Southern Outlaw Diesel

Bruce, index racing will not be until the next race next year. But I was thinking about starting at 8.5 or 9.50. We'll just have to see how fast Pro Street can run this year.

Gary,

Did you watch any of the racing last weekend at Bradenton? I watched it on Ustream. It was all 1/8 mi. but they had 7.50, 6.50, and 5.50 Index.

The qualifying sheets show you that you don't have to run "on the number" to race and have fun!!

Rd 3 Qual - All Classes

Ive seen them spread more than that out there. One race i was in last season the finals were about .25 off the index

Bruce, index racing will not be until the next race next year. But I was thinking about starting at 8.5 or 9.50. We'll just have to see how fast Pro Street can run this year.

Just some sugestions for next year .

I would leave Pro Street alone no index just let em run it out.
A 10.2 index in for the guys with roll bars that are good down to 9.99 and not a full cage. That gives them a little buffer before they break out and go into the 9's and get kicked off the track.

Change the 12.0 index to an 11.7 index there again the guys wouldn't need a bar unless the go faster then 11.5 and that would be a buffer for them.

The rest of the slower classes would be ET brackets just like now.

I think maybe 1slower index class also maybe a 13.5 or somthing?

On average at diesel only events. Are there enough trucks to run all these different index classes

Just got caught up on this thread since the first of the year. First of all congratulations to Gary and all the folks working on putting this on. To be honest I'm getting dizzy trying to figure out all the rules and turbo rules. And paying to 8th place??? Sounds more like a sled pullers event than a drag race. Plus I really think you are getting too many classes.

I have to agree with Greg. Come up with a about 3 index classes and figure out where your truck fits and race it. If you think you are a little too slow to run close to an index, step down a class. You could do index classes down to about 9 sec and anything faster than that can run whatever you decide. Usually not enough of them to make it seem more than exhibition anyway. Use a protree and let the slowest class run brackets on a sportman tree. No electronics.

Maybe next year. Good luck to all.

Ken, I'm trying my hardest to keep the original Super Stock alive for all the guys that built for that class. The rules for Super Stock are unchanged from last year, turbo and all. Heavy Street is about as simple rule wise as its ever going to get. However, it really looks like Super Stock is going down the tubes. Other venues didn't exactly embrace it and allow it to grow. Heavy Street is more of what I wanted as a Super Stock class last year. So, that leaves Pro Street, 12.0 and ET. How do figure that is too many classes? The only thing I may be guilty of is trying too hard maybe. Anything anyone does is never going to satisfy everybody, so I'm not even gonna try. My goal was to get the available trucks out of the parking lot and onto the track. Lets see if that work's and also see if the organizations will pick up on it. Personally, my racing days at my level are certainly coming to an end. I cannot justify spending the amount of money that it takes to compete. I love this sport and the people in it but I have to draw the line somewhere. I really hope this race is a success. See ya'll in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
anyone that wants to run any truck can run et..
why make heads up racing by index..thats nhra stuff..whats the point. soon as i find out nielden can run .40 faster why would i bother to race that class. cept for i already paid and i can tree neelyboy anyday...

but in reality it will bring a 12.50 truck into a 13.50 class to sandbag us so they can win the money like they did last yr with the 2 driver truck deal..slick... but a ****ty way to do biz.

run the et class..dial yer number and at least ya have a good shot at deciding what yer truck can run and maybe the douche next to ya wont be baggin so hard cuz he might actually wanna race to see how fast his truck will go as well as how good he drives

ill say i sign up for the 14.0-14.99 class. my truck could run a 13.40..heads up start...500 tree...sandbaggers paradise...easy picking here..all i gotta do is beat ya to the end and not run under a 14.0? piece o cake

lotta this kinda talk must come from guys not real familiar with drag racing...

im all for furthering this deal but really..heads up index stuff with run whatcha brung...that wont last long imo.

run the et class. make it 12.99 and faster one brkt and 12.99 and slower another..let the 2 winners in each brkt hash it out for a bonus rd for a sponsor check or something.

jus thinkin..maybe im a douchebga and dont know wtf but im not buying into a heads up class with a cr trucks that can easily eat my vp's ass on a good day.

gary

you know me. I'm not afraid of the sand baggers. I'm going to try the 12.0 class with my dually this year, and see how it goes. If I cant get it running i'll race old reliable in the ET class! I'll race ya Pete heads up sounds fun to me!

Last edited:
yeah we know ...im looking at yer resume". i git it..but really..petes truck and yers likely aint gonna make the same e.t. break. and if ya do the disparity would make it a fruitless effort for pete dont ya think

so ter dually will actual;ly run high 11's? cuz those are the guys thatll be running the 12.0 class..so they dont hafta run so hard on thier eqpt and stay at the top of the brkt. makes gittin into the semis or finals alot easier

comon roger..you know the drill..yer probly one of the top et racers in this faction

Last edited:
When I started trying to count the potential classes it looked like there was going to be an open class, one for Prostock, a prostreet, a superstock, a heavy superstock, a 12.0 index and a bracket class. I'm for anything that will bring more racers to the track to race and not just watch.

As far as what Dieselbeef said, sure there are going to be faster trucks running an index, you had better have something that can run the number or a bit faster or there is a good chance you will not win. If your truck can't run the number drop down a class and then you will be one of the trucks to beat. If you run an index on a protree either .4 or .5 the race is pretty much on the tree if both trucks can run the number. I like the .4 protree since I can't redlight on it, I can on an .5 which is probably why it should be used. A lot of driving involved in index racing. It isn't just mash and go and you also don't have to wait at the line for 5 or 6 seconds when you are racing a much slower truck like in brackets. You can sucker a quicker truck into breaking out if you know your truck and what it runs. I grant these classes favor the trucks that can switch tunes on the fly like the EFI trucks. That is a huge advantage. Also allows you to fine tune the trucks to really hit the number.

Index racing makes the most sense, don't have to get so crazy with the rules, the guys can pick the class that makes them competitive. And it would be the cheapest for the competitors. I started drag racing in 1960 and have watch a multitude of rules changes and growth. It has never been easy. As far as I'm concerned when all the electronics took over and pretty much took the driver out of it, took most of the fun too. So no electronics please.

Again, good luck with the race, wished I were 2500 miles closer, I'd still be 500 miles a way, but I'd love to come and race.

thats just it tho..wheres my incentive to run in the 12.0 class if my truck will run a 12.50..which it wont but....if a guy from heavy street says hes gonna run it cuz its only got 5 entries instead of 11..so he runs an 11.50 truck in the 12.0 class..hed hafta be a sorry driver to not at least make the finals....unless theres a cpl other guys doing the same thing...but it kinda leaves out anyone thats not able to run batter than the index...

i know i know..its super comp or class index racing nhra style all day...thats how its done..but it kind of still leaves alotta guys out i guess is my whole point
. et classes for us slow guys that can drive i guess..
gary

thats just it tho..wheres my incentive to run in the 12.0 class if my truck will run a 12.50..which it wont but....if a guy from heavy street says hes gonna run it cuz its only got 5 entries instead of 11..so he runs an 11.50 truck in the 12.0 class..hed hafta be a sorry driver to not at least make the finals....unless theres a cpl other guys doing the same thing...but it kinda leaves out anyone thats not able to run batter than the index...

i know i know..its super comp or class index racing nhra style all day...thats how its done..but it kind of still leaves alotta guys out i guess is my whole point
. et classes for us slow guys that can drive i guess..
gary

My response is why on earth would you bring a 12.5 second truck to run in a 12.0 index? For fun?

If you want to win, you need to be able to run the index's ET, there's no way around it. As far as "sand baggers", I don't believe there is such a thing in index racing. If you cut a better light, and your truck is tuned to run the index, you can't be beat, regardless of what the other guy's "sandbagging" truck can run because either he will breakout or cross the finish line last.

i imagine thats whats gonna happen when we try to get parking lot trucks out there to go 1 round..

watch some index racing..it sucks..its boring..its for participants not spectators..ever sit thru 600 super comp cars..or the aa super stock class..if ya dont understand it its like watchin paint dry

why would i bring a 12.50 truck to a 12.00 race..cuz think my truck is fast and i just got here so i thought id give it a shot..i didnt know my truck would only run a 14.0

thats the prkg lot mentality

gary

Gary guess you haven't raced much index, at least in diesels it's anything but boring, have to totally agree with big blue. It all in cutting the light. The fun is trying to get the other guy to break out if he has treed you. It a lot of fun. Best advice is not to get treed. But your truck has got to be able to run the number. Last year in NHRDA there were a lot of trucks that couldn't quite hit 11.90 so what you say was pretty right on. Going to be different this year. As I said before huge advantage for EFI trucks to quickly change tunes.

like those said above...the fastest truck doesn't always win. i think the objective is to build this sport and bring more competitors from the parking lot to the track.

example, last year at scheid's my truck was about in the middle of the pack for qualifying; but i was able to tree and get a hole shot on a lot of guys so i was able to win on saturday. didn't work out so well for me on sunday but thats racing.

Its 2 weeks away!!! I'm actually getting a lot of vendor inquiry's for this event. Judging by some of the phone calls I'm getting from all over the country there is going to be some WILD rides here. Don't miss out, there will be a little something for everyone here. Electric drag cars are here on Thursday night, 8 Nostalgia drag vehicles for exhibition. I have commitments from Felix at Outlaw Diesel in Miami. He is bringing a wild Honda Civic I think with a badazz 6.0 powerstroke. First Coast says they are bringing their newly finished F150 Ford with a 6.4 powerstroke in it. Should be a lot of first here. Make plans to attend now. Gary