Dodge 2008-2012 Tie Rod End Recall

Taking my truck back to the dealer. Has anyone had low speed steering problems after the update? In the parking lot, at low speeds, after I make a turn, the steering wheel jerks back and forth while the wheels are coming back around to straight. I've never noticed it before the update. Going back to them Monday morning. I guess it could be a tie rod end is too tight or they screwed up my stabilizer and it is hanging. Not sure. I'll try to access the issue on floor jacks this weekend before I take it to them...not that I need any more projects this weekend.

I'll try to access the issue on floor jacks this weekend before I take it to them

I wouldn't. I had a dealer mess something up once and when I diagnosed it before taking it back they threw a temper tantrum and almost wouldn't fix it. That or just lie to them about it ;)

I asked my dealer if they would be doing an alignment when I bring mine in next week. He said no. We just measure and set up the new tie rods exactly like the old ones. Can't wait to see how this one turns out...

Taking my truck back to the dealer. Has anyone had low speed steering problems after the update? In the parking lot, at low speeds, after I make a turn, the steering wheel jerks back and forth while the wheels are coming back around to straight. I've never noticed it before the update. Going back to them Monday morning. I guess it could be a tie rod end is too tight or they screwed up my stabilizer and it is hanging. Not sure. I'll try to access the issue on floor jacks this weekend before I take it to them...not that I need any more projects this weekend.

I think the term for what you are seeing is bump steer. It happens when suspension geometry is off and in this case could be from misadjusted tie rods. That's just a thought, I am far from intelligent when it comes to suspensions.

I am still waiting for my kit to show up. It's been a month and my dealer claims it can only get one per week.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I called to get them to look at my truck last week. They told me that they could not even get parts yet, they were not being released. Why even waste my time on it?

Guess I should go to my dealer since I just put the upgraded steering on my truck LOL

My advice would be to call some of the smaller dealers that don't have a very big service department. The dealer in my hometown actually had 2 more tie rod assemblies that weren't spoken for yet.

Supposed to take mine in today at 8am (in 5 minutes.) I had to cancel. It is gonna be hard to get it to mess up on corners in this snow. LOL I had to push it to Friday. O well, at least there is snow on the ground. HAMMER DOWN!!!! LOL

Got my tie rods replaced last week and have been having bump steer issues also.....guess I will have to call my dealer about it too

Dodge is having us pull all of the recall tie-rod assemblys off the shelf and ship them back, something about missalignment with the way the taper of the tie rod fits in the knuckle. Didnt say anything about the trucks that weve allready installed them on. They say they will provide more info at a later date.

Zak

Dodge is having us pull all of the recall tie-rod assemblys off the shelf and ship them back, something about missalignment with the way the taper of the tie rod fits in the knuckle. Didnt say anything about the trucks that weve allready installed them on. They say they will provide more info at a later date.

Zak

You would think Dodge has been around long enough to know how to design a tie rod...back to the drawing board...again :doh:

You would think Dodge has been around long enough to know how to design a tie rod...back to the drawing board...again :doh:

All their engineers probably get "make it cheaper...make it cheaper" drilled into their heads all day long. I'm assuming they do FEA on their parts over and over again until they can make them .0000000001% above the acceptable safety margins for the materials.

1/4 lb of extra material could have saved them millions of dollars on the recall.....but this is what happens when management designs parts and not the engineers who have the knowledge to design parts.

Blame the bean counters. We are experiencing it in my company and its beginning to piss me off. Save a dime now to spend a dollar later.

Zak

Damn maybe that's why I haven't heard anything back from the dealership then.

Awesome sounds like I traded a set of tie rods that may break for a set that makes my truck drive like crap with no dealer availible solution to fix it.

I have a bilstein dampener on mine, they replaced the parts and now the dampener bottoms out when turning to the right and it wont turn as far to the right as it does to the left. Any one else have this issue?

I had to cancel my follow up appointment. I may have a ball joint or some other major issue coming up. :bang

I have a bilstein dampener on mine, they replaced the parts and now the dampener bottoms out when turning to the right and it wont turn as far to the right as it does to the left. Any one else have this issue?

Sounds like they have the U-bolts that mount your stabilizer to the tie rods too far to one side?

I had to cancel my follow up appointment. I may have a ball joint or some other major issue coming up. :bang

1619508_10202120457066954_1084923939_n_zps8cd0e0f1.jpg

Had mine replaced last week, had to do the steering box as well before she started to drive normal again.

Back