Project Z28 Diesel , Hot Rod Magazine Drag Week 2009

What's up with the picture of the turbine wheel and collar??? Something super secret in there?:poke:

the turbo’s are going on , and so is a custom intercooler , but at a 1000 + hp a intercooler just made sense, ill just post a bunch of pictures for now , most are self evident, I have 3 projects going wide open now , as the rods are on the way now for the dragster . Its getting close to the time to unleash the monster.

P1040849.jpg

P1040848.jpg

P1040847.jpg

P1040846.jpg

P1040845.jpg

P1040855.jpg

P1040853.jpg

P1040852.jpg

P1040851.jpg

P1040858.jpg

P1040857.jpg

P1040856.jpg

I'm jealous of the twins.. Here's a couple of my looong time 69 project.. The firewall is being moved back, so the motor can be sat back further.. The project is moving forward again. I wish it were further along where I could join the others during drag week..

Attachments

• Camaro engine in chassis.jpg
    Camaro engine in chassis.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Camaro cage shot.jpg
    Camaro cage shot.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
your project looking good , love the roll cage.
I like the thought of keeping the stock turbo location , and plumbing on a lower hp Hot Rod , would work out great on someone who wants a 500 hp 35 mpg street rod

I just love having access to a Water Jet, this is some of the many parts that ZZ dose for these projects , this is the oil cooler deleat for a stock location oil pump, both of the engines in the NX Mustang and the Z28 have Curtis Billet oil pumps

P1040859.jpg

here are the DLC coated 1.156 Pins for the NX Mustang

P1040863.jpg

Greg, have you guys had problems with blowing the freeze plugs out of the block? I haven't ever seen them come out in any of our applications; however, we did blow out a factory block warmer/heater while running a stock engine on the dyno...that was interesting.

Just wondering, projects looking decent.

Greg, do you guys need us to donate some SS allen head capscrews or button heads? (phillips drive + race mill = fail) :Cheer:

Greg, have you guys had problems with blowing the freeze plugs out of the block? I haven't ever seen them come out in any of our applications; however, we did blow out a factory block warmer/heater while running a stock engine on the dyno...that was interesting.

no never have , I had talked about freeze plugs blowing out on Cummins with Tommy and Al and I guess they listen to close.
I know they do the same on sprint car engines .

Im not running a radatior on my Dragster ,

Greg, do you guys need us to donate some SS allen head capscrews or button heads? (phillips drive + race mill = fail) :Cheer:

lol, that's what I was trying to find to use, there were none in town. At least they are stainless and they are red loctited in.

Mike is planning on doing some land speed stuff with his car and thinking of some of the lengthy wide open throttle pulls with the huge water pump he is running that will hold a lot of water pressure in the block and heads, I felt it was a little cheap insurance. We have not seen a failure, but sure don't want to at over 200 mph either!

P1040901.jpg

P1040902.jpg

this is BJ in the back ground , one of the guy that is has spent many hours with Tommy and AL on this project .
He's currently doing the ECM wiring
P1040903.jpg

here is the new Billet Individual runner intake manifold for a Dmax . This manifold flows some air , its has a lot of Tapper in the runners

P1040899.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet, Looks like its going to flow air like a mo-fo.......thanks for the photo's, thats why I like this place.

Between Greg at ZZ , and the Guys at Auto Shop Racing Engines , are pushing the envelope on Dmax engines

Back