SSR New Release Info and Results Thread...

Now to explain a little better what the 1.2 software does. I've worked on the LL to HL transitions, especially for the timing . That's what fixed PaulB's hesitation after a shift.

David, yup, Paul has doen the testing with the latest 1.2 software.

Marco

Thank you Sir!

I've still not played with updating the Smarty via my laptop... I need to get on this soon... But that link you posted a few post up, Can Aron access this 1.2 software to update mine again?

I should have my truck up and running with coming weekend..

Thanks Marco!

Thank you Sir!

I've still not played with updating the Smarty via my laptop... I need to get on this soon... But that link you posted a few post up, Can Aron access this 1.2 software to update mine again?

I should have my truck up and running with coming weekend..

Thanks Marco!

Swole,

I put the update on mine yesterday (haven't tried it yet). Aron will have no issues updating it for you. He will have to use the link above to download the software. Here is the only place Marco has posted the update.

Jeremy

bigbaddodge9088,
what year is your truck and did you try the 1.2 software? What exactly is the cracking and popping you mention? I mean, is it timing rattle or else? Let's find out what your problem is and find a solution for it. It was somewhat to be expected that certain trucks would have required new / different solutions. Even after one year of beta tests....

Now to explain a little better what the 1.2 software does. I've worked on the LL to HL transitions, especially for the timing . That's what fixed PaulB's hesitation after a shift.

David, yup, Paul has doen the testing with the latest 1.2 software.

Marco

The update is great! I don't have much to add to tuning yet as I'm still trying to solve a couple of issues.

I've got pretty significant timing rattle centered on about 1500 RPM, It is a whole lot better than it was after putting the upgrade in. Upgrade definitely reduced it, but it's still there. Goes away as soon as the boost starts coming up or I hit 1800 RPM. Predominantly a low load, low RPM issue. May be made worse by wastegate issues (my secondary isn't working hard enough yet). Could also be secondary to a little too much fuel for those conditions due to my injector sizing. So, not certain it's all due to the programming. Also, If I get on it from a standing start it is making so much boost in that zone that it spools right past it in a heartbeat. The issue is more if I'm on the street and have spooled down, and am starting to get back on it.

Don't have much to add to set-ups that have been posted so far. I've been pretty much running PaulB's numbers (Closest set-up to mine) with the rail pressure backed off a little, and the performance is great, No shift lag at all. Need to do a little work with LL rail and timing the next few days. Still waiting for some dyno time to tune the top end so everything is conservative there (running Jason's 24/24/24 ).
Thanks for all the information everybody's sharing on the SSR, great product!
Scott

BTW, is this post above using the "newest" update that Marco just posted?

Aron upgraded mine to the current "published" software about two weeks ago or so.... Should I go ahead and update it again with Marco's latest upgrade?

Isn't your truck a Standard Cab truck?
How is your weight so close to mine with mine being a QC truck?

What elevation are you testing / running at? Temps?
Seems with your inj. size and turbo sizes, that you be a bit quicker / faster than that.... Not discounting the times / mph...They are awesome...

Yes it is the "newest" update, and yes you should upgrade. I am totally confident that it will fix your shift lag.

My truck is heavy. I have done nothing but add weight since I bought it. The roll bar, drive shaft loops, twin turbos, twin injection pumps, and the list goes on. My goal has been to make it look as stock as possible and still have it legal to run 10's. Nothing has been stripped off the truck.

Medford's track is about 1600 feet, and the temps this last weekend were high 60's. This last upgrade picked up almost .3ths in the 1/4 mile, due to not having the shift lag. Because this was a race not just a test and tune, I ran the settings I showed up at the track with. The truck ran consistient, though the driver could have done a better job...

My biggest problem right now is 60' times. I am about .2ths slower then I usually am. There are a couple of reasons for this. First all the tracks around here are still very green. This was the first day that Medford has been open this year. No rubber, very little VHT, and a cold damp track. I was leaving with 15psi of boost, when I normally leave at 18psi, and was spinning and chirping tires clear past the 330'. Tuning with the SSR on the LL is so much better then before, it's going to take me a little bit to get it dialed in. It used to be, that I was so over fueled down low, that the truck would naturally hook up. Now it comes up on boost so quick, that leaving with the same boost makes the power come on much quicker. The really cool thing is, that with the LL settings I can now control that initial power, with the SSR, instead of how much boost I leave with. I've already adjusted when the torque converter locks up, because it was "blowing through" the converter. I was hitting almost 4000rpm before the 1-2 shift. All because the SSR is making more clean power down low.

Once I get it dialed in, to get the 60' down, it should put me about .3ths quicker.

Also remember I tune on the conservative side. I will make roughly another 400 passes before this race season is out. You can't win if the trucks broken.

Paul

Anybody that has the "timing rattle", I would be interested to hear if the latest update makes a difference.

The LL timing curve seems a lot different. It allows me to set the LLTiming a lot lower, and have a smooth transition to the HL settings. It does "feel" like there is less timing at the first part of the throttle application. I went from 24 on the LLTiming to 14.

I don't have the "timing rattle", so I can't tell if it's really reducing it or not, but it feels like it could.

Paul

You can't win if the trucks broken.

Paul

Your whole post was great and Thank You!!

But this little sentence just really hits home for me...:hehe:

I kinda figured you were taking it easy.. Your mods should be plenty for some easy 10's...

Anybody that has the "timing rattle", I would be interested to hear if the latest update makes a difference.

The LL timing curve seems a lot different. It allows me to set the LLTiming a lot lower, and have a smooth transition to the HL settings. It does "feel" like there is less timing at the first part of the throttle application. I went from 24 on the LLTiming to 14.

I don't have the "timing rattle", so I can't tell if it's really reducing it or not, but it feels like it could.

Paul

Prior to the update, the truck felt great about LLT 18, but had lots of rattle in the range I described previously. At LLT15, it didn't feel as good, still had a lot of rattle. If I'd take it to 10 or less, the rattle would diminish, but it didn't feel nearly as good. I'm just starting after the upgrade, 14 was a good starting point for LLT, will work down to 13, 12 tonight and see how she does.
Is definitely a smoother transition to the HL settings, that feels great!
Scott

With the original software I could induce a slight rattle depending on how quickly I moved the throttle.

I'll be updating to 1.2 when I get back in town next week..

I saved the update, but does the truck need to be set back to stock to download it? Dont want to lose anything.

Your whole post was great and Thank You!!

But this little sentence just really hits home for me...:hehe:

I kinda figured you were taking it easy.. Your mods should be plenty for some easy 10's...

That really wasn't a jab at you, though in hind sight I can see how you would think that! :hehe:

On my 02, people wonder the same thing. With the mods on it, everyone thinks it should run faster. It has over 2200 1/4 mile passes, 230000 miles, and other then a cam and oringed head, the engine has not been apart. It run's 12.50's all day long. My girl friend now races it, and it just keeps going.

Paul

This is Good news! Thanks for the early testing Sir!
I'm only one more work day from getting my truck running... I'll have to start testing this update just as soon as I get it broken in and my re-torques done..

BTW, is this post above using the "newest" update that Marco just posted?
Aron upgraded mine to the current "published" software about two weeks ago or so.... Should I go ahead and update it again with Marco's latest upgrade?

Going to try these settings too... Of course yours setup is a good bit bigger than mine..Fuel and Air...

Isn't your truck a Standard Cab truck?
How is your weight so close to mine with mine being a QC truck?

What elevation are you testing / running at? Temps?
Seems with your inj. size and turbo sizes, that you be a bit quicker / faster than that.... Not discounting the times / mph...They are awesome...

Not saying I don't believe ya but I think you're the first I seen out of any forum that is having Neg. result with SSR.... What Gives?
Is your setup really different or something?

I just think a lot of it has to do with my Twin set up being so big and having very large injectors. My truck runs amazing on smarty tnt level 6. I just haven't found the Bread and butter for the SSR. However i havent had near the time to mess with it as you all do. I put in 126 hrs last week and 60 the week before and its looking like a long week again. J/W if theres any suggestions as far as settings go with really big twins, dual cp3s, and 300 hp inj.

I saved the update, but does the truck need to be set back to stock to download it? Dont want to lose anything.

No need to set it back to stock. I just loaded the update into the smarty, then into my truck, and I never set it back to stock. Everything worked fine:Cheer:

I just think a lot of it has to do with my Twin set up being so big and having very large injectors. My truck runs amazing on smarty tnt level 6. I just haven't found the Bread and butter for the SSR. However i havent had near the time to mess with it as you all do. I put in 126 hrs last week and 60 the week before and its looking like a long week again. J/W if theres any suggestions as far as settings go with really big twins, dual cp3s, and 300 hp inj.

Have you tried some very low LL settings? With that big of twins and injectors maybe some near stock or below stock settings is whats needed to get those turbos spooling.

ok, for those of us havin one of those days, how the heck do ya update the SSR to the new software? I do not see a usb driver for the SSR unit on the download page, and if I try the older usb updaters when I go to open a containing folder with the file in there it can not find it ? wtf, I am havin one of those days. feel free to give me a call and laugh it up, 201 247 5154, mike

nevermind, helps if you remember what pc you are on, this one didn't have 7zip installed...... all going fast now, well faster than a stocker anyway.

Last edited:
will have to give her a spin after dinner, one more plea for pilot event kill in the next round.

I just did the update and the rattle my truck had is pretty much gone
Llt14
Hlt23
Lld18
Hld40
Llr10
Hlr30

LLT 9
LLD 12
LLRP 15

newest software release installed successfully.

and my rattle lives on......... like swole said, some will rattle till the pilot event is killed.

Last edited:
some will rattle till the pilot event is killed

Nope. The pilot injection makes for a "softer" combustion start. Without the pilot the combustion will be harsher. Go figure what the rattle you have will do without the pilot injection ( sharper raise in cylinder pressure ) ...

It is my "impression" that there are two different kinds of "rattle" you guys talk about. One being the combustion noise due to advanced timing. chance cobb says it's now gone. In this case I say " it's a D I E S E L ". Diesel's rattle....

The second one like mikmaze's has nothing to do with the timing advance.
I think I know what it is but that has nothing to do with what can be done through the software. The problem comes from the injection sytem hardware.
At least that's what I've been able to gather thus far.

Marco

does anyone have a good audio recording device? Maybe we need a reference to understand this timing rattle?

Back