My 12v project

You must have been reading what all the experts have to say on the internet.:badidea: :hehe:

Very true, I have had 2 of those 12V blocks both were 53's with zero issues "he ran 53 block to 870 hp and it didn't fall apart" and the current motor I'm building is a non-stamped, single drain, 14mm mains with 4 freeze plugs.

Jim

block is a 1997. it is not a 53 though. i am not sure why it has the second freeze plug. Any way, here's a little update after being able to work on it for several hours yesterday.
-adjusted valves (.010 intake, .020 exhaust... can someone verify???)
-re-installed S400
-cleaned and installed
- A/C Pump
- Power Steering Pump
- Lift Pump
- Fuel Filter Housing
- Intake Manifold Plate
- Intake Manifold
- Installed Injectors
- Injector Supply & Return Lines
- Motor Mounts
Here's a couple pics. I am waiting to weld and paint the charge pipe and the rest of the pipes untill i have the motor back in the truck to make sure i will not have any clearance issues. It's getting closer but there is still alot of work left.

IMG00095-20091220-1655.jpg

IMG00097-20091220-1655.jpg

IMG00098-20091220-1656.jpg

You have late 97 engine with '98 24v Storm block, lets ay this way : you have 98 12V engine

you are correct on the valve lash..... i also have a storm block. looks good man.

just got done with my rebuild to.... i fried a piston.

heres wat mine looks like.... bored .020 over.
SANY0403.jpg

SANY0414.jpg

SANY0418.jpg

SANY0417.jpg

Last edited:
What do you guys use to clean the motor? i wanna paint mine but i dont wanna waste time doing a crappy job

you are correct on the valve lash..... i also have a storm block. looks good man.

just got done with my rebuild to.... i fried a piston.

heres wat mine looks like.... bored .020 over.
QUOTE]

That's purdy!!

I used a combination of things to clean my motor. The whole thing used about 6 cans of brake cleaner, a screwdriver, a putty knife, a wire wheel on the 4" grinder, a wire wheel on the drill, a wire brush, 5 packs of wypalls, and several hours of quality beer drinking time/ motor cleaning time. I discovered it's not too hard to get a helping hand if you tell them there's beer involved:rockwoot::rockwoot:

I got a couple more things done last night. I already had the fitting for the second turbo drain so I welded a bung for it into the oilpan instead of using the freeze plug location that we talked about earlier. And, I also welded a bung to the pan for oil temp. I know there are other places to put this but i wanted it in the pan so I know the temp of the main oil mass. (Probably not necessary but I wanted to do it.)
IMG00102-20091222-2039.jpg

IMG00101-20091222-2039.jpg

I also fitted and welded the charge air pipe. There is a bung in the pipe on the back side for a boost gauge as well. (Not visible in this picture)

IMG00100-20091222-2039.jpg

Don't use teflon tape for oil, use the yellow stuff thats made for oil/gas. It might never leak, but then again, it might leak.

I used white teflon tape on a component of my fuel system and it leaked. I tried the white teflon several times and it usually only took about a month for it to start leaking. Went to the yellow thread tape and its been leak-free.

Don't use teflon tape for oil, use the yellow stuff thats made for oil/gas. It might never leak, but then again, it might leak.

I used white teflon tape on a component of my fuel system and it leaked. I tried the white teflon several times and it usually only took about a month for it to start leaking. Went to the yellow thread tape and its been leak-free.

ive used white for everything thats needed it on my oil or fuel systems and never had a leak.

Garrett

I got my oil pan re-installed last night. I think i'm about done working on the motor now it's time to start working on cleaning up the under hood area of the truck.
My garage buddy!
IMG00108-20091223-1830.jpg

Oil temp
IMG00104-20091223-1828.jpg

Second turbo drain
IMG00103-20091223-1828.jpg

no white teflon leaks here. im doing the same to my motor and your giving me ideas on what i wanna paint! lol thanks.

I like using PTEF teflon paste,It looks great like OEM.
Beautiful engine build! Did your studs fitted under your stock valve covers?

ya wat did you do to make your studs fit? the instructions i just got say you have to take .020 of the rocker arms?

Back