Transmission Poll

Best tranny

• Total voters
Thanks to Eric for posting up what I've been meaning to say for a few posts now!
My transmission issues have been 4 transmissions deep at this point. Each one has been a different conclusion. The latest billet intermediate shaft break is the only thing to occur twice. One thing to note as well, I have since noticed that the transmission is leaking and has a puddle underneath it. Looks like the fluid is coming from a point near the top of the transmission.
Eric has explained this problem with the technical answers that some of you may have been looking for. Eric and I have talked about this many times since the first break as well. So hopefully everyone understands where things are and how we've gotten to where I am.

im so tired of all this..i cant deal with this kinda stress anymore nate..please nadp do the work! :hehe:

my combo works just fine..more then i can say about your........lack of coolant :hehe:

Last edited:
All I know is eric tunes my truck. Nadp built the trans. And I make pass after pass with no issues. Good luck guys

All I know is eric tunes my truck. Nadp built the trans. And I make pass after pass with no issues. Good luck guys

that sums this thread up well. Looks like I'll be going NADP or Doug when/if I ever get enough money to get a trans.

If I remember what I've read correctly, Shawn not only makes a ton of hp on the track but he tows either a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer as well. Anybody with redneck in their name is not likely to take it easy on his equipment either. He is either one lucky fellow or NADP builds one hell of a good transmission.

Either way his NADP seems to be a lot better than any of the 4 or 5 Suncoast that Nate has dealt with.

Don't forget guys, Nate is having a very unusual problem. There are quite a few others that haven't had any issues or problem with quite a few other manufactures.

I have been running Sun coast's standard stall converter (1800 to 2000 depending on the setup), but we are getting ready to switch that out for sled pulling to a much higher stall converter.

Can someone also explain what exactly "stall" means? Isnt it the RPM that the tranny will engage? Or am I completely wrong?

Step on your brake and push on the gas. The point that the engine stops reving is the stall of the converter.

Thanks, Chad. That makes sense.

Bobus, that all depends on your injector/turbo combo, what you use your truck for, and so on. One of the other guys Im sure can give you a better answer for what you might need. Im still learning about stall.

That's right, the stall is the rpm that theoretically the rpm should be limited to when your brake torque. The issue is, we often blow the tires off or over power the brakes and the truck will begin to move.

The flash is the rpm that the truck will take off if you just mash the throttle from a dead stop.

Converter stall is dependant on the weight of the truck, the power you are making, and the mods. Turbo sizing, etc. will change when the converter stalls, due to low rpm power.

The 3 disk and 5 disk converter, so you have to compare each differently.

apparently that method isn't worth a crap if you are on trans number 6.

lol.. thats the method the tcm uses to calculate shift timing based upon stack tolerances. and its not what has killed my trans missions. Also that sequence.. look at lubes post. has been confirmed by the same Mark (K)!.
My issues are pretty well described in the same post. Timing! Mostly burnt direct clutches, but I too have locked up a wheel due to timing issues created by the responsiveness to a single solenoid! Doug from gogo also said it well in another post about some of the differences in the stacks and how they affect timing, like does the builder like a loose tolerance or a tight tolerance? the cut on the piston ie the stack clearance is good but there's .0015" of piston movement before it touches the plates due to the cut on the piston in relation to the stack land in its carrier that creates another serious timing issue.(Thats a clutch burner right there!).. . Some of my issues have been convertors(2) and the latest..well I am just not satisfied with it.(infact i think I have another weak convertor that was used in a jam) another was a pump failure etc. ahh but what the hell do I know.. I am just a guy who babies my stuff with a low post count who doesnt know s***

Bottom line I believe that in order to tune one of these transmissions to hold the power you want it to you must CUSTOM tune to THE SPECIFIC transmission.
The factory does and thats the reason for the originally posted program cycle. Problem is the oem cant compensate for everything else that happens under the power loads we prefer..ie oem programmed slip for smoother shifting and compensation for the swap shifts to make them unnoticeable. also keep in mind for example the 3-5..The largest failure and first thing people will notice.. if there is ANY overlap without the provision for slip (to eliminate some flare)..which is what we dont like under high hp crisp fast speed shifting.... you have two packs fighting for control over the output..one is wayyyy bigger than the other and its no surprise who is going to win... and its the little nibbles here and there that are going to kill it slowly until you finally notice when it really begins to slip or ultimately fails. Another big issue here..ie.. gear changes or lack thereof. They impact the timing of the transmission.
I run 4:30s.. the events will happen much quicker in the trans than they will with 3.73's. with the added power of my favorite id tune I am driving around at 5% throttle but playing with the oem power equivalant of 50% more power at that same throttle position. Now pressures are a big issue. you think that 60lbs of pressure (given for 5% TP)on a clucth is going to hold that additional 50% more power where as the oem at the same power (given for 50% TP)would be giving that same clutch 225 psi, is going to let it live long? Oh and those same loads and pressures are now effecting shift timing, slip etc... theres a big impact being made here. They dont all just die at wot. Mark K said it well in lubes copied post about how hard it would be to make an accurate program..and thats what he did for a living. I'm not saying that ID doesn't do an awesome job over stock for the additional power, but I am saying I don't think they can do enough without the individual truck and some additonal test equipment involved.

Cant say it enough... based on hours of discussion with John wood and the guys at Suncoast, ...not just Ron but his actual ford builder...and even my own hells path of experience with this trans Its all in the programming. And that programming needs to be different for every trans that has an application and uses parts that are outside the oem safety net (hp ratings and use)

Sorry for the long read.. but theres even alot more technical there to be understood about the 5r110w than could be said simply. I could ship you a full paper box of documents and thats just what I have sourced so far!

the bad news....as of today even your largest profeesional organizations still dont have a detailed grip on all the issues just now becoming known of the torqshift.. atsg , atra, trnw...