my latest motor build with pictures..

at this point afc tuning hasnt resulted in any difference of smoke to speak of.. even up to around 35psi boost it still smokes, bad.. i am thinking of going to the dyno and seeing what it does there so we know. i also want to get some video of what im talking about so you guys really know..

Pretty sure I know how it is smoking. Mine is doing the same thing after my rebuild. Seeing as we have the same head I'm thinking it is the head. Looking like that was a complete was of money.
Maybe Zach has something to say??? I sure have no idea.

Last edited:
Does yours smoke at an idle too?
If there is something wrong with the design that air will not flow right at low boost, why would it smoke at idle too? I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with angle of injectors or depth or seat or something along that line.

I know yall are not the only two running Zachs head. Who is daily driving with the hamilton head and what have they done to clean it up?

Got to hear mine doing the cam break in just now Adam. Said it started right up(love that pump). Said it doesn't appear to be hazing any worse than the 5.9 did at idle. I'll hope for the best.

Did you ever pressure test your system? If not I would do that before anything else. We fought mine for a long time. Built the tester and within 30 seconds we found our problem.

i havent tested mine yet..
its basically anything over 5 psi boost and its smoking.. here is a crappy video i shot leaving the house today, its kind of hard to look in the mirror and see.. remember i put a turn down on the exhaust to direct the smoke a bit.. this was about 3-5 psi not bad here.. but considering this as slow as normal traffic 10-20 is what i would call normal..
ill get a better video soon.
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l568/Adam_Sprague/fummins/?action=view&current=photobucket-3137-1337140215960.mp4"]fummins :: 2012-05-15_13-46-12_448 video by Adam_Sprague - Photobucket[/ame]

Tell cliff to chime in then so we can hear how he likes it and what all hes got.

I have in this thread and yours LOL it's a bit smokey but I have 5x20 injectors from Weston, a maxed 160 pump 181's now and a 75mm single. Have tried 191's and full cuts waiting on a set of 7mm comps from Weston. it's averaging about 19mpg at 70-75. But I can't say it's not smokey (however most trucks with this setup would be regardless of the head LOL) it hazed at idle untill I played with dv's and afc and now can be driven with out smoke.

I have probaly 2,000 miles on this setup and I'm about to add another 1,600. The truck is only making 45 psi wot but it pulls very strong. Dex (bfd99) will be getting a ride tomorrow. The turbo is spooled by 2100 rpm and I have a high stall converter. I'll be going to twins soon to try and make it more dd friendly.

I used a stock thickness gasket and did not cut anything off the deck to unshroud the valves, stock pistons and a 188/220 cam. Zach dis port the head for me with low lift numbers and swirl in mind so maybe that's my saving grace? Honestly I love how this thing is running and I'm very happy.

I have in this thread and yours LOL it's a bit smokey but I have 5x20 injectors from Weston, a maxed 160 pump 181's now and a 75mm single. Have tried 191's and full cuts waiting on a set of 7mm comps from Weston. it's averaging about 19mpg at 70-75. But I can't say it's not smokey (however most trucks with this setup would be regardless of the head LOL) it hazed at idle untill I played with dv's and afc and now can be driven with out smoke.

I have probaly 2,000 miles on this setup and I'm about to add another 1,600. The truck is only making 45 psi wot but it pulls very strong. Dex (bfd99) will be getting a ride tomorrow. The turbo is spooled by 2100 rpm and I have a high stall converter. I'll be going to twins soon to try and make it more dd friendly.

I used a stock thickness gasket and did not cut anything off the deck to unshroud the valves, stock pistons and a 188/220 cam. Zach dis port the head for me with low lift numbers and swirl in mind so maybe that's my saving grace? Honestly I love how this thing is running and I'm very happy.

Bout to add 1600 miles! Damn. Where to

Damn to bad I can't make it. I wanted to see this little truck haha

Truck will not make it just driving 600 miles to hook up with my ride LOL, and going to play with a blue BMW if he can get it fixed.