Who would be interested in a CNC ported head?

Would you buy a CNC ported cylinder head?

• Nope, no interest at all.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sounds exactly like what I have been waiting for!

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
Thank you RD! And Rich!!!!!!!!

The problem with a CNC ported head is the cost/benefits to the average guy.

I actually see porting becoming a lot more common in the next few years. Natural progression of the sport, but more mild port jobs, and then the guys that step up to either an aftermarket head, or cut off intakes...

Thank you RD! And Rich!!!!!!!!

I actually see porting becoming a lot more common in the next few years. Natural progression of the sport, but more mild port jobs, and then the guys that step up to either an aftermarket head, or cut off intakes...

X2

Even though I would LOVE an aftermarket head, the money isn't there for me right now. So I'll do it the old fashioned way for now...boost:D

Chris

x3 on Aftermarket head. The stock casting geomotry leaves little to be desired. . . . .

Thanks for getting this back in the right direction! I realize this isn't for the average guy. There are MANY guys that spend ridiculous money on their truck in search of every last ounce of performance. Most of it might be just to say they have the stuff...I know I get caught up in that vicious cycle from time to time....I don't know. Either way, I think I am going to pursue this starting with the 6.7l and 5.9 CR. It sounds like Scheid Diesel and Indy might be taking care of the big players in the sport. Maybe I can catch the middle ground if this pans out.

Thanks for getting this back in the right direction! I realize this isn't for the average guy. There are MANY guys that spend ridiculous money on their truck in search of every last ounce of performance. Most of it might be just to say they have the stuff...I know I get caught up in that vicious cycle from time to time....I don't know. Either way, I think I am going to pursue this starting with the 6.7l and 5.9 CR. It sounds like Scheid Diesel and Indy might be taking care of the big players in the sport. Maybe I can catch the middle ground if this pans out.
No problem. I can derail with the best of them, but I do think you have an interesting idea.

Problem is that I don't know that there is enough of the middle ground to make it worth your time in R&D. Especially considering that what was once extreme is now an every day thing. Porting will be the same way. In 2-3 years we'll see lots of cut off intakes and some custom heads on true street trucks. 800 is common now, there will be a time that 1000 is a street truck. And when that happens, the middle ground will be very small. Why not just step up to a true high flow port job or aftermarket head at that point?

It would be nice if there was a cheaper way, but there doesn't seem to be. I've been dreading having the 6.7 head done because of all the talk about reduced life span (not me, the head) from too much porting , and there are some that say bowl work and cutting off the intake for a little light work is all thats needed. I remember how little the PDR stage 2 head cost new(by comparison) and it stings a bit thinking about what this one is going to run. I guess that's why alot of people try and get sponsers.

It would be nice if there was a cheaper way, but there doesn't seem to be. I've been dreading having the 6.7 head done because of all the talk about reduced life span (not me, the head) from too much porting , and there are some that say bowl work and cutting off the intake for a little light work is all thats needed. I remember how little the PDR stage 2 head cost new(by comparison) and it stings a bit thinking about what this one is going to run. I guess that's why alot of people try and get sponsers.

How does porting come into play with reducing head life? More prone to cracking? Can anyone else vouch for this?

not sure. we have had ported heads at the shop from 5-6 yrs ago or more that came back in for freshening & still pressure test fine. i don't see how it can be more prone too cracking.

for all you guys that keep saying china heads have most casting for porting your wrong so whoever keeps telling you that dont believe it. i wont port a china head unless you want 160cfm head or less because you cut into water.stock 12v heads are anywhere from 117cfm to 133cfm depending on the bench an casting. just to clear this up.... international head casts are the best followed by the brazil casted heads. there's barely any difference. as for the heads with bigger cast water jackets....i'll believe it when i see it. greg you say its available to head porters then send me one. i'll pay to see it. hahaha. i can get serious with one then. and as for the cracks with more portwork.....that all depends on how big of a valve your using. the bigger the valve the more prone you are to cracking between the seats. and to all you guys that get on here to bash....stop wasteing your time bashing and just dont post unless you have something worth talking about with legit info. most of you bashers talk to much and are very falsely informed.as for greg hogue and young. their both good guys. they are always working on get better parts for diesels so maybe you should listen to what they have to say.