Why is the 7.3 weaker?

BilletGarage said:
Well David, I do know the old saying that "there is no replacement for displacement" but I also know that the right power to weight ratio can do wonders for ET in the 1/4 mile. Look at any of the small imports in the 10's some with less than 2 liters of displacement. Definately don't have your knowledge in the diesel arena but I'm content watching and learning. I definately wasn't trying to diminish your accomplishments with my comment. Your truck is impressive and no doubt you've put your heart and soul into building her. Truth is, I am excited to see you, Zane, and Gene battling for blue oval bragging rights.

I was just making the point that Stroked Lightning has run an 11.51 which is undeniable proof to me that a 6.0 can be competitive with the 7.3's in the current battle for the 10's. Maybe you'll prove me wrong. I am just a big fan of the little red truck and want to see it do well. That's all.

So when will we see that 11.27 backed up? :poke:
Thanks, I did not take it as a slam. Just the last part of the 3 tenths from the throne comment made me think you did not understand what is actually happening here. The 7.3 has an easy 100 horsepower over the 6.0 and that was with just a few Bolton parts on an other wise stock engine. Taking the power we had and just fine tuning the chassis to use the power would be an easy mid 10. For the record the time is 11.12 and was backed up with an 11.30 getting off the throttle then back on.
We are in a horsepower war with the Cummins and Dmax, not an ET war.

No,had a chance to try some really cool new tricks and went ahead and went with new gameplan, problem is engine will not be ready in time.

Powerstroke Racer said:
Thanks, I did not take it as a slam. Just the last part of the 3 tenths from the throne comment made me think you did not understand what is actually happening here. The 7.3 has an easy 100 horsepower over the 6.0 and that was with just a few Bolton parts on an other wise stock engine. Taking the power we had and just fine tuning the chassis to use the power would be an easy mid 10. For the record the time is 11.12 and was backed up with an 11.30 getting off the throttle then back on.
We are in a horsepower war with the Cummins and Dmax, not an ET war.

Oh wow! My bad David. Didn't realize you had gone 11.12 . . . So it was because the 11.30 run was not within the 1% margin that the 11.12 is not "official"? Shoot, and here I've been thinking that Zane's 11.21 in Vegas was the fastest run period in a Powerstroke. :kick: <<<<<<<< Guess I deserve that.

As far as it being a horsepower and not an ET war. . . . Do you see any Powerstroke including the new 6.4 ever being competitive with a Cummins (or Duramax) in horsepower? I saw 3 trucks (all Cummins powered) lay down over 1,000hp in Vegas, one on #2 only! Will we be seeing this kind of power out of a 7.3??? So is it displacement that gives the 7.3 the 100hp advantage or are these motors (6.0 - 7.3) really that different in setup and operating systems.

If I'm understanding you right, we could well see a 10 second pass from you with some chassis tuning and your current powertrain setup? That would be awesome! When and where? :drool1:

Powerstroke Racer said:
No,had a chance to try some really cool new tricks and went ahead and went with new gameplan, problem is engine will not be ready in time.
Well I will hope for next year buddy.

I bet you will see several 7.3 dinosaurs that will do 800+ this summer....

I "used" to think 1000 was impossible for a powerstroke.......

BilletGarage said:
Oh wow! My bad David. Didn't realize you had gone 11.12 . . . So it was because the 11.30 run was not within the 1% margin that the 11.12 is not "official"? Shoot, and here I've been thinking that Zane's 11.21 in Vegas was the fastest run period in a Powerstroke. :kick: <<<<<<<< Guess I deserve that.

As far as it being a horsepower and not an ET war. . . . Do you see any Powerstroke including the new 6.4 ever being competitive with a Cummins (or Duramax) in horsepower? I saw 3 trucks (all Cummins powered) lay down over 1,000hp in Vegas, one on #2 only! Will we be seeing this kind of power out of a 7.3??? So is it displacement that gives the 7.3 the 100hp advantage or are these motors (6.0 - 7.3) really that different in setup and operating systems.

If I'm understanding you right, we could well see a 10 second pass from you with some chassis tuning and your current powertrain setup? That would be awesome! When and where? :drool1:
With the new injectors, the new engine and new twins going in soon I'm pretty hopeful that we will be competitive with the Cummins as far as dragracing horsepower goes.
Everything else being equal the 7.3 will always make more power and torque than a 6.0. The 7.3 can simply ingest more air, more air ='s more power.

Powerstroke Racer said:
With the new injectors, the new engine and new twins going in soon I'm pretty hopeful that we will be competitive with the Cummins as far as dragracing horsepower goes.
Everything else being equal the 7.3 will always make more power and torque than a 6.0. The 7.3 can simply ingest more air, more air ='s more power.

You should ask the people that already run compounds about power, unless you are really running "twins" ala Gale Banks and the 600 HP DMAX. They don't work out of the box.......

bbunting said:
You should ask the people that already run compounds about power, unless you are really running "twins" ala Gale Banks and the 600 HP DMAX. They don't work out of the box.......
Sorry BB I was not made aware that you were making anywhere close to a 1000rwhp, my bad.
What compounds do you suggest for our little 1000 rwhp project?

Powerstroke Racer said:

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

That is good stuff David LOL

:stab:
Powerstroke Racer said:
Sorry BB I was not made aware that you were making anywhere close to a 1000rwhp, my bad.

:hehe:

Powerstroke Racer said:

Well, I would start with a Garrett GT42 fed with a GT55........and hope the heads hold.

I can tell you that my sloppy injectors are out of fuel, and my turbos are much bigger than your GT55......but what do I know.

bbunting said:
Well, I would start with a Garrett GT42 fed with a GT55........and hope the heads hold.

I can tell you that my sloppy injectors are out of fuel, and my turbos are much bigger than your GT55......but what do I know.
Thanks for the reply, a GT55 and a GT42R are what I had in mind also.
Hopefully mine will run as well as your does.
BTW How much power does yours make?

Sled pullers don't discuss HP, just feet. But it did make 509 HP two weeks ago.

I slept at a Holiday Inn last night....so I know everything. LOL

BTW BB....It was requested of me to smack you upside the head this weekend....so get ready. LOL

UNBROKEN said:
I slept at a Holiday Inn last night....so I know everything. LOL

BTW BB....It was requested of me to smack you upside the head this weekend....so get ready. LOL

LOL ......now boys where is the love.

BB not to be a ass. but I think that 509 for a compound system is on the weak side. could you explain why that is?

UNBROKEN said:
You think those 2 tell each other the truth ? :hehe:
Now now Richard, you know very well I have always been up front about what is on Snow White.
I sell what I race and I race what I sell, nothing more nothing less .!!

UNBROKEN said:

I hear ya on that one...but the reason I asked was because BB post a vid claiming 509 on another site.....so I thought it was the truth. Silly me:bang

UNBROKEN said:

My thoughts exactly! Twins making ONLY 509 horsepower? . . . Seems strange but then again, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I may be ignorant. :hehe:

Isn't BigrPwr making like 550+ with a single on #2? I know he put down over 700 in Vegas on spray . . .

Last edited:
Back