Fuel Economy cam updates

Did they switch to winter fuel in between your mileage tests?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

No worries.
People don't believe our test results usually, that is why I was wanting to get the information out.....good or bad. You are only one truck, so that is not a conclusive test. What doesn't work on your truck, might work on another truck, that is why we are testing in a few different trucks.

On a side note I dynoed yesterday, did fuel economy testing and changed to the 178-208.
with three different settings on my 1999 test mule.

25.09 mpg before the cam.

You got 25 mpg out of a VP?!?!

Did I miss something about a second overdrive or something. Not that I don't believe your results, I'm just shocked!!

I can get 25 mph out of my VP. Downhill with the wind to my back. :hehe:

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but if you have a 6 speed, tow in 5th. Instead of driving 75 in 6th, drive 65 in 5th at around 2400. Yes it is wrapped up...and may be louder, but with the stock cam, between #20 and #30K, my milage jumped from 9 mpg to 12 mpg once when I kept track of it. Yes it will add time to your trip, but 3 mpg @ $4 a gal, sure adds up.

[/sidebar]

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but if you have a 6 speed, tow in 5th. Instead of driving 75 in 6th, drive 65 in 5th at around 2400. Yes it is wrapped up...and may be louder, but with the stock cam, between #20 and #30K, my milage jumped from 9 mpg to 12 mpg once when I kept track of it. Yes it will add time to your trip, but 3 mpg @ $4 a gal, sure adds up.

[/sidebar]

Hm, thanks for sharing. :Cheer:

In all honesty, the ONE thing that would sell this SOB by itself and what I was hoping it would cure...is the buckin' of these VP trucks with boxes on them when intake air temp is low. It didn't cure it. I've read threads after threads...no one knows why they buck. I'm ready for an answer. The colder the intake air and the heavier the load, the worse the buck is. I was hoping a tad more air would solve it. So far....no dice.

1999 80hp inj., 5spd, 3.07 gears, smarty, edge, 62-68-12, lowered 2 3/4" rear, 1 3/4 front, 190 degree thermostat, electric water pump and fans.

1780rpm at 70 mph

[/sidebar]

sounds promising so far, Thats 2 people so far that have gotten 3mpg increase

I will have to admit, 19.25 mpg at 69mph is awesome for a 04.5 CR truck with 4.10 gears.

that is good, my best mileage is in the 18-1900 rpm range, it would be interesting to see a short test result from yours

sounds promising so far, Thats 2 people so far that have gotten 3mpg increase

Note that my comment was about 3mph was only using a different gear while towing with stock cam. I'll now prelim number tomorrow after I fill up on the new cam.

I have notice that I can run lower RPM's with this cam down the road and burn clean. I used to set my cruise faster than I wanted to keep the haze down.

1999 80hp inj., 5spd, 3.07 gears, smarty, edge, 62-68-12, lowered 2 3/4" rear, 1 3/4 front, 190 degree thermostat, electric water pump and fans.

1780rpm at 70 mph

That is what my RPM will be when I get the 6sp allison in at 70mph.I got 25mpg with the rto6610 eaton OD was only .80 with 3.54 hope to get close to 30mpg with the DBL OD.
Would you be able to put your fuel milage grind on my Perkins cam.

Dale

That is what my RPM will be when I get the 6sp allison in at 70mph.I got 25mpg with the rto6610 eaton OD was only .80 with 3.54 hope to get close to 30mpg with the DBL OD.

Dale

I like seeing tat you got good MPG out of that baby Roadranger. I am going to swap a RTO-6613 into my 12v sometime in the future. I don't know which alli you are going with but I have a feeling that it is going to burn up more power than the 6610 did.

In all honesty, the ONE thing that would sell this SOB by itself and what I was hoping it would cure...is the buckin' of these VP trucks with boxes on them when intake air temp is low. It didn't cure it. I've read threads after threads...no one knows why they buck. I'm ready for an answer. The colder the intake air and the heavier the load, the worse the buck is. I was hoping a tad more air would solve it. So far....no dice.

I had this same problem with my 01. When I had it on cruise it was the worst; more like a constant surge though. The more the load the worse it would get. I just thought it was something with my cruise module or a messed up speed sensor. Guess I wasn't alone in the battle.

1780rpm at 70 mph

AH! Thank you for the clarification sir.

Dale

Calling it a 6.0, I'm assuming it's a 372?

what pump and head do you have on it?

Dale

Maybe, call me some time.

Not a good day on the dyno today. The map sensor died and my electtric water pump died on the road......I'll get numbers in a day or so.

Zach

Calling it a 6.0, I'm assuming it's a 372?

what pump and head do you have on it?

It is a Perkins 1000 series Phaser 6.0 =365ci Also called Detroit Phaser.it has the 330hp marine Sable inj.MW bosch inline pump 4000gvs.trany is 1000 series out of a 2006 chevy duramax.this motor like low rpm the best.just like the old 855NTC cummins.it has the stock head on it.I have the head off will take pictures of the ports a heck of alot better than the 5.9.thinking of taking it to a freind shop he has a superflow bench and have it to see what it will flow.I want to compare to the 5.9.what lift would you like me to check it at.
Does not even look close to the 354 are the 372.
July TOTM

Dale

It is a Perkins 1000 series Phaser 6.0 =365ci Also called Detroit Phaser.it has the 330hp marine Sable inj.MW bosch inline pump 4000gvs.trany is 1000 series out of a 2006 chevy duramax.this motor like low rpm the best.just like the old 855NTC cummins.it has the stock head on it.I have the head off will take pictures of the ports a heck of alot better than the 5.9.thinking of taking it to a freind shop he has a superflow bench and have it to see what it will flow.I want to compare to the 5.9.what lift would you like me to check it at.
July TOTM

Dale

Okay, 1006 makes more sense. Early one with a .4 head or is it a later one with a 12 port head?

Well dropped the timing to 20*, it was set at 26 before by accident. LoL ran like a champ but did not like the cold. So im hoping to see another mpg increase, im also ditching the 181seats/191dvs for 131/131 and backing the plate off

July TOTM

Dale
Man that's a sweet build! You do awesome work.