Why is the 7.3 weaker?

Powerstroke Racer said:
With the new injectors, the new engine and new twins going in soon I'm pretty hopeful that we will be competitive with the Cummins as far as dragracing horsepower goes.
Everything else being equal the 7.3 will always make more power and torque than a 6.0. The 7.3 can simply ingest more air, more air ='s more power.

Gotcha! And the 7.3 can ingest more air because of the larger displacement, right? So why such big numbers from the 5.9's?

Last edited:
BilletGarage said:
Gotcha! And the 7.3 can ingest more air because of the larger displacement, right? So why such big numbers from the 5.9's?
Properly sized compound turbos will put more air density in. More air density ='s more power.
Now do the same with a 7.3 and watch out, hence the previous post about the new engine and accompanying small turbos BB eluded too:bang

lildevil02 said:
LOL ......now boys where is the love.

BB not to be a ass. but I think that 509 for a compound system is on the weak side. could you explain why that is?

BilletGarage said:
My thoughts exactly! Twins making ONLY 509 horsepower? . . . Seems strange but then again, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I may be ignorant. :hehe:

Isn't BigrPwr making like 550+ with a single on #2? I know he put down over 700 in Vegas on spray . . .

509whp run filling 5gal bucket full of coolant (heads lifted), twin hpop couldn't hold 3200psi. the engine hydrolocked at the end of the sledpull. got some new stuff, so all things considered 509hp = not bad. it went a little beyond 500+ on the dyno even when puking. most of this info was posted on TDS.
dave, hope you nail 10s dude, that'd be awesome. when will you be able to fill us in more on the injection system upgrades?

Powerstroke Racer said:
Properly sized compound turbos will put more air density in. More air density ='s more power.
Now do the same with a 7.3 and watch out, hence the previous post about the new engine and accompanying small turbos BB eluded too:bang

I understand the air density relationship to power but I'm still a bit confused . . . If the Cummins folk can strap a properly matched set of compounds on a built motor with 5.9L of displacement, fuel it, push 100psi+ of boost, and make 1000hp on #2 (Like Maddog), why can't this same thing be done on a 7.3? Is it the lack of strength on the bottom end of the motor, lack of fuel delivery, or head design/lack of head strength under extreme cylinder pressures? Maybe all three? Maybe tuning, but we are seeing the newer common rail 24V motors near 1000hp now right? Don't want to waste your time David explaining this crap to a novice but I'm truly interested in fully understanding this dilemna . . .

Last edited:
DarkShadowDiesel said:
509whp run filling 5gal bucket full of coolant (heads lifted), twin hpop couldn't hold 3200psi. the engine hydrolocked at the end of the sledpull. got some new stuff, so all things considered 509hp = not bad. it went a little beyond 500+ on the dyno even when puking. most of this info was posted on TDS.
dave, hope you nail 10s dude, that'd be awesome. when will you be able to fill us in more on the injection system upgrades?
When I know it works it will be available to the general public.
on a test stand they flow twice the fuel of the current big B codes I have now.

well im more than interested to hear how this works because im tired of 500 and 600 trucks that we all see now, and am wanting to see more, see yall in indy

BilletGarage said:
I understand the air density relationship to power but I'm still a bit confused . . . If the Cummins folk can strap a properly matched set of compounds on a built motor with 5.9L of displacement, fuel it, push 100psi+ of boost, and make 1000hp on #2 (Like Maddog), why can't this same thing be done on a 7.3? Is it the lack of strength on the bottom end of the motor, lack of fuel delivery, or head design/lack of head strength under extreme cylinder pressures? Maybe all three? Maybe tuning, but we are seeing the newer common rail 24V motors near 1000hp now right? Don't want to waste your time David explaining this crap to a novice but I'm truly interested in fully understanding this dilemna . . .
Fuel and air make power both of which the 5.9 has in 12v or common rail.
We have the air we just have not had enough fuel until recently.
like said above on the test stand we have the fuel, now to put it in an engine and put it on the ground.
The dilemma is time and money, neither of which I have a lot of.
If I had the the money I could make the time. Unfortunately when you have 6 families that depend on your ability to produce income the toys tend to get pushed in the back corner. A classic catch 22.

Powerstroke Racer said:
Fuel and air make power both of which the 5.9 has in 12v or common rail.
We have the air we just have not had enough fuel until recently.
like said above on the test stand we have the fuel, now to put it in an engine and put it on the ground.
The dilemma is time and money, neither of which I have a lot of.
If I had the the money I could make the time. Unfortunately when you have 6 families that depend on your ability to produce income the toys tend to get pushed in the back corner. A classic catch 22.

Got it! That's what I figured. It's a fuel issue. So if my logic is correct, with 7.3 liters of displacement, a well engineered set of compound turbos, and the ability to fuel the combination adequately (tuned correctly of course), then you should THEORETICALLY be able to produce greater numbers than even the nastiest 12V, P-pump, combos . . . all things equal???

And yes, I would say most of us are familiar with the money limitations. Sounds like you've got the added stress of people depending on your success which I'm sure weighs heavy. I've never been lucky enough to get hooked by any cheap hobbies, except for golf. Dirt cheap in comparison! :D

I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for your report on this new setup! I have faith! :D

Powerstroke Racer said:
When I know it works it will be available to the general public.
on a test stand they flow twice the fuel of the current big B codes I have now.
Will the fordota be getting a set?

Wow, this is awesome. I am sorry I have missed it until now. Can't wait to see what happens. I may have to sell my 6er and buy another 7.3 :pop:

i remembered reading this about a month and forgot which forum it was on... if anyone has any updates on this "secret" fuel system and can reveal any info.. PLEASE DO!!!

Yea I would like to know as well, I am at the point right now that I would rather drop in a CR than spend the huge $$$ just to get to 450hp. If there is actually a fuel system that can keep up to say 550-600hp then I may keep the 7.3. What about oil though... is this fuel system going to go past what the oil system can handle?

Pat T. said:
Yea I would like to know as well, I am at the point right now that I would rather drop in a CR than spend the huge $$$ just to get to 450hp. If there is actually a fuel system that can keep up to say 550-600hp then I may keep the 7.3. What about oil though... is this fuel system going to go past what the oil system can handle?
450 is pretty mild and reasonably priced.
550-600 is B codes,big oil and GT42R, K31
The new breed of super high output injectors seem to be happy with the Terminator brand of big oil.

Powerstroke Racer said:
450 is pretty mild and reasonably priced.
550-600 is B codes,big oil and GT42R, K31
The new breed of super high output injectors seem to be happy with the Terminator brand of big oil.

So what kind of power will these new injectors be capable of?

Shaw said:
Does this have to do with golfers slipped information?
I wouldn't say Dave slipped any info but rather turned on a big light bulb:woohoo:
anyway after many hours under that light bulb, theory was applied to real world testing and presto instant fuel and lotts of it:rockwoot:

Is this going to be something we can purchase for our injectors from you? Does it have to do with getting the oil OUT of the injector?

Back