for now, but will bring the PCM in on the wiring and will try again later. Spoke to the Cummins Engineer here yesterday. He said all codes are written in the USA and if you want to change it for any reason you have to put it in writing for what reason and if they agree it will cost you a ARM and a LEG to get it. LOL. But in saying that there is a guy here that reconds and fixes the ECMs here that has been knowen to back door ECMs. Im not saying the Dodge Cummins ECM but in general stuff that he works on. When I get the time I will ring him and see what he has to say.