the snuffer.................

Idaho CTD said:
Since this forum seems to be how you learn here you go....Going to a smaller turbine wheel will create higher drive pressures. Making 70+psi of boost in any turbo will make high drive pressures. Your issues have more to do with the turbine side then the compressor side although a smaller compressor will spool faster. It's too big to spool and, as Greg mentioned, when it is too big you can never get back on top of the charger in a reasonable amount of time. Oh and heed Brandon's advise. USE A WASTEGATE!

I will say this once. GO TO TWINS AND BE DONE WITH IT

Ehhhh , what do you know anyway LOL

Wade, please continue your quest. It is rather amusing.

Idaho CTD said:
Since this forum seems to be how you learn here you go....Going to a smaller turbine wheel will create higher drive pressures. Making 70+psi of boost in any turbo will make high drive pressures. Your issues have more to do with the turbine side then the compressor side although a smaller compressor will spool faster. It's too big to spool and, as Greg mentioned, when it is too big you can never get back on top of the charger in a reasonable amount of time. Oh and heed Brandon's advise. USE A WASTEGATE!

I will say this once. GO TO TWINS AND BE DONE WITH IT
ok a couple of questions

if i go from a 3.5" exh housing to a 3' and a 80mm comp to a 74 comp wheel do you not think it would work better and spool much better?

if i did go with twins, what would you recomend to me?

where can i get a decently priced wastgate to handle 70 psi?

thanks
wade

i thought II had everything one needed? there is some good info here, lets keep it going!! wade you could put a 6 speed in it and a pulling clutch that you could slip to load the motor and get that charger to spool, so you can get back on top the cooler air. but tha twould defeat the purpose of trying to build a drag truck, damn double edged sword, or you could just put on a smaller charger and be done with it.

Wade,
Next test run, try this:
Get the charger to about 15 pounds, let out of the throttle, and spray the piss out of it them stab the gas.....

And get video.

Snedge said:
Do you know what the a/r is on the turbine?
Let me answer your next question Wade:
A/R is a ratio of the exhaust discharge area vs the distance from the center of turbine wheel to the center of the cross sectional area. Smaller A/R housing has faster spool up. Bigger A/R housing has less back pressure, more flow for the top end.

getblown5.9 said:
Anyone here think that a conversation between wade and HOHN from DTR would be rather frustrating for both parties involved?

That would be awesome...but one post from Justin about theories would be enough to make Wade's head spin!

Chris

DIESEL POWER said:
no i dont, II uses 3 different turbos to build this one charger and they wont disclose any more info on it

Can't say I didnt try. Let's just revert back to my first tidbit.

DIESEL POWER said:
ok a couple of questions

if i go from a 3.5" exh housing to a 3' and a 80mm comp to a 74 comp wheel do you not think it would work better and spool much better?

thanks
wade

First off, the housing isn't 3.5"...the wheel is. And what kind of turbo manufacturer mixes metric and standard numbering systems at will??

As for twins...call II, they sell pre-made setups, and that seems to be right up your alley!

Third...a wastegate doesn't need to handle 70psi...it needs to handle enough exhaust flow to keep boost below 70psi, and more importantly, keep drive pressures in check!

That'll be $79.95 for the consulting service!
Chris

As far as a twin set, get your favorite flavor of 64mm and use the fluffer as your big charger. Get a pair of big external wastegates one for the small charger and one for the big charger.

Jff24Gordn said:
As far as a twin set, get your favorite flavor of 64mm and use the fluffer as your big charger. Get a pair of big external wastegates one for the small charger and one for the big charger.

I like that idea...add ball bearings to it and you have the setup I'm planning (GT4088R-63.5mm/GT4508R-81.62mm)

Chris

DIESEL POWER said:
ok a couple of questions

thanks
wade

I'm assuming you mean exhaust wheel sizes with the 3.5" and 3'. So assuming that I think you will be able to spool it but not well at all. Why deal with something that drives like ass to say you did it with one turbo? Is it going to be a race only truck? If so put a external gate on it and spray the holy hell out of it and be done. If you want to actually drive the truck get rid of the big single and do twins.

Twins aren't a one size fits all thing. Typically I build for either drivability or hp. It's hard to get both and keep back pressure down. For example: Nasty Girl was brought to me to be made streetable first and 900+hp second. It drives like a dream, makes a lot of hp, and makes A LOT back pressure. So you have to know what hp you want (a lot isn't an answer) and how well you want it to drive before I could recommend anything. Without higher stall converters you can only go so big as you are experiencing. As has been said a 64mm S300 and a 80mm S400 is a good combo.

Turbosmart and Tial make good wastegates. I like the 44mm tials for the v-band connections.

Timbeaux38 said:
Ehhhh , what do you know anyway LOL

Wade, please continue your quest. It is rather amusing.

I feel like a 2 bit HO doncha know.

LOL You are adding waay too much info to the topic at hand.LOL

Wade, you try my "spooling trick" yet?

Idaho CTD said:
I'm assuming you mean exhaust wheel sizes with the 3.5" and 3'. So assuming that I think you will be able to spool it but not well at all. Why deal with something that drives like ass to say you did it with one turbo? Is it going to be a race only truck? If so put a external gate on it and spray the holy hell out of it and be done. If you want to actually drive the truck get rid of the big single and do twins.

Twins aren't a one size fits all thing. Typically I build for either drivability or hp. It's hard to get both and keep back pressure down. For example: Nasty Girl was brought to me to be made streetable first and 900+hp second. It drives like a dream, makes a lot of hp, and makes A LOT back pressure. So you have to know what hp you want (a lot isn't an answer) and how well you want it to drive before I could recommend anything. Without higher stall converters you can only go so big as you are experiencing. As has been said a 64mm S300 and a 80mm S400 is a good combo.

Turbosmart and Tial make good wastegates. I like the 44mm tials for the v-band connections.

Nathan...how much drive pressure do you consider a lot, and a detriment to producing power? I would think anything over 1:1 is hurting the power to an extent, but where does it become "drastic?"

Do you use many 2 wastegate systems??
Thanks,
Chris

Timbeaux38 said:
LOL You are adding waay too much info to the topic at hand.LOL

Wade, you try my "spooling trick" yet?
yea i found that my purge and 2nd stage lines were leaking very badly.:hehe:

OK Tommy Boy.. haha.. "You were going SEVEN miles per hour!" If you haven't seen the movie Tommy Boy, don't pay attention to this comment..