U D C

I've left pod on 99 for the most part. your 85 vs 99 is interesting. Thanks, ill give a little less pod a try!

I have been watching load vs TPS and found that at 82-83% TPS I was getting 100% load. So I backed the PoD to 85 and still get 100% load, it's a much nicer truck to drive, and no lack of power.

I have always told guys to tow on PoD 99 so you weren't limiting the motor with the pedal (which is what PoD adjusts) now I would say that you can go lower and not effect rpms, passing power, etc. Without a OBDII reader that tells you load I would stick with PoD 90 as I cannot say what each tuner or tune will do.

I though this was supposed to be the cats ass of tuners for high hp applications, what the heck does a 414 hp truck have to do with a tuners ability to tune for serious power? I've watched 4bt's put out 100 hp more than that running on wmo blend for petes sake!

Apparently Bob and Marco thought my 414hp was enough to ask me to beta test with...

It's a tuner for all power levels, hence the release for JR, SR, and SSR. The point is not always peak power, it's driveability, towing, racing, pulling, or whatever the owner wants. I was able to make a cooler, smoother, and more efficient tune for how I use the truck. Not everyone is all wrapped up in peak power. I really don't care how much power I make at 3K rpms, I never turn 3K, but a smooth and powerful 1800-2500 is pretty awesome with a 8K lb trailer hooked up to a 9.5K lb truck on a 12% grade at 6K feet. I left a lot of power on the table, but don't have to watch my pyro when towing so why would I want a tune that makes me stare at the pyro and not the road?

Last edited:
I have been watching load vs TPS and found that at 82-83% TPS I was getting 100% load. So I backed the PoD to 85 and still get 100% load, it's a much nicer truck to drive, and no lack of power.

I have always told guys to tow on PoD 99 so you weren't limiting the motor with the pedal (which is what PoD adjusts) now I would say that you can go lower and not effect rpms, passing power, etc. Without a OBDII reader that tells you load I would stick with PoD 90 as I cannot say what each tuner or tune will do.

Ill break out my plx box and make that correlation as well.

thanks.

Apparently Bob and Marco thought my 414hp was enough to ask me to beta test with...

It's a tuner for all power levels, hence the release for JR, SR, and SSR. The point is not always peak power, it's driveability, towing, racing, pulling, or whatever the owner wants. I was able to make a cooler, smoother, and more efficient tune for how I use the truck. Not everyone is all wrapped up in peak power. I really don't care how much power I make at 3K rpms, I never turn 3K, but a smooth and powerful 1800-2500 is pretty awesome with a 8K lb trailer hooked up to a 9.5K lb truck on a 12% grade at 6K feet. I left a lot of power on the table, but don't have to watch my pyro when towing so why would I want a tune that makes me stare at the pyro and not the road?

i think he just wanted to see a beta tester with similar mods as himself...dual cp3's, big cam, injectors, ect...i would think its alot easier to tune your truck then his....but so far a little progress is better then none..good luck AH....

Last edited:
Which is fine, but if you can't see improvements on a mild truck what is going to like with bigger variables?

The lack of Beta data is not really in Marco's hands. I know there are more than three people with it.

Which is fine, but if you can't see improvements on a mild truck what is going to like with bigger variables?

The lack of Beta data is not really in Marco's hands. I know there are more than three people with it.

i guess that remains to be seen..there should be more like 15 beta testers ...but either way i know theres people waiting so progress reports like yours are im sure appreciated..

Last edited:
Interesting good, or interesting bad?

good.

so i'm assuming whats going on here is the top 10% is cut out and the bottom 90 is stretched out over 100% of the throttle travel. Thus allowing more variability to hit more points on the map, thus less smoke.

good.

so i'm assuming whats going on here is the top 10% is cut out and the bottom 90 is stretched out over 100% of the throttle travel. Thus allowing more variability to hit more points on the map, thus less smoke.

On the UDC tune I have fueling went to 100% at 82-83% TPS, so the last 17-18% of TPS was useless. So now I have referenced max at 85% TPS, so each % of TPS is only 85% as sensitive as it was with the PoD on 99 and I don't got to 100% load until about 98% TPS. So you get less transient fueling changes and those are what cause the smoke (too much fuel for the air). The MAP's themselves are the same, but a movement of the pedal is more likely to get adjacent cells on the MAP, instead of hopping thru them.

On the UDC tune I have fueling went to 100% at 82-83% TPS, so the last 17-18% of TPS was useless. So now I have referenced max at 85% TPS, so each % of TPS is only 85% as sensitive as it was with the PoD on 99 and I don't got to 100% load until about 98% TPS. So you get less transient fueling changes and those are what cause the smoke (too much fuel for the air). The MAP's themselves are the same, but a movement of the pedal is more likely to get adjacent cells on the MAP, instead of hopping thru them.

hmmm, I follow ya. I'll drive it around for few days and find that PLX box it's hidden somewhere in a large box from the move last month still.

I was told by a friend that is running UDC on his truck that there are thousands of dyno runs with UDC, was astonished to hear the number 200 thousand runs........ With all those runs how bout a few more testers step up and give it praise, if it deserves it. I, and others, would like to hear from the guys with highly modified trucks.

I swapped in a set of injectors that have the "injector rattle". I was able to tune the rattle out with U.D.C. Most of it was taken out with modifying the rail pressure map, the rest was with a combination of timing and torque management maps. I don't want to mislead people by making it sound easy. Getting rid of 90% of the rattle is pretty easy. Getting rid of the rest of it, and maintaining drivability, takes some time. I also doubt that any two trucks will be exactly the same. It will depend on the CP3(s), rail setups, and injectors.

Tuning a high hp truck in a lot of ways is easier. If you have CP3(s) that will always maintain commanded rail pressure, turbo's that will spool quickly and provide plenty of air, and injectors that will react quickly and be able to stay open for long durations at high rpm's, then the tuning is greatly simplified. If you have a truck like this, then it's doubtful that you will be able to make more peak hp, with U.D.C over SSR (IMHO). I made an average over 1000hp, in the 800 rpm range that I run at the drag strip, with the peak being 1040hp (uncorrected). This was with the SSR. I don't plan on spending much time improving on that with U.D.C.

Drivablilty on a highly modified truck can be greatly improved. How much will depend on how you drive, how your truck is setup, and probably most importantly how much time you want to spend tuning it. It gets very addictive, playing with the maps though.

U.D.C. will also allow someone to buy a custom "tune" from a tuner, that is customized for their truck.

Paul

good news to hear. im sure the guys will agree with me on this one. to all beta testers post as much as possible about udc. I personally like reading about what other people have working for them with this new software and also the problems that have came about aswell. Also makes me want it more and hope that when that day comes efi live hasnt stolen me from the smarty world yet. personally i would rather own a truck thats tuned by me with something other then what everyone else has.
I do thank all the beta testers for posting as much as you have just keep up the good work.
Zach

I tried dropping the pod to 85% the other day. It dropped the low end smoke quite a bit without changing anything else on my tune. I did notice it was a little laggier in throttle response compared to the 99% Almost like TM1 vs TM2.

Also dropped to 85% and after putting about 500 miles have seen a 1-1.5 mpg drop and the only variable changed was the pod. Have noticed the reduced smoke and greater drivability though.

Also dropped to 85% and after putting about 500 miles have seen a 1-1.5 mpg drop and the only variable changed was the pod. Have noticed the reduced smoke and greater drivability though.

PoD has no effect on timing/duration just the throttle.

Are you an auto or manual?

Remember though...

Different throttle posistion due to POD settings can affect timing/duration/pressure.

Its just shifting the map right? Or truncating it? What used to be 85 tps settings is now 100 tps settings?

Back