my latest motor build with pictures..

A different pump makes injectors get big fast. Sounds like the low end air has got lazy on you. I've read RonA runs a real tight afc spring. With you on the smoke I hate the cloud behind the truck My truck gives a heavy puff then clears up decent but I'm not even in the same game as you with my low power level.

This may sound dumb but unhook the cold pipe from the big turbo and see how the 66 spools by itself and what it starts wastegating at. This will let you know if theres a problem with the small turbo.

Last edited:
Still running 191's Adam? I'm going to bring my 181's down with me when i pick up my truck. I was told to expect poor bottom end response with my ported head(after I had it done of course). I wouldn't expect Zachs to be real lazy on the bottom end because it doesn't appear to have crazy flow at low lift. I'd definitely hook up the air line and regulator to see what the afc is doing.

im running 191's like i always did, still only have the ddp4..
thanks ron.. and gary thats not a bad idea just for chits..
ill post up a video for you guys. i messed with the afc today, it just makes less boost now and still smokes.
unfortunetly i think the port velosity is to blame for this.. even with the deshrouded and protruding back cut valves with a 37.5* vavle job it just is moving to slow and with almost zero swirl to burn efficiently at low rpm..
i ordered a 62 wheel and cover today, i also think im going to trade my 491 for a billit 482 to again help with spoolup.. kind of sucks to have to downsize from what worked really well with my almost stock head from the last motor.. i really dissappointed with this reality..
on a good note i did another retorque today and got some more movement so we are getting closer to seeing how this thing will perform at its designed higher levels..

im running 191's like i always did, still only have the ddp4..
thanks ron.. and gary thats not a bad idea just for chits..
ill post up a video for you guys. i messed with the afc today, it just makes less boost now and still smokes.
unfortunetly i think the port velosity is to blame for this.. even with the deshrouded and protruding back cut valves with a 37.5* vavle job it just is moving to slow and with almost zero swirl to burn efficiently at low rpm..
i ordered a 62 wheel and cover today, i also think im going to trade my 491 for a billit 482 to again help with spoolup.. kind of sucks to have to downsize from what worked really well with my almost stock head from the last motor.. i really dissappointed with this reality..
on a good note i did another retorque today and got some more movement so we are getting closer to seeing how this thing will perform at its designed higher levels..
Throw some 181s in there, they helped a lot with my bottom end smoke.

im going to give that a shot you guys, thanks, 181 are the next thing i will be trying.. also i dont really believe that going from my 66 comp to a 62 will hurt performance very much at all.. and for my realistic maxed out overall goal of 800 a 482 would get me there easy, and being smaller would also help with spoolup as you guys know..
and im not giving up, ive come way to far.. i just have to face reality...

im going to give that a shot you guys, thanks, 181 are the next thing i will be trying.. also i dont really believe that going from my 66 comp to a 62 will hurt performance very much at all.. and for my realistic maxed out overall goal of 800 a 482 would get me there easy, and being smaller would also help with spoolup as you guys know..
and im not giving up, ive come way to far.. i just have to face reality...
I agree on chargers, especially with your hami head. I hope you get it figured out adam, I wasn't expecting that thing to be bad azz with interstage cooling.

i know B that was a after wasnt thought about until i figured out how cheap it really was so just do it deal.. plus i thought this thing was going to be way better than its ending up being.. i hope the dam thing makes some power after all this....

i know B that was a after wasnt thought about until i figured out how cheap it really was so just do it deal.. plus i thought this thing was going to be way better than its ending up being.. i hope the dam thing makes some power after all this....
What about just swapping wheel and cover on the 91 to a 82 vs's trading the whole charger. I guess it wouldn't really matter though.

I agree on chargers, especially with your hami head. I hope you get it figured out adam, I wasn't expecting that thing to be bad azz with interstage cooling.
That wasn't is suppose be a was, opps.

So the pistons are 17.5:1 in stock form, then you cut in huge reliefs? What gasket are you running? I'm assuming standard 12v?

I'm going to say that is the nature of the beast. Not only did the reliefs lower your compression, they killed the in chamber swirl. Going to be smokey and lazy on the bottom end, but I bet it is killer when you finally open it up.

Adam.
This is all starting to creep me out a bit. Hope you can get it figured out. I'm going to start looking for another head for mine just in case the porting turns out to be a bad idea.

Port velocity vs engine rpm is a major key that very few people relize before its to late. Turboed engines need port velocity expecially in a daily driver (Lower rpm ranges) to help spool the charger or chargers. The top end rpm will probibly shine better. Just makes me wonder at what rpm will it come alive. Maybe 2700 to 4500 range? Not sure that your cam will make it to that rpm level. There is more to port velocity than just in a head design. The 62mm secondary will help but im sure your correct on your findings. If i can help you in any way please dont hesitate to call. Good luck buddy! Im rooting for you.

Last edited:
Brad. Would you leave a head stock for street use? How far would you go with porting

On a daily driver I would do a mild port cleanup and gasket match. I'm a stickler for quick spoolup and clean street manners.

I am trying for clean street manners but the 69 prevents that so I have to drive like a girl. Still need to tune a bit more

i put the 181's in today so ill see more tomorrow.. i guess ill see how it runs before i have to go all the way back to the drawing board..
thank you for all your support Brad..
and Ron i really hope the porting supports the swirl and the bigger motor help with the velocity so everything works right for you..
my worst case will be to end up with another stocker type head or maybe motor to do another motor swap.. maybe put this motor in a puller or something and sell it LOL

Thats a lot of piston relief, did you measure the volume and calculate the final compression ratio? How's it start...usually a good indicator where the CR is about....

Sucks to see it take a hit like that on the bottom end.....hopefully there's some beef on top.

With the air he has the top end has to be amazing. But sluggish on the bottom sucks. I deal with it daily.

well the 181's did make it alot better but still a smokey pig. i had to move the afc forward to drive it as it was to slow of a smokey pig with it back.. remember i still have the afc shut down so with the afc forward now it makes about 25 psi at 2500 rpm.. but at 65 mph its right at 2000 with the 430 gears its smoking the whole time to go down the highway and even more when you try to maintane up a hill or bridge.. i put about 45 miles on it today so ill do another retorque tomorrow and maybe open it up a bit to see how it runs.. the plate is about half way so should be right about 400cc's now with the smaller dv's.. all this might be acceptable with smaller chargers, still rubs me wrong having to go smaller than what worked perfectly before just to put a band aid on something that doesnt work right and was supposed to be better..
anyway i even washed it..
photobucket-20298-1336445130411.jpg

Back