Floor Shifter pics....

This thread is partial to blame for the auto swap pile of parts in my garage floor...

Those switches and shifter look really familiar. Looks like we had the same idea, you just beat me to it :lolly: I think I'm gonna put one of them on the backside though.

I'm starting to wonder... LOL

Take it from me, i had a nv5600 I'n my truck wich was a perfect tranny. Did a Goerend 47re with a full manual vb swap.... I could not be happier at all. I'm waiting to save money to convert my dd 12v dually tow rig to an auto. It makes driving the truck 10 times more fun.

Take it from me, i had a nv5600 I'n my truck wich was a perfect tranny. Did a Goerend 47re with a full manual vb swap.... I could not be happier at all. I'm waiting to save money to convert my dd 12v dually tow rig to an auto. It makes driving the truck 10 times more fun.

My hold up aside from money is wondering how a full manual set to kill auto will tow heavy.

My hold up aside from money is wondering how a full manual set to kill auto will tow heavy.

I haven't towed super heavy, but I've got a little greedy with second gear lockup while yanking a fair sized camper down to the dunes. With a 475 single to boot.

Got any pictures of the backside?

2013-05-14174610_zps390ceea2.jpg

2013-05-14174618_zps975b1761.jpg

2013-05-14174622_zps316b58ef.jpg

2013-05-14174630_zpsebaf810a.jpg

Soooo.....why nosing around the pits @ TS this weekend I was very surprised to see 3 very well known pro street trucks running B&M Truck Megashifters! :eek:

I even personally asked Phil the thrill Taylor why he didn't use a gated shifter.... he said this one serve's the purpose and it was cheaper! Bang Bang Flip! LOL

If I was going full track, I'd have a ratchet shifter as well. I think a gated shifter is just better for the street.

Gated shifters are cool and nice and easy to use but the range of movement they require does not work for all. If you go back and see how I have my shifter mounted I don't see anyway a gated shifter would work. I would have had to pull it back further in the middle seat and lose my cup holders which attach to my center console which I did not want. I don't run a mega shifter but a pro ratchet which has the same limited range from park to 1 (std pattern).

Gated shifters are cool and nice and easy to use but the range of movement they require does not work for all. If you go back and see how I have my shifter mounted I don't see anyway a gated shifter would work. I would have had to pull it back further in the middle seat and lose my cup holders which attach to my center console which I did not want. I don't run a mega shifter but a pro ratchet which has the same limited range from park to 1 (std pattern).

Found your thread about your shifter & mount last night Nick.... if I ever swap to an auto I will be copying your setup. :rockwoot:

Like I mentioned before, I haven't mounted mine or hooked it all up in the truck yet so I don't know how well this is going to work in the vehicle but after some researching online I found a wiring diagram for making a momentary input (button) into a latching on/off output using relays. I will have my T/C lockup with a simple toggle switch. O/D will be controlled with the red button on the lever, I am able to do this using 6 relays and wiring them together as mentioned before, worked great on the bench, push the button...click once O/D on...click once again O/D off. I will probably put a small LED next to my trans temp gauge that will illuminate when O/D is engaged. I figured that would be best for racing with my manual VB, flip the T/C switch while staging, and the T/C locks as soon as I hit 2nd, then shift to 3rd then hit the button for O/D. It can be done with less relays, the reason I ended up using so many is because I am needing a positive input/negative output (switching the ground), the only diagrams available were negative input/positive output (switching the 12v). I tried wiring using these diagrams and just reversing the polarity but the relay wouldn't consistently latch and didn't quite work like I wanted, then I found that I could wire it the correct way and change the polarity by adding another relay after. Here are some links to the diagrams I used.

Diagram for Latched on/off (+) output with momentary (-) input:
latchonoffspnd.gif

Then this is a simple diagram for reversing a positive input to negative output:
pos2neg.gif

Hope this helps some of you :Cheer:

Has anyone else tried to 'minimize' the assembly shown here? Going with a trans swap soon in my 03, and the manual vb appears to be the quickest/easiest way to complete the swap (and a good excuse). I'm going to be utilizing this shifter:

611623_600_1.jpg

mmfp_1105_20_o%2BTCI_6X_six_speed_automatic_transmission%2BTCI_outlaw_shifter.jpg

with (2) latching circuits for OD & TC control. I can take the total number of relays down from (6) per circuit to (5) by throwing in some diodes, as seen below:

latchonoffsp.gif

Beyond this basic relay setup, I'm electrically stupid. Is there another, physically smaller option that could be utilized...I'm open to trying the mini PLC/electronics stuff, but i'd rather it be as simple as possible.

Last edited:
Not a great shot. This was while still building the truck.

Mines as simple as could be. As low as my seat is, mines mounted to a plate on the floor.

Switches are on a tab on the side of the shifter assembly cover.

104_0847.jpg

This is what I did. I was in your same situation last year. Looking up relays and thinking about a mini controller.
I got the regular tci outlaw shifter with the side plate that has the button. Did some research and found that radioshack has an on/off button with the same thread. Then just threw the shifter on a mill and cut a slot for a square button I found at radioshack that was also on/off. Ran my trans grounds and one single ground up to the buttons and wasn't that bad. Also ran the trans grounds through leds so I can see when I'm engaged as well

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383931409586.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383931409586.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383931478547.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383931478547.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
This will fit in the side plate you can buy from tci. I have that button for l/u and it makes it fun as hell

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383931934837.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383931934837.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
I wanna do this to. How fun is it to drive a manual vb on the street? Who do yal think makes the best manual vb for a 47rh