Hamilton 12V head

why on earth would anyone waste the time designing one that WOULDN'T?? :what:

If you will look at the data earlier on the thread, it should answer most of your question.

Some of the best heads I have seen flow around 220-230cfm depending on the inches of vacuum. The only way I can see to go higher with a factory casting is to fill in the water jacket. At this level you will have more than 3-4k in a head, I promise.

The current port design will flow around 250cfm with no porting and stock valves. Since all we have worked with is models, I don't know what the ceiling for flow is before you would get into the water jackets. I suppose, with larger valves, 300cfm could be possible.

As far as the final changes, we are going to put more meat around the exhaust portion of the head, make the deck thicker on the exhaust side where the short bolts are to reduce cracking, smooth out the exhaust port, nix the swirl on the intake, raise the port significantly on the intake, and put an out of the box top notch valve job. We are also going to remove the coolant port on the intake side that gets in the way when plenums are used. When this head hits, we will also release some Very High lift cams and high ratio rockers. The crappy thing is that for the big reworked heads, I will have to redesign new springs to handle big lift. .390" cam and 1.8 ratio rockers is .700" lift.

We will also try to have upgraded valves, roller rockers, roller cams and additional porting available for upgrades.

Zach Hamilton

Last edited:
With that coolant port removed hows that going to affect cooling on lets say a an overbuilt DD

Yes Forrest, I thought it would post up your whole post including his question, sorry bout that.

The missing coolant port will not affect performance at all. It is an auxillary port for coolant to air intercoolers and other uses in some of the applications the cummins is available in. It is not used in the dodge application. It is located under the intake around cylinder #5. It gets in the way when you try to do a bolt on intake. The person that did some of the port design work does a lot of intakes and thought it might be good to remove it. The only way it will be an issue is if someone wants to put a Hamilton head on a Komatsu track loader or a case tractor that uses it.

Zach Hamilton

The only way it will be an issue is if someone wants to put a Hamilton head on a Komatsu track loader or a case tractor that uses it.

Zach Hamilton

I'm sure if they want to do that, they can find another port to get coolant from :hehe: :hehe:

Patiently waiting...hurry up!
Chris

The missing coolant port will not affect performance at all. It is an auxillary port for coolant to air intercoolers and other uses in some of the applications the cummins is available in. It is not used in the dodge application. It is located under the intake around cylinder #5. It gets in the way when you try to do a bolt on intake. The person that did some of the port design work does a lot of intakes and thought it might be good to remove it. The only way it will be an issue is if someone wants to put a Hamilton head on a Komatsu track loader or a case tractor that uses it.

Zach Hamilton
Cool so any plans to make an intake to go with it?

Zach Hamilton
Oh Cool, so any plans to make an intake to go with it?

I've been drooling so much that Arkansas is flooding. I need something to spend my money on when I get back from Iraq! I say you come up with a package deal...

Combo #1 Head, cam (and all valvetrain parts needed), and intake

Combo #2 Head, cam

Combo #3 Head, intake

Combo #4 Head only

Something along those lines.

This may have been already answered, but is there a ball park price figured up yet?

In my opinion, when this is finalized and released, the p-pump 24v conversion maybe a thing of the past untill an aftermarket 24v head come to the market. I may be dead wrong on this, but with the talk of the 24V injectors not really being ideal for a p-pump, then this head should give the 12V a new edge over the p-pump 24v engines mainly on the injector specs and compatibility. Personally I think the only reason why the 24V has a slight edge at this time is mainly airflow. Give a 12V the same if not more airflow and flow charactoristics as a 24V, and the 12V will prevail mostly because of a more compatible injection system. Thats just my opinion though.

Any update on a release date? I need a head (one that actually flows), and would rather not get a reman. and get it ported when I can get one that flows out of the box.

Any update on a release date? I need a head (one that actually flows), and would rather not get a reman. and get it ported when I can get one that flows out of the box.

if you need a new head, I'd just buy one and have it ported. I'm guessing we're looking at a year or so, minimum

Back