MiniWheat - 2014 Ram 1500 Cummins Pro Street Build.

If by "push" you're referring to understeer, NT05s won't push. I have 285/35s on the front of my car and they understeer at anything over lateral 1.14g's...Which hopefully Ryan will never see.

Granted, completely different application, but a pretty sticky street tire nonetheless.

That is the issue, the radials grip way more than the rear slicks. When the car wanders, bias fronts have a controlled slide or push similar to the rears, so the car/truck is moving evenly. With the stickies up front it doesn't move in the front making the rear have a mind of its own. At least that is how it was described to me.

Again, I have no personal experience with this but guys like team green, Armour, bully dog would have better input.

Off the throttle, with that much tire (width and grip) and the weight over the front, I could see this being a serious issue. On the throttle, probably wouldn't be a problem. NT05s will go in the direction they are pointed, but the rear tires ultimately end up determining where a vehicle is going.

Off the throttle, with that much tire (width and grip) and the weight over the front, I could see this being a serious issue. On the throttle, probably wouldn't be a problem. NT05s will go in the direction they are pointed, but the rear tires ultimately end up determining where a vehicle is going.

so at what point would king fu grip be a good idea ?

The difference in back half stability is huge. Forget about speed ratings for the fronts it is really irrelevant in the 1/4 mile. If you can find a bias ply for the front the pucker factor will be a lot less.

Get out of shape on a big tire and radial fronts and it can be much harder recovering.

I wonder if Mickey Thompson, Hoosier or Goodyear have an option for the front that can handle the kind of weight we see in fast diesel trucks?

If by "push" you're referring to understeer, NT05s won't push. I have 285/35s on the front of my car and they understeer at anything over lateral 1.14g's...Which hopefully Ryan will never see.

Granted, completely different application, but a pretty sticky street tire nonetheless.

only 1.14g? Seems low for a nitto tire. I should validate, but I'm fairly sure an old co-worker was in the 1.3g range with his boxter (a girls car...). He ran stock classes in various road and autocross races regionally.

only 1.14g? Seems low for a nitto tire. I should validate, but I'm fairly sure an old co-worker was in the 1.3g range with his boxter (a girls car...). He ran stock classes in various road and autocross races regionally.
Banked turns increase lateral g loading, as well as low speeds, which is even less relevant to this conversation. I was referencing a flat, dry surface at greater than 60mph. I've been in a Z with the same tire setup I'm running on an autox course and seen 1.27 left and 1.28g's right, maxxed out the on board computer. Furthermore, I wouldn't call any vehicle that can pull 1.3g's a "girl's car".

Last edited:
Banked turns increase lateral g loading, as well as low speeds, which is even less relevant to this conversation. I was referencing a flat, dry surface at greater than 60mph. I've been in a Z with the same tire setup I'm running on an autox course and seen 1.27 left and 1.28g's right, maxxed out the on board computer. Furthermore, I wouldn't call any vehicle that can pull 1.3g's a "girl's car".

Convertible boxter is a girls car :) Zero debate!

But yeah, you'd be right on the 60mph+ thing.

The easier solution is running bald radials in the front. They have less grip and are weight rated. LOL

I run radials/bias-ply and radial/drag radial at 4k lb. Alignment and tire pressure make all the difference handling; I couldn't tell the difference from drag radial to bias-ply unless the slicks tire pressure was too low (<7psi).

4cea624fb8ab2133c3ffa07817c57527.jpg

a17cdf94dbc49ddb74f3fbe8da6828d6.jpg

643a73b58b3968b2a54435f37e4cf171.jpg

62debbe3eb74b011094dc1e20d76bd7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck looks killer.

I am also debating the tire thing now. Really want to stay radial in the front, so I'll probably end up with a drag radial out back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught a few of these pics on fpe's Instagram. Much nicer seeing more on compd. interesting about the tires. Makes sense if I think about it. Though seeing as the trucks I'll be going fast in are 4wd drag radials at all 4 corners will be what I'll go with

Back