Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

Good info... Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those larger wheel/cover combos :D Guess I must admit I never really did my homework huh? :doh: You sure your 351 wheel is a .44 trim? 500 will keep me happy for now anyway, probably just throw an HT3B under there to take a little load of that small shaft in the 451 :rockwoot:

EDIT: My apologies to Greg for the hijack...

No problem enjoy people tossing good facts out there t , just like getting a trick Carburetor for a competition Eliminator engine , I rely on the people that do that aspect best , that’s why I look to Shane at Industrial Injection to provide the best possible turbo set up . I know that these turbo’s are going to move enough air to provide the required power level to run in the high 8’s in a 3000 lbs car . This will require around 900 flywheel hp, that will accelerate in the needed RPM range of 4000 to 5500 . .
I think that the converter will stall in the neighborhood of 4000 to 4200 with a shift point of 5000 to 5200 and grind metal to 5500 .
I know that everyone thinks, that anyone can build this power and its using a easy going street tune , and its only 750 hp on a chassis dyno, but there is no correlation when you get to higher rpm’s and acceleration rates .

Jeff , the top of the bores of a Dmax are induction hardened , the hone finish is cross hatched ,, but maybe not apparent in this picture .there any many hone processes that can be used on a good automatic hone machine , I am sure that this is the correct process

the engine is together ,

P1040806.jpg

We moved the car to the engine Shop

P1040803.jpg

The engine is in the car , and the fab starts for turbo pacement
P1040809.jpg

A bunch of parts show up , thanks Indrustrial Injection

P1040812.jpg

P1040813.jpg

We are all excited , and know we are going to surprise a yellow corvette this year . A diesel going head to head in the gas world 8 seconds side by side. This is not a show car , or a trailer queen . its going to be a true daily driver , and quite possibly the quickest street diesel in the country

Gonna surprise Doc? :evil
OH YEA !!!!!!

We are going to drive in the gate , after getting 40 to 50 MPG of SYNDIESEL fuel , then change to the Mickey Thompson 33 X 10.5 tires and bust off a 8 second pass, and then hit the road to the next track

The plan is to run in modified power adder with the Z28, and Street Power Adder small block with the NX Mustang , and in the Diesel class we plan on entering the another project I have going . This project is coming along on the back burner . *nx*

50 mpg would surprise a lot of those folks! :what:

Y'all will have to run deep 8's to get past Doc... :pro:

Are the brakes going to get upgraded? I see what looks like stock front drums on it. I suppose it doesn't make that big of a difference on the track (unlikely to overheat and get brake fade), but I'd be a little worried on the street with the weight of the Duramax in there. I've got a good friend who bracket races a similar Camaro (he is the reigning NHRA National Champion in Pro Bracket), and he still runs the stock front drums, but his car is race only with a small block.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

:drool1: seriously... Greg if I die of dehydration, I'm gonna make sure someone blames you. No spy pics of those turbos??? :poke:

Are the brakes going to get upgraded? I see what looks like stock front drums on it. I suppose it doesn't make that big of a difference on the track (unlikely to overheat and get brake fade), but I'd be a little worried on the street with the weight of the Duramax in there. I've got a good friend who bracket races a similar Camaro (he is the reigning NHRA National Champion in Pro Bracket), and he still runs the stock front drums, but his car is race only with a small block.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

It dose have a new set of brakes waiting , but its been in the 4’s in the 1/8 mile as is with a blown big block. The Dmax is not that heavy , in fact it’s a little lighter then a cast iron BBC..

Doc Fox usualy runs in the high 8's and low 9's , but his average has allways been really slow

It dose have a new set of brakes waiting , but its been in the 4’s in the 1/8 mile as is with a blown big block. The Dmax is not that heavy , in fact it’s a little lighter then a cast iron BBC..

Doc Fox usualy runs in the high 8's and low 9's , but his average has allways been really slow

I wouldn't be worried about the dragstrip, but rather a long downhill road during the street drive portion. My Vega (large 11x2.5" Chrysler drum brakes in rear, vented Mustang II discs in front) gets abused when I take the first return road (no sense heating up the engine any more than necessary). You can feel a little fade right after that. Maybe I'm more paranoid about brake fade since I drive a hill every morning leaving my house, which goes down 1000' in about 2.3 miles (with a curve and a small river at the bottom).

already achieved 45.4 mph on the trip to the 400 mile Texas Mile earlier this year in the NX Mustang , and this was just driving normal, meaning 70 to 80 mph . The Z28 is with out best estimate around 400 lbs lighter ., with a lot tighter turbo chargers

This was with some of Curtis best tunning for power , with little thought for fuel economy. I think if the the target was for good street performance and fuel economy , then 50 +. MPH on real driving would be possible , and if the driver was to really feather foot it , and drive for Fuel economy than 60 + MPG is very possible .
I would like to have some real competition on Fuel economy in the future , sealed tanks , and a pace vehicle . This should be done on a 200+ mile route , with speeds of 45 to 75 MPH .

Were the work is getting close and here is a few picture of the Industrial Injection turbo’s , these are a work of art , the new controllers will run the stepper motors based on turbine speed..

Tyler and Stan Thomas owner of S&T steel and water jet work on designs for the flanges , Stan can just about cut anything with his Water jet , from glass and 5 inch think steel, to ultra frozen cow heads for display.
They have every single surface of the Cummins and Duramax on file , and cut any thing you can imagine

DSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1266.jpg

DSCN1269.jpg

DSCN1268.jpg

and the wrist pins for my Dragster showed up today , this will mate the J&E pistons to the GRP aluminum rods , my cost was over $80 a pin and people wonder why my dragster is spending me in to the poor house , if anyone wants to help , buy some of the $35,000 worth of ARP setting on my shelf , promise no one will ever give you a better deal

DSCN1272.jpg

Last edited:
The Auto Shop is getting covered up with Dmax work and one destroked 6.7 2.8 puller is in the works , after my destroked 5.9 to 5.0 ran so well, I am going to start on a 6.7 . I have allways liked big bore short stroke motors
Tommy is working day and night on the Z28 and NX Mustang , making sure I make it to Drag week

I saw the new ZZ billet intake for the two cars , and its oh so sweet, Greg is as allways camara shy untill its finished

Back