my latest motor build with pictures..

I like the wastegate around 28 to 30. At 20 that big turbo isn't running hard enough to go ahead and spool and drag the big one with it.

I set my gate to 18 once and it was sluggish. If the little turbo isn't spooling the big one can't get started at all. Try pinching the gate off once and see what it does.

G i take that 20 between the stages, thats something like 50-60 total boost before it starts opening. i found it works best this way for my last setup for towing and still controlling max boost.. with the gate opening at 25 total boost it only made 67, like this 79, with the gate blocked made 89..

That probably works, I was thinking you were opening it at 20 total. Hope you get this sorted out, kind of shows some hot rod parts don't work for some setups. What does your truck weigh? I'm guessing that hurts it a little, the 5500 the 95 weighs sure makes for a lot quicker truck over the 9000 the 01 weighs.

it wieghs right at 7800 with me the dog and a full tank of fuel..
i wish i wasnt having to think about changing the head back to almost stock to get it to work for what i want.. im almost thinking of putting a cr head on but then i will just have to get new lines and injectors also..

Hate to say it but I think most of your problem is because of the head. Would be much better suited for a competition app. I bet you'd be much happier with a factory 12 valve head with some mild port work and o-rings.

Hate to say it but I think most of your problem is because of the head. Would be much better suited for a competition app. I bet you'd be much happier with a factory 12 valve head with some mild port work and o-rings.

im sure zac would love that statement.:lolly:

im inclined to think this is the unfortunate fact that im facing..
im going to run it for a bit to see how it really runs.. i did another re torque today and got almost no movement and adjusted to vavles soooo, im not sure if i want to run it on the dyno just to see or just wait until i get up there.. im going to have to floor it soon to see how its running and tuned.. plates half way so should be around 400cc the way it is.. im not sure if im going to have the 62 wheel/cover in time for this weekend so im pretty sure im going to have to just trailer it up and know that i have a way to get home...

shooting from the hip here Adam, but are the large bowl's on the pistons adding to the smoke problem?

Have you really tried to figure out where the compression is with those pistons? Like said above, I wouldn't blame the head til you figure out the other variables. I know your a little disappointed with how it drives but you need to pinpoint the possible issues and narrow it down slowly instead of just throwing parts at it. Just my opinion of course...

Will surely they arent helping, combined with having to run the thicker head gasket because of cutting the head .060 to de shroud the valves in order to pick up the low lift numbers. doing this ended up having a valve protrusion and well the math didn't work for this either..
so its a combo of,
bigger bowl pistons, .150 fly cuts, poor low rpm swirl/flow, thick head gasket.....

Have you really tried to figure out where the compression is with those pistons? Like said above, I wouldn't blame the head til you figure out the other variables. I know your a little disappointed with how it drives but you need to pinpoint the possible issues and narrow it down slowly instead of just throwing parts at it. Just my opinion of course...

compression is prolly right around 15-1..we planned on it being around 16-1 with a standard gasket.. i do know it starts really easy..
so just so you understand it smokes at anything more than just bairly going, say under 5psi boost to the most ive tried giving it at 35psi boost.. almost the same amount of smoke only difference being how far its going out from the truck and how fast its accelerating.. also to be clear, it has very very little lag, it responds really well.. just is smokey..

So even at 35lbs boost it never totally cleans up? At that much boost you've negated the lower compression/crappy port velocity/crappy piston bowl swirl.

If that's the case something's up with the fuel delivery.

i need to get you guys a video so you see.. im also ready to get after it so see how it runs.. maybe tomorrow.

Might as well see if its got any balls after all that work. A vid would go a long ways.

i hope it got some balls after all this bs.. ill try and get some video for you tomorrow..
this pump ran fine on a p pump 24v with a single 66 made 657hp with almost no tuning.

it had a stock 215 and now it has a stock 180..
axles showed up today so thats tomorrows project.. maybe go up and run it at drakes before so i know if it will even make power.. im scared to in case it breaks.. but i would like to put the plat all the way back so i can bracket race all day before the pulls so i would like to know what power it makes at both settings..

I think you may like a small 180 hp governor spring and some more afc tuning more than just a stock 180 hp afc spring