upgraded ecm for the vp's!

ya thats about as far as they go cept for one I know of that went to 4000 kinda one of those fluke ECUs u here about , anyways if u could borrow a ADR wouldnt hurt to try it I think from older threads and from what I'v dealt with they work good with autos and drag racing I would also still wire the pumps on another 12v circuit

If this thing works like it does for the vw's and audis there won't be a need for boxes anymore...
What kind of price are we maybethinkin about looking at spending?

I only gained 100rpm by putting switched 12v power to my lift pump. That said, it did make a difference with how my truck pulls. It seems to hold rpm better & not give the shotgun effect when I tack out. Watch this video, my truck hit the rev limiter toward the end. I forgot to turn on my switch & it tried to cut power on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnCaCYCJtBo

I noticed before somebody posted about a pilot event... is that feasible, and will it be able to be used, at idle or throughout rpm range?

Since the VP44 is a jerk pump each injection event is a "single shot" type thing, pretty sure pilot injection is a physical impossibility.

... anyways if u could borrow a ADR wouldnt hurt to try it I think from older threads and from what I'v dealt with they work good with autos and drag racing I would also still wire the pumps on another 12v circuit

I ran several ADRs for several years (even one of the latest 4k boxes) and it never was consitant for me. Sure it pulled good from time to time, but mostly it sputtered and cut out on the top end. I back to running a Drag Comp and life is good---and consistant.

His truck is one of the few I've seen. I heard He had a stg 3 Monster pump and One of a kind Redline box that burnt Up

I ran several ADRs for several years (even one of the latest 4k boxes) and it never was consitant for me. Sure it pulled good from time to time, but mostly it sputtered and cut out on the top end. I back to running a Drag Comp and life is good---and consistant.

I had the same results.

Paul

I'm waiting to see the results of the new fan dangled "cracked" ecm. I'm predicting it will make no more power than a smarty alone.

In fact, I feel clairvoyant.....

"We've worked on the ECM for three months now"..... "And determined that the VP44 injection pump's internal circuit board overrides fueling at 3500 rpm"..... "We are now working on cracking the VP44 circuit board".....

6 months later..."Well, we learned that the VP44 circuit board does not have the computing capacity to control fueling above 3500 rpm"....."We are now going to attempt to build a one-off circuit board"......

6 more months later..."We fried several one-off circuit boards and lost interest in the project"....."We decided, what's the point, it's still an unreliable, under fueled injection pump"

2 years from now.... "Hey, has anybody seen those AUDI V6 diesels turn 5000 rpm, why can't we get a dodge based VP44 to fuel like that?"
2 years and 1 month later.... "Someone send me a spare ecm, I'll crack the code and unlock heaps of RPM and power!"

It's a vicious cycle, I too used to own a VP44 powered truck with high hopes of big horsepower; I finally came to my senses and sold out!

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see the results of the new fan dangled "cracked" ecm. I'm predicting it will make no more power than a smarty alone.

In fact, I feel clairvoyant.....

"We've worked on the ECM for three months now"..... "And determined that the VP44 injection pump's internal circuit board overrides fueling at 3500 rpm"..... "We are now working on cracking the VP44 circuit board".....

6 months later..."Well, we learned that the VP44 circuit board does not have the computing capacity to control fueling above 3500 rpm"....."We are now going to attempt to build a one-off circuit board"......

6 more months later..."We fried several one-off circuit boards and lost interest in the project"....."We decided, what's the point, it's still an unreliable, under fueled injection pump"

2 years from now.... "Hey, has anybody seen those AUDI V6 diesels turn 5000 rpm, why can't we get a dodge based VP44 to fuel like that?"
2 years and 1 month later.... "Someone send me a spare ecm, I'll crack the code and unlock heaps of RPM and power!"

It's a vicious cycle, I too used to own a VP44 powered truck with high hopes of big horsepower; I finally came to my senses and sold out!

It's easy to get a Dodge VP-44 pump and circuit board to fuel to and turn past 5000 rpm.....Install them both in an Audi.....

So, we're listening. What's the reason the VP-44 wont fuel past 5000 rpm on a Cummins platform? You sound like youv'e been through this before.