Fuel Economy cam updates

it is nice to see some discussion on these subjects.

From what I have seen in my time working with diesels. It appears that the advanced timing depending on the rpm, injector, compression ratio etc. , allows more time for the fuel to be burned in the cylinder instead of fuel that is still trying to burn in the exhaust stream.

For people running low compression, the timing has to be advanced even further to get the same peak pressure number at TDC. Of course that is made up at higher boost pressures pulling engines typicall run. This uses a lot of energy and oxygen up prematurely in the cylinder before the piston is at TDC and ready to do some work. Guys running low compression and 40 degrees of timing make things work with mass amounts of air and fuel. I know the same could be done with much less if efficiency was given considerations.

A higher compression piston, in theory would allow you to run less timing(less wasted energy/oxygen before TDC) to get the same peak cylinder pressure. This allows more energy potential for after TDC. A few issues with this school of thought is that you would need a very fast rate of injection to get all of the fuel in the cylinder very soon after TDC since you started later. This is where our new pump cams come in. Another problem is timing that is good for higher rpm would be too much at the lower rpm for drivability, this is where our new 13mm plungers play into the equation. Hopefully after testing is finished, they will allow a few degrees of advancing based on rack travel. One last problem is that cylinder pressures will be phenominal at low rpm/high load. This will require a cam that will bleed off a bit of cylinder pressure at low rpm and gain it back at higher rpm , as the timing starts to advance. If all of this works out this year

I hate the common inefficient engines out there. I hope discussions like these will really help, a new school of thought on building engines. Of course, before now there has never been much options on cams, pistons, heads, stroke length, rod length etc. I really think we are just getting started.

I agree. I have noticed more smoke at lower boost and higher egts. But cranking time as reduced and less haze at idle. I can fix the low boost fueling with the afc. But come spring/summer the timing is going back up. Definitely wish I had a 24v right now lol
Man I dropped my timing 4 degrees and the smoke during under acceleration is just crazy now. I'm really wanting to change my injectors.

Im thinking of dropping to 131 seats/181 delivery valves and dropping from 5x14 injectors to 5x12. Then bump my timing up to 22-24*. My pump also has never been benched.

Last edited:
Im thinking of dropping to 131 seats/181 delivery valves and dropping from 5x14 injectors to 5x12. Then bump my timing up to 22-24*. My pump also has never been benched.
I'm running 131 seats with sdx comps. I wanna switch to 131 dvs also. Not sure if it'll make a difference but it can't hurt. Maybe go up 2 degrees or so.

I'm running 131 seats with sdx comps. I wanna switch to 131 dvs also. Not sure if it'll make a difference but it can't hurt. Maybe go up 2 degrees or so.

I hear 131/131 flows more than any other "stock"dv and cleaner

care to swap DV's for testing???

Yes as long as were testing, I don't mind one bit. I'm suppose to have some 131s on the way, but you know how that goes.

This is directed at scott, forgot to quote you.

Last edited:
she may be ugly bobby, but she is running really good now. and i've got 131's in at the moment. pretty much just waiting till i can afford some comp's.
CompD Mobile Device

STORM block now. LOL and I see your point!

Smith...I just remembered I sent my 181's and DV socket t9 madmikeismad o he can have arunning truck while he gets his 131's turned into comps. Which I plan to do when I get everything back from him

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Jory,

Try twisting it a little less going down the road for one tank. At 1780-1820 rpm the other day, I got my best economy every. I know it might be painful, but try 100-150 rpm less for a tank.

Jory,

Try twisting it a little less going down the road for one tank. At 1780-1820 rpm the other day, I got my best economy every. I know it might be painful, but try 100-150 rpm less for a tank.

I'll have to start over in a few weeks. I got to pull trailers this week and next week so getting bobtail info will be pointless for a while.

On that note, like I told Zack on the phone yesterday.....HOLY COW I love to tow with this new cam! Down shifting on hill is not needed now and the smoke is gone for the most part. I only took a 30 mile round trip with the big trailer and only had a trampoline for a payload, but I was very impressed.

More to come in the next three or four weeks as far as info and recored data.

Agreed, the cam makes towing very nice. Mileage is a little better for me but the overall performance is excellent.

I've never towed a loaded 30ft trailer in 6th gear, at 1600 rpms, at 60mph and stayed on top of the charger so if I want to go, I just hit the pedal. :D Me likey.

Spooler, 4x4 dually, crabbelle, after you get all of the data that you are happy with, will you try to reset the exhaust to .015" exhaust lash? I would really like to see wha that does for your performance.

Thanks for the feed back!