NHRDA - Desert Diesel Nationals March 12th

Good seeing everybody, and that was not a planed pyrotechnics show friday night out if Todd's stack.

Lots of fast trucks. Ellerton broke his own record with a 10.46. Max D Out was running awesome, 9.7 first pass out Saturday morning. Matt Larsen triple turbo Duramax went like 10.4 on fuel.

The WOP 7.3L Lightning runs pro-street (4500lb class weight), went 9.91@139.4 on it's first ever full 1/4 mile track pass. Backed up with a 9.99 on it's second pass. Should be a fun season, lots of progress from lots of shops over the winter...

Good show....that sucks it wouldn't fire in the lanes....got any idears yet?

wow to top off a weekend that wasnt going great as is , somehow between vegas and home my luggage disappeared out of the truck

We are absolutely ecstatic with the turnout of racers, spectators and vendors and are already looking forward to next years event. My only disappointment was with the fact that I couldn't race my own truck.

At any rate, I would like to take a minute to THANK some people for a helping us to have a fantastic event, one that we felt was once again better again this year than the previous.

THANK YOU first and foremost to Randy and the NHRDA crew for all of the work they put into planning and executing this years race. We feel that there were significant improvements in many areas over last year, all your hard work paid off! You can count on us again for next year!

THANK YOU to the ownership and staff of Speedworld for working to remedy the issues from the 2010 race and making the 2011 race run so much smoother!

THANK YOU to ALL of the Racers, Spectators and Vendors for choosing to spend your hard earned money and your free time with us at Speedworld! Once again, we had a number of racers and sponsors that traveled a good distance to participate in this years Desert Diesel Nationals. To those of you that came from out of state (or even from out of the country)...an even bigger THANK YOU for thinking enough of our event to make the effort! We really do appreciate you being here with us and we hope to see you again next year!

Congratulations to ALL of the race winners!!!!

Being a Ford guy at heart, I was particularly excited for the progress made by Shawn Ellerton and Zane Koch. I know that both of them were scrambling to be ready for this race and they both came out and ran their best passes ever. Congratulations to both for fantastic performances...I can't wait to see their future progress.

Lastly, despite being unable to race my own truck due to running out of time to complete it, I want to personally thank a few people that helped me to get it done enough to have at the track instead of in my shop in lots of pieces:

Zane, Moose and Jacob (Wide Open Performance) : Thank You for a great job on the engine and turbos (Pius too) and for all of your help and advice regarding the setup!

Tim (1320 Enterprises) : Thank You for the great cage work and for working up to the last minute getting the new tonneau cover finished!

Jody (DP-Tuner) : Thank You for all your efforts to get me tuning in hopes we would be far enough along to race the truck!

John (John Wood Automotive) : Thank You for making sure the trans was in top shape and getting it back to me quickly!

Nate (Strictly Diesel) : Thank You for all your help with the heavy work and for the extra set of hands when I needed it!

Brandon (Strictly Diesel) : Thank You for all the extra hours and effort in fabricating all of the custom piping for the turbos and getting the truck back together...it would not have made it to the track without your help!

There were numerous other people that put forth extra effort to make sure we had every possible chance of completing the truck and being able to race. I can't name everyone, but they know who they are and I hope they all know how much I appreciate the efforts they put forth to get us as far as we did.

Take Care Everyone...See You Next Year!

Chad made a few great passes in his Altered, I want to say 8.30 @ 160 MPH or so on one of them.

John Robinson fought clutch setup and they kept wadding up the tires. I want to say they made a couple of low 10 second passes but nothing close to a full power, full track run.

DirtyMax was there and made a bunch of nice passes, Micheal was not there so some other young guy was at the wheel, he did a great job. I guess/heard/confirmed they didn't have 3rd gear so it was bouncing off the rev limiter at the top of the track but it was impressive to say the least out to 1000', I think they had a few 1.1x 60' times, it left really, really hard!

Here's a video of Chad and John Robinson running Top Diesel:

NHRDA

http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/DieselBlue24/NHRDA/

Last edited:
Great event, one one the best events of the season. 1000's of fans packing the stands and vendor alley. Great truck showing and the new 11.90 class looks like a winner.

Kudos to the race teams that wrenched hard and traveled far for this event. Really show the commitment to the sport. The Canadians continue to blow me away with their level of commitment. Wish more of the absent diesel junkies would follow their lead.

Congrats to Zane and the whole WOP crew. That truck is sweet and launching very hard. I was really disappointed that we didn't get to run in the finals. With both of us not showing all of our cards during the day, would have been a blast to run them. Hopefully soon.

Congrats to Matt Larson, caught me with my pants down. I really didn't see that coming, awesome pass.

I owe Shawn Ellerton a big thanks. I was blowing boots off the truck during competiton. The track wanted us to hot lap the trucks around. I had to wrench (with WOP crew and Matt's help) on the truck which took a bit of time. I was worried they would DQ me, but Shawn parked his truck by us and said "they can't run a finals without either truck" and waited. Very class act.

Really is just a large racing family. The big name guys (Chad Reily, John Robinson, Brad Makinen, Zane Koch) are very approachable and try to answer my stupid questions without laughing too much. NHRDA has their stuff together with plenty of staff to allow an event this large to run smoothly.

This is a must do for me every year.

Last edited:
It was a blast being around everyone John, Rob, Shaun...etc...

Rob thank you for dinner, looking forward to seeing you again hopefully soon.

Sounds like we missed a great event, we will be there next year for sure with the new ride!! Cant wait to get racing again, Im going through withdrawls lol

Big thanks to Strictly Diesel, the NHRDA, and everyone who showed up to compete in what was another great event.

Congratulations to Verlon on going 6 rounds for the sportsman win. :clap: We gotta do something about you D1 guys :D

Congratulations to Verlon on going 6 rounds for the sportsman win. :clap: We gotta do something about you D1 guys :D

He also ran 11.90 class. He towed a big trailer 800 miles each way with his race truck!

Was a great event, weather was awesome, met and talked to alot of great people, Gibsons in the hotel parking lot with the powerstroke boys...one big family like Rob says...and you will be seeing these Canadians in Redding and then Spokane for the next ones on the list.....

Congrats Rob, Verlon, Paint, Chad and Grayden (did I miss any of the winners?)! Wish I could have been there!