Very small 12 valve tow twins

Tonight we got the isolator, rear battery, and relay/water pump all wired up. The relay for the pump jumps off the signal wire/post on the isolator, which is mounted on the fender in the passenger side battery box/tool holder. All run off one switch in the cab. Now I can also hook up the trailer winch to the bed for convenience and not drain the main battery if I don't want to leave the truck running.

Just have to get the radiator in and run the hose to the coolers from the bed.

Get to it mikey!

I'm trying. I know I could get it done tomorrow but I have to work during the day for a bit, and that'll kill 4 good hours of day light. Then I have to work wednesday night. I may just have to work in the dark tomorrow night. I really want to get this done and get some road miles on it before TS.

Last edited:
Could always put a Hobbs pressure switch on oil pressure and use that to activate the pump. That way it will only run when engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing to think about with low rpm power is the torque converter on an auto. Youll want to match the converter stall to your projected peak torque.
If you have an aftermarket cam on that engine, it may also fight what youre trying to do by moving the efficiency sweet spot further up in the rpms.
I shot myself in the foot a few times figuring that out.. trying to do re-invent the wheel., lol.

Another thing to think about with low rpm power is the torque converter on an auto. Youll want to match the converter stall to your projected peak torque.
If you have an aftermarket cam on that engine, it may also fight what youre trying to do by moving the efficiency sweet spot further up in the rpms.
I shot myself in the foot a few times figuring that out.. trying to do re-invent the wheel., lol.

It's supposed to be a stock stall, but after 2 years, I'm pretty sure it's only a 1400 stall LOL. Thats fine though, I'm thinking the he351 will be able to start moving before then. Cam is just a 181.

Got everything together and running. Made a trip around the block, but not enough room or speed limit to get the primary lit. Plus I have the he351 gate pretty tight. But she spools like a slut in a sexaholic meeting.

Question: for those with he351cw over average s400 setups, when can I expect the 478 to spool? I know it depends on the secondary gate and fuel, but on average, when should I expect it to come alive?

I got my Garrett twins installed (3782/4202) and spools right around 1250 rpm. I have to wonder if I had gone with the 3582 instead of the 3782 BUT lower drive pressures also with the turbine side on the 3782. Truck runs absolutely awesome with these twins.

DSC_5200-M.jpg

Install%203-M.jpg

Lost about 100* EGT and the engine runs like a jet turbine. Smooth and clean.

I got my Garrett twins installed (3782/4202) and spools right around 1250 rpm. I have to wonder if I had gone with the 3582 instead of the 3782 BUT lower drive pressures also with the turbine side on the 3782. Truck runs absolutely awesome with these twins.

DSC_5200-M.jpg

Install%203-M.jpg

Lost about 100* EGT and the engine runs like a jet turbine. Smooth and clean.

holy ****. by spools, do you mean moves off zero, or is 20+psi?

Y those are all ball bearing turbos mike.. Drrooooolll baby.
2 grand you should be hearing big boy light or so...
You need to tune a lot afterwards. No twin kit is right after instal

Got everything together and running. Made a trip around the block, but not enough room or speed limit to get the primary lit. Plus I have the he351 gate pretty tight. But she spools like a slut in a sexaholic meeting.

Question: for those with he351cw over average s400 setups, when can I expect the 478 to spool? I know it depends on the secondary gate and fuel, but on average, when should I expect it to come alive?

I dont have an HE351, but I got an s360 over an s480 and my twins start making boost at 1200rpm. At 1500rpm I have 15psi boost and 7psi out of the 480. 1600-1700rpm is 20psi easy. Staging it on the brakes I can make 40psi total with the primary doing 20psi super easy. This is on a 06 common rail.

You need to tune a lot afterwards. No twin kit is right after instal

Yeah I just need something to shoot for lol

I dont have an HE351, but I got an s360 over an s480 and my twins start making boost at 1200rpm. At 1500rpm I have 15psi boost and 7psi out of the 480. 1600-1700rpm is 20psi easy. Staging it on the brakes I can make 40psi total with the primary doing 20psi super easy. This is on a 06 common rail.

Cheater.

LOL

holy ****. by spools, do you mean moves off zero, or is 20+psi?

Just starting to build... That would be pretty incredible to be at 20 psi at 1300 rpm! BUT once it starts and IF I am getting on it, it slams to >40 psi almost instantly. The Tial 44mm is set at around 38 psi by spring (bench set) according to what Pat told me. He said don't screw with it as he sets up all his twins correctly from the shop. The boost comes on brutally quickly when needed. Those twin Garretts are a huge improvement in how the engine is running. They were chosen for DD and towing as I never race or sled pull with this truck. Installed a 5" turbo back exhaust as part of the job and on the road can barely hear the exhaust. It is rumbly coming off idle but never loud at all. Extremely happy with this setup. Its like driving a jet turbine around so smooth and clean. Almost no smoke and 100* cooler EGTs. Sweet. :rockwoot:

Got some really good runs in tonight. I'd say butt dyno puts it at least 800hp. It pulls from 1400rpm until you let off the throttle. If I lock it and roll into it from 1000rpm, it builds about 25-30psi by 1400rpm and then just pegs the 100psi gauge by 1600rpm. Blew my breather off the oil filler and it lodged between the starter and the block. If I'm cruising over 1600rpm, I can floor it and peg the 100psi gauge almost instantly. I know boost isn't a final indicator of horsepower, but it's a pretty good number from a 60 over 78mm charger.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this setup. Newsmoke's fab work was incredible considering all he had was a block on a stand. 4bt40 got some video, but he was too inebriated to figure out how to put it on youtube. So maybe tomorrow LOL

Last edited:
Wow that SOB flat out spools!Wonder what drive pressure is.

Sent from phone

No idea yet, I need another 100psi gauge for that, ordering next pay check.

I'm thinking of dyno'ing at the street car takeover event this weekend, I'm dying to know what she makes for torque now.

Soooooo, oil pan gasket gave up on life last night. It drips like a bad faucet now.

Is the easiest way to change it still to lift the engine out about a foot and pull it out under the trans?