Monster stage 2 .......sadness

Diesel Freak said:
Any news? I was thinking of a stage 1.....

Stage 1 is a really nice upgrade and very very mild mannered when compared to the Stage 3. Stage 1 flows more than the II and Scheid versions at the same price. Well worth the money.

farmboysdiesel said:
Stage 1 is a really nice upgrade and very very mild mannered when compared to the Stage 3. Stage 1 flows more than the II and Scheid versions at the same price. Well worth the money.

Any data to back that up?

Then how do you know it flows more? What can I expect from one. Are there any real numbers out there?

farmboysdiesel said:

This is the grey area that just is tweaking everyone.

I can't get a straight answer from II about the HRVP44, and it seems that it is not all it is cracked up to be. So, if "X" pump flows more than "Y" pump, but no one knows whay "Y" pump flows....where does that leave us little guys that want that little something extra to push us closer to 650 HP?

I really want to put a decent pump on this new engine, but at this rate, a stock HO VP44 will go back in to replace the OEM unit that now has 224,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
I recommend a factory SO pump. Proven to be more capable of handling 600+hp than an HO pump and can be put on an HO truck with no issues at all.

Diesel Freak said:

I can't get a straight answer from II about the HRVP44, and it seems that it is not all it is cracked up to be. So, if "X" pump flows more than "Y" pump, but no one knows whay "Y" pump flows....where does that leave us little guys that want that little something extra to push us closer to 650 HP?

I really want to put a decent pump on this new engine, but at this rate, a stock HO VP44 will go back in to replace the OEM unit that now has 224,000 miles on it.

Yeah if your lookin for 600+ go with a factory SO pump, it will put you there with a set of good Sticks and enough air. Cause the extra $700 the HRVP cost can go towards some nice injectors.

Diesel Freak said:

Cliff, I can't answer any questions about these new pumps either, and like most I am waiting to see how they do, once they are available in any kind of a quantity. As far as a HRVP44, I have been running one since January. I did not pickup much if any total power. Like the Smarty the HRVP44 doesn't seem to increase total power, just where the power comes in at. The HRVP44 fuels a lot harder down low, then the SO VP44 does. However max hp is very similar. The HRVP44 makes about the same hp as the SO VP44 does with the drag comp on 3x5, but again the hp on 5x5 with both is about the same. Like the Smarty, the HRVP44 has great driver feel.

My impression is that if you do not want to use a fueling box, then the HRVP44 would be a good addition.

Paul

all I can say is I tried----I tried to get a stage 3, but all of a sudden they were put on the shelf right after I ordered it, so I'm in a holding pattern on that one---

Adam Winslett and I ran across a stage 2 that was available from Dave's Diesel so we snatched it up and we decided to let me dyno it up at J&H instead of mid May when we got it, we decided it would be better to have more people witness what it did---so it sat in a box until that fateful 15th day of June and we all know that that was a kick to the gonads and so I sent it back and they put it on another truck and it runs fine is the word, so now I don't know what to think, but they did send me another pump back and it should be here next week, so hopefully I can find sometime here in the near future to make it to a dyno and strap it down and dyno with the HRVP and then swap in the stage 2 and dyno again and we will have some real numbers to chew on----chris

Thanks for the efforts Chris. And we know you will provide real world numbers with no bs :Cheer:

paulb said:
Cliff, I can't answer any questions about these new pumps either, and like most I am waiting to see how they do, once they are available in any kind of a quantity. As far as a HRVP44, I have been running one since January. I did not pickup much if any total power. Like the Smarty the HRVP44 doesn't seem to increase total power, just where the power comes in at. The HRVP44 fuels a lot harder down low, then the SO VP44 does. However max hp is very similar. The HRVP44 makes about the same hp as the SO VP44 does with the drag comp on 3x5, but again the hp on 5x5 with both is about the same. Like the Smarty, the HRVP44 has great driver feel.

My impression is that if you do not want to use a fueling box, then the HRVP44 would be a good addition.

Paul

And thats exactly why I went with the HRVP, I may never box or comp my truck and it does give you a nice kick in the pants in the low end. I too asked a bunch of questions to II about it as well, seems all these pump builders want to keep trade secrets just that.

well I've got the pump back, it arrived last Thursday, but I've been swamped, so I need to figure out when we can get to a dyno and see what it does---will let you know---chris

ive had the stage two on mine for well over 4k miles and no problems at all, I dont post very frequently on this board but im shure some of you know me from other sites. I was goign to run at truckfest but the ofe blew up on me on the drive home from the day before and have a 135 tow bill to prove it. With just 155 hp sticks a smarty and a super b turbo im more than able to keep up with guy who have proven 500 hp + on the dyno, i blew up an ofe clutch at 7200 feet elevation in laramie wyoming and am currently waiting for my new DD to get here, then will be dynoing asap. also have gotten over 21 mpg hand calcualted with this thing, drive around town alot better with the smarty on level 0.
-cliff

A burnt ofe is a good indication of being over 500 :rockwoot:

How's the idle? Pegging the pyro with that little super b? Smoking like the FBD truck?

Good to hear sw0 helps around town, have you tried sw1?

Lostnwalmart said:
ive had the stage two on mine for well over 4k miles and no problems at all, I dont post very frequently on this board but im shure some of you know me from other sites. I was goign to run at truckfest but the ofe blew up on me on the drive home from the day before and have a 135 tow bill to prove it. With just 155 hp sticks a smarty and a super b turbo im more than able to keep up with guy who have proven 500 hp + on the dyno, i blew up an ofe clutch at 7200 feet elevation in laramie wyoming and am currently waiting for my new DD to get here, then will be dynoing asap. also have gotten over 21 mpg hand calcualted with this thing, drive around town alot better with the smarty on level 0.
-cliff

Sounds good to me Cliff. Get a big turbo under the one you have and I have some injectors for you to try - better get a serious dual disc first though.

have the 3850 sitting on my couch right now it idels like a pissed off big block and have not ran the pump at all with timeing was told these pumps no likey the timeing but with the smarty on 0 i can peg the pyro in 3rd at barely over alf throttel, smoke with the smarty on 4 is insane blacks out the entire highway over 1/16th trottel throws down a huge cloud, if you were at bandimere on saterday and about 3 or 4 saw a red dodge drive by on the highway smaoking like a fright train that was me lol. will be building twins within a month (im hopeing) ht3b on bottom and should be doing might fine with her =D and gus i would love to try out some new injectors. one question for yah what line size do you recamend? will be getting .120 tubes as soon as my broke collage self can afford them

Last edited:
Don't forget the hydraulics- mine went after a few weeks with just a 3600.

Since you want twins and already have the super b- look at the BD setup. Might be a little small though- its supposed to be for up to around 600. The problem is who really knows what kind of power you're making with that experimental pump :ugh: