Transmission Poll

Best tranny

• Total voters
So why don't you think it could be a tuning issue with the intermediate clutch pack not getting released quite in time? You mentioned that you had stock table and it did it, maybe they didn't release fast enough for your truck as it would rev alot faster than stock since you were spraying it.

I mean lets get realist here, what really is in a built 5r110 anyways. We rebuilt the last two I had and all the kit consists of was a few clutch packs and a couple of solenoids. You can add the billet shafts and torque converter. You by now have to know that this tranny is 100% shift controlled by a computer. If it shifts wrong it is a programming issue. If a gear slips then it could be a clutch pack issue (suncoast) or it could be a programming issue with to little line pressure. You don't have slipping issues right now, you have shaft breakage issues. You put in the best shaft made for this transmission and broke it. Now if the shaft was free from manufacturing defects, then there can only be two reason why it broke, programming issue or you make to much power for the shaft. If the second is the case, how do you think an NADP tranny with the same shafts will give you any difference in results? If you are breaking shafts from over powering them I have news for you, give up on the 5r and find something that will hold. You have exceeded the power capacity of the 5r. That is not Suncoast's fault.

While I agree with what's just been said, it does raise new questions in my mind. Isn't Eric tuning Shawn's truck as well? There has to be something different happening between these two trucks that appear to be similar in hp output. If anything Shawn may be slightly ahead of Nate in the HP department. Hopefully somebody gets this problem figured out soon.

In keeping with the original intent of this post, there have still been some Suncoast issues along Nate's bumpy road. They have done their best to work through it but some of the issues have been unacceptable for a high dollar performance transmission build. I can't say I would recommend Suncoast to anybody.

While I agree with what's just been said, it does raise new questions in my mind. Isn't Eric tuning Shawn's truck as well? There has to be something different happening between these two trucks that appear to be similar in hp output. If anything Shawn may be slightly ahead of Nate in the HP department. Hopefully somebody gets this problem figured out soon.

In keeping with the original intent of this post, there have still been some Suncoast issues along Nate's bumpy road. They have done their best to work through it but some of the issues have been unacceptable for a high dollar performance transmission build. I can't say I would recommend Suncoast to anybody.

Nates is a 2006 and Shawn's is a 2004, IIRC. That could be the issue. I don't know what it is about these trucks but none of them seem to take the builds the same. I have a very comparable build to Shawn, not exactly the same but comparable. Programming that works in his truck would barley even let my truck run, and I have a 2004.

By the way, my opinion is get a BTS tranny. But if you are going to try to make 700+ rwhp, don't use a 5R.

So now the 5R110 is junk?

For 99% of the people out there, no. It is a very good transmission. Again I think the issue was programming with this tranny not the parts. It is not a transmission that can be used for sled pulling at higher hp levels. They may hold up drag racing for a while but I can't get them to work right on the dirt.

It is not a transmission that can be used for sled pulling at higher hp levels. They may hold up drag racing for a while but I can't get them to work right on the dirt.

I'm about to find that one out. Hitting the sled pulling series hard next year. We shall see. I do have faith in my Sun Coast though.

I'm about to find that one out. Hitting the sled pulling series hard next year. We shall see. I do have faith in my Sun Coast though.

My tranny worked great sled pulling up through the Hypermax 190 cc injectors, which I would guess was about a 500 - 525 rwhp setup. When we went to the 250cc injectors and bigger turbos, then we started having all sorts of tranny problems. Now these problems only would show themselves on the track. In hi range on the street the tranny seemed perfect. This year with the hybrids I never got down the track once without breaking something or having some problem.

It's not the tuning. This isn't the first Suncoast we've tuned, they are the most common aftermarket trans on the market for these trucks. I think we are in the thousands. ;-) Not all 6.0L owners with big power post on the forums. We have high power pulling trucks with built trans, as well as fast race trucks that have yet to post on a forum. In most cases, the 5R110 holds the power. It may need freshened up after multiple pulls or passes, but that's just general maintenance.

BTW, you tune the 05+ trans the same way as the 03-04. We aren't changing the shift logic, it's not going to apply two gears at once or anything of the like...unless you get real really stupid with something.

There is an issue with the trans, there has been 3 or 4 different one's that have been defined already. I think both parties are just tired of the hassle. When you are supporting high HP trucks, it's much different. There's a different mentality and requirements for a race trans than the standard trans replaced due to a module burning the clutches out from slippage.

I do agree that we are now finding the extent of what the trans will take. There are still parts that may need upgraded. The old Torque Flight that the Dodge Cummins uses are still being upgraded with newer and stronger parts. At 700+hp it's not bullet proof and the trans has been built since the 60's.

Well, we are mid 500's with the 205's that I have. We are going to a looser stall (2500) next year to help get the weight moving quicker. So, we shall see. Hopefully it is something with your setup and not all 5r110's.

It's not the tuning. This isn't the first Suncoast we've tuned, they are the most common aftermarket trans on the market for these trucks. I think we are in the thousands. ;-) Not all 6.0L owners with big power post on the forums. We have high power pulling trucks with built trans, as well as fast race trucks that have yet to post on a forum. In most cases, the 5R110 holds the power. It may need freshened up after multiple pulls or passes, but that's just general maintenance.

BTW, you tune the 05+ trans the same way as the 03-04. We aren't changing the shift logic, it's not going to apply two gears at once or anything of the like...unless you get real really stupid with something.

There is an issue with the trans, there has been 3 or 4 different one's that have been defined already. I think both parties are just tired of the hassle. When you are supporting high HP trucks, it's much different. There's a different mentality and requirements for a race trans than the standard trans replaced due to a module burning the clutches out from slippage.

I do agree that we are now finding the extent of what the trans will take. There are still parts that may need upgraded. The old Torque Flight that the Dodge Cummins uses are still being upgraded with newer and stronger parts. At 700+hp it's not bullet proof and the trans has been built since the 60's.

:clap: very well said eric. lets just hope that the new one does its job and we can have some fun :rockwoot:

Well, we are mid 500's with the 205's that I have. We are going to a looser stall (2500) next year to help get the weight moving quicker. So, we shall see. Hopefully it is something with your setup and not all 5r110's.

You won't have an issue. I run 12.2 on a bone stock transmission in my personal truck, that's well over 500rwhp. It takes 800+rwhp to run the times Nate, Shawn, Tyler, and Franky are running. It's a differently playing field as far as hard parts are concerned.

so you beat me by a tenth of a second..im not worried about the silver bullet..im coming, im coming :hehe:

So if it is not tuning, what could be breaking shafts? Too much power?

And when I say programming he could have an issue with the tcm. The programs is written correctly but not getting to the tranny right. Maybe a short in the tranny wiring that is causing two solenoids to engage at the same time. Just trying to think outside the box here.

If Suncoast is the most popular tranny and Eric has tuned 1000's then why does this one truck seem to have all the issues.

Yes, Eric does my tunning and I believe that he is the best.

Last edited:
.....but the same power level is not doing the same thing in different trucks.

I'm not trying to bash Eric. He tunes my truck and I couldn't be happier, but there has to be some sort of electronic snafu going on here. It also appears that it was the 3-5 shift both times Nate has broken the intermediate shaft.

I just want to say, I hope this new tranny does the trick for you Nate. You have been through too much in the past two months lol you could use a break (no pun intended lmao).

Also Eric it was nice meeting you down there with Nate.

As far as issues with the truck in general, there really aren't many. The problem with the trans is unfortunately due to mulitiple issues.

Too much power can kill a trans, if it's not built to handle it. I do believe this transmission would've taken the abuse.

Let's not forget the background of the situation. Nate's truck had a working Suncoast for a long time, it's a daily driver with a lot of power. The first time any issues occured was with the converter, which is a reasonable issue at that power level. Suncoast wanted to swap the whole trans, rather than just the converter. Sounded like a plan to me. When Nate received the trans back, the pump failed. After that was a leaky seal that ran the trans dry. This past time was the broken intermediate shaft. Was that the only problem or did something else cause it to break? I don't know, but my guess is something causes it to break. Well, whatever that "something" is that broke the shaft, broke it again. Let's not forget, nothing was changed in this last trans, but the shaft. It's repeatable, we know that.

The trans is electronic, but there are still pressures and mechanics that need to be maintained for it to operate correctly. The electronics within have to be working correctly, as well as the mechanics behind them. A leaky selenoid, seal, debris, and many other things will cause tranny failure.

There are current upgrades being performed by Suncoast in relation to selenoids and clutches to avoid such situations. It's a work in progress, but I do believe when everything is right, we will have a great transmission. The tuning actually reinforces this because the trans wouldn't last long with the power we are making without trans tuning.

Thanks for the explanation Eric! Not to wonder too far off topic here (like that hasn't already happened), but can you explain the difference between my first race tune that shifts very crisp and concise vs. the updated tunes you have given me that shift much more like a street tune? It's almost like the latter tunes don't lock the converter or something is done differently to make it not as noticeable.

I was told by suncoast they only offer a modified DD solenoid..but I was told by someone that bought the supposed modded DD solenoid and the stock EPC solenoid from Suncoast at the same time the EPC was modded and not the DD, i was told this could cause a massive failure..thats just hear say but still its probable.

The intermediate clutch spring may not be strong enough to release the intermediate fast enough. The stack up height of the direct clutch may be too tall. Either the clutch fill time of direct is shorter than it should be or intermediate didn't release in time. Only way to find out would be to pull it apart and measure a few things. The piston could have been cut wrong. Who knows.

Thanks for the explanation Eric! Not to wonder too far off topic here (like that hasn't already happened), but can you explain the difference between my first race tune that shifts very crisp and concise vs. the updated tunes you have given me that shift much more like a street tune? It's almost like the latter tunes don't lock the converter or something is done differently to make it not as noticeable.

The only change was lockup delay.