Spool Flange results with 467

The spool flange will not fix issues with part throttle behavior of injectors or delivery valves. It will improve your part throttle egt pretty significantly as Mike has found out (as did I) but it will not make a sluggish 5x20 act like a 5x10.

Who built the 5x.020's?

What Nick is trying to say is there is no compensation for less fuel density in the cylinder at low RPM. A large orifice will need heat and RPM to create an environment liking to the density of fuel, this is why the smaller orifice nozzles feel more responsive. It seems to me that using common sense and being conservative is often lacking.

What Nick is trying to say is there is no compensation for less fuel density in the cylinder at low RPM. A large orifice will need heat and RPM to create an environment liking to the density of fuel, this is why the smaller orifice nozzles feel more responsive. It seems to me that using common sense and being conservative is often lacking.

Actually what i'm trying to say is Weston is a bigot!

Yes, what the bigot saidLOL

Smaller injectors are more responsive? In my experience which is limited, I gained a TON of response going from a 215 injector straight to a 5x.022 vco made by scheid. Compared to a 215 vco , 5x.012's sac, 5x.014's sac, and 5x.018's vco these 22's have more response than all of them combined. The worst being the 5x.014 sac. All but the 5x.012's were tested on the street within 2 weeks so I had a good comparison between all of them. The scheid injectors take the cake for most response, and light throttle characteristics.

In short I'm disagreeing with your theory here Weston.

Last edited:
Opening pressure has quite a lot of effect on response, most likely what you are seeing. This has been proven on the engine dyno quite often, so disagree if you like. I also assume you do not know the entire details of each set, leaving many variables on the table.

Density vs burn time is quite simple to comprehend, in short a perfect example of why large injectors make much more power when the SOI(timing) is advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, its late or id text you, but what did you have your flange opening at, and were you getting the same surge as me?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Guess who just got 14mpg with a loose AFC (smokey still) and beating the piss out of it for the last 350 miles while having fun with new manual vb?

This guy.

Nick, its late or id text you, but what did you have your flange opening at, and were you getting the same surge as me?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Mine was unregulated for most to nearly all of its time on my truck so around 23psi cracking full open by late 20s early 30s.

Ok, same here. Were you running a gate? I'm sure I remember you saying no, but I can't remember. Again, it's late or I'd call LOL

A little update to keep current. Averaged almost 15mpg the last 2 fill ups with a trip to texas, a trip to the interstate to pick up a broken down truck with about 2 hours of idle time while we got it on the trailer, and then about 100 miles of the regular beatings.

Pretty good. When I had the old 66/ spool flange I got less than 13mpg on one tank coming though Texas on a road trip. But that was with quite a few WOT freeway runs and cruising at high speeds LOL Not like it matters or anything, my truck is a pos LOL

Last edited:
Yeah, I averaged 12 for a long time. I don't know whats different now, but I like it LOL

I so want to throw either an EFR or 468 on a vp truck with a spool flange..

Nice, are you gonna toss it on the dyno anytime soon?

I'd like to, but every time there's a local dyno day, I have to work. And I know it's not running exactly like it should based on track numbers. I'm afraid to dyno it and get an expected low number, and have it be for nothing. I know that makes me a *****.

I so want to throw either an EFR or 468 on a vp truck with a spool flange..

If I had dynamic timing, I would probably try something that flows a little more. The 67 does 95lbs/min if IIRC, i would go for something way bigger than a 68.

You and I think alike! But I think I wanna try Mikes exact setup.

See above LOL

We don't have cool springs to change out and just go vroom

Back