some tech help plz.....

burnt oil, burnt piston particles, with a pair of dikes it will come off. ( and not the rosie odonnell kind either.):hehe:

trik396 said:
Those pieces of metal on the injector tip are most likely from the hole in your piston. Where else could all the oil be coming from???

yeah, you're probably right. that or the scar in the cylinder is a 1/2 deep !

sootman said:
burnt oil, burnt piston particles, with a pair of dikes it will come off. ( and not the rosie odonnell kind either.):hehe:

your on a roll dude :hehe: :hehe:

I scraped off the build up on the injector and the tip looks fairly normal.

I don't believe it was burnt oil though.... it's pretty hard stuff and I guess if it were oil it would have smeared in my fingers.

DAMN! Ty I am trying to keep a positive attitude here! If you have to tear that motor down just think of the 1000's of HP you are going to have now!!:rockwoot: *nx* :ft: :st:

sootman said:
DAMN! Ty I am trying to keep a positive attitude here! If you have to tear that motor down just think of the 1000's of HP you are going to have now!!:rockwoot: *nx* :ft: :st:

Thanks for the optimism Bob. I'm really not that broken hearted over it. It sucks yes, but.... like you said, the new motor is going to be bad *&%$ !! :ft:

well start tearing it apart, because it's not an injector issue--I was hoping you'd see a major league split tip or something along that line and not that---sorry dude--chris

well, I didn't have time to work on my truck today but, I did get this from Blackstone............ I imagine that aluminum content is high for a reason :poke:

blackstone.jpg

That chart BLOWS!!!!!! Did you tell them thanks for the great news.?:bang

triton said:
I just talked to a Cummins repair center and the cost of labor alone is 5K.
The problem with them and if a dealer were to fix it is, they'll only do it to stock specs.

I don't know about the area you live in, but something you might want to consider is agricultural equipment dealers. CaseIH, New Holland, and some Agco tractors have all used 5.9s at one point, and labor there might be cheaper. They might not be used to a 5.9 in a light truck application, but once they wrap their heads around it they should be able to tear it apart. I worked with a guy that took his '95 12 valve to the CaseIH dealer and spent half as much to replace the head gasket as what he was quoted by the Dodge dealer.

Maybe it is something you considered, or maybe it's not an option, but a lot of people don't know or don't realize that there are more than one place in town that can work on a 5.9.

The aluminum and iron numbers might indicate piston and bore(block) damage.. You might end up having to sleeve a cylinder or two...

Dude, you have a bad piston. Scope it, scan it, do what you want, but its busted. Put it bad to stock and take it to the dealer and try for warranty.

well guys, I got the head off and found what was expected. Now do I pull the motor and bore the cylinders or buy a new motor ( if I can find one ). >>>>

blown6.jpg

blown8.jpg

I'm surprised it's #4 and not 6... and it's amazing how good the other pistons look from your post on DTR. Are you going to rebuild or get a new shortblock???

ouch!!!! What does the cylinder wall look like? whats the combustion chamber look like? #4 valves don't look banged up or burnt.? any other pistons burnt?, or even cooked a little? if everythingelse looks o.k. I would fix whats broke and go after it again. not the same way though.

Time to yank it out, bro. Do some investigating and find a reputable builder. It's gonna cost bigtime. But you will have one bad motor scooter when it's done. Then it's back to the track!

trik396 said:
I'm surprised it's #4 and not 6... and it's amazing how good the other pistons look from your post on DTR. Are you going to rebuild or get a new shortblock???

I guess cause # 4 is right next to the turbo. Yeah, #3,5 & 6 all look good. I was figuring #5 would be shot too.

I guess I'll have to figure out if I need a short block once I get it out. By the time I send off the block and have the work done and buy new parts, I might be pretty close to what a short block cost.

My work is cut out for me !

sootman said:
ouch!!!! What does the cylinder wall look like? whats the combustion chamber look like? #4 valves don't look banged up or burnt.? any other pistons burnt?, or even cooked a little? if everythingelse looks o.k. I would fix whats broke and go after it again. not the same way though.

I didn't check it out really good but, there is some scoring. The valves are ok ( do need replacing ). I don't even think they lost their seating. They just got heat scored really bad. I'm pretty sure I can redo the head.

I found a company that will ceramic coat to the of the pistons and teflon coat the sides. They say they're good for over 2000 degree. With fire rings added.... I'll be a little more secure from th heat.

I've been looking for that email brotha. Let me know what you got !

Give Jeff Garmon a call, he is just down the road in Atlanta, whether you use him to build the motor or not I would call and talk to him about where you want to go with the truck etc.

This really sucks Triton, but I must say your attitude about the whole deal is one of the best I have seen in a while, best of luck :rockwoot: