SSR New Release Info and Results Thread...

Pretty sure that's what I said....

I do believe I said the pilot injection is need, the POST injection is what's garbage.

Last edited:
I think les is getting to is we need a smaller piliot, not less duration and more pressure under the charger.

That's not what he was talking about.

He quoted the pre-injection event, which is needed to reduce the pressure spikes and control smoke and engine noise.

That had nothing to do with the duration and pressure, which is totally separate.

What I said was useless is the post injection event, not the pre.

Sorry if that was interpreted incorrectly, I did not say the pre-injection was unneeded....until it's under the high load conditions. Low load and idle conditions, you WANT the pre-event.

Marco,

Can you lessen the pilot injection?

Completely incorrect sir.

Correct pilot quantity is just as important to smoke control as duration of the main event is.

Removing the pilot is counter productive, but adjusting how much mm3 of fuel is injected during the pilot event is critical with larger injectors to keeping smoke down

I'm not here to muddy the waters of a great product, but I have to intervene when I see incorrect information.

~Les

He quoted the pre-injection event, which is needed to reduce the pressure spikes and control smoke and engine noise.

That had nothing to do with the duration and pressure, which is totally separate.

Sorry if that was interpreted incorrectly, I did not say the pre-injection was unneeded....until it's under the high load conditions. Low load and idle conditions, you WANT the pre-event.

We both were not suggesting removing the event. Making it shorter.

Agreed...pilot is important. I would think that if the pilot mm3 amount were reduced for the big injector guys that would help emensly with low end smoke control.

Your right, post is useless.

~Les

I totally agree.

Any reduction in the pilot event is going to increase the oxygen content left for the main event. Getting it down to the point that it still reduces engine noise and pressure spike is where you want it.

Obviously you don't want event gone, as the negatives effects out-weigh the gains.

The post event.....that sucker can go in the trash along with the stock cam.

Last edited:
I totally agree.

Any reduction in the pilot event is going to increase the oxygen content left for the main event. Getting it down to the point that it still reduces engine noise and pressure spike is where you want it.

Obviously you don't want event gone, as the negatives effects out-weigh the gains.

The post event.....that sucker can go in the trash along with the stock cam.

I am mainly suggesting a lesser pilot amount, solely for the purpose of controlling smoke. A smaller pilot shot with larger injectors will help the smoke output.

Its a better way of controlling smoke, than reducing durartion of the main event or increasing pressure.

There is a point in the rpm vs fueling axis where pilot is actually hurting performance...so yes under the right conditions, a non-existant pilot injection is beneficial.

Sorry to mess up this thread...this is about the current SSR and not future hopes for Smarty.

I know Marco, is doing his best to provide the best...SSR is a awesome product.

~Les

Last edited:
Played a little today with some higher timing stuff.
Truck seems to like it.
LLT on 28, high on 36
No weird noises or rattles, drives great. EGT's back down to TNT-R levels...right at 600 at 80mph. Was closer to 800 with lower LLT numbers.
Boost maxed at about 50 though...gotta cram in some duration and RP on the high level. Had them much lower than before just to see what was gonna happen.
No more time to play though...just put the truck up for another month. I only had it out for 1 day out of the last month...gonna take forever at this rate. LOL

I am mainly suggesting a lesser pilot amount, solely for the purpose of controlling smoke. A smaller pilot shot with larger injectors will help the smoke output.

Its a better way of controlling smoke, than reducing durartion of the main event or increasing pressure.

There is a point in the rpm vs fueling axis where pilot is actually hurting performance...so yes under the right conditions, a non-existant pilot injection is beneficial.

Sorry to mess up this thread...this is about the current SSR and not future hopes for Smarty.

I know Marco, is doing his best to provide the best...SSR is a awesome product.

~Les

Totally agree with ya.

Less pilot with big sticks would work perfect.

:Cheer:

Unfortunately, with the SSR we still don't have that option so we gotta use the duration and RP to control the smoke in those LL settings.

Played a little today with some higher timing stuff.
Truck seems to like it.
LLT on 28, high on 36
No weird noises or rattles, drives great. EGT's back down to TNT-R levels...right at 600 at 80mph. Was closer to 800 with lower LLT numbers.
Boost maxed at about 50 though...gotta cram in some duration and RP on the high level. Had them much lower than before just to see what was gonna happen.
No more time to play though...just put the truck up for another month. I only had it out for 1 day out of the last month...gonna take forever at this rate. LOL
I like the higher timings as well, but for heavy ass loads like sledding, I worry big time about the pistons....

Totally agree with ya.

Less pilot with big sticks would work perfect.

:Cheer:

Unfortunately, with the SSR we still don't have that option so we gotta use the duration and RP to control the smoke in those LL settings.

Aren't the early 3rd gens missing one of those injection events?

Id like to know are what Load % LLT ranges from and what HLT ranges from! Can we atleast get that ?

Also anything on this pod no throttle issue?

Last edited:
Marco you are a bad man making a programer to fit the needs and work on all 03 and newer cummins 5.9. Your the man with a plan thumbs up

ok, so if we cant get rid of the pilot, how bout we get rid of the time between the pilot and the main event? and kick the post the hell to the curb, listening to stand alone controlled trucks with a single event they don't sound bad at all, in fact they sound like bad ass mo fo's. to my untrained ear anyway.

Mine is liking higher timing as well on version 14. Tried the POD on the way home yesterday and it worked fine for a while but tried to adjust again after 30 miles or so (back to 99) and it would not behave. It was either all or nothing. Went back to POD 70 and it was fine. Might have been a glitch in my truck. Was 99* also.

Mine is liking higher timing as well on version 14. Tried the POD on the way home yesterday and it worked fine for a while but tried to adjust again after 30 miles or so (back to 99) and it would not behave. It was either all or nothing. Went back to POD 70 and it was fine. Might have been a glitch in my truck. Was 99* also.

I had the same issue with 1.3. I haven't tired it since.

Last edited:
Back