Fuel Economy cam updates

Leaving for 1400 mile trip tomorrow. I'll have you some more input on loaded trailer spool up on Monday.

Great, let us know how it works. Our research thus far shows that the slower the engine runs, the better your mpg will be.

spooler, that is what I like to hear. I will get one out to you as soon as we get them cut. Should be about 3-4 weeks.

Bsmith. I will let you know if we need more testers.

Zach

i wish my temp guage would go that high. i put cardboard in front of the radiator and it got hot real hot. so i cut a small hole thinking it will ease the temp..no it dropped to 150 again.

i wish my temp guage would go that high. i put cardboard in front of the radiator and it got hot real hot. so i cut a small hole thinking it will ease the temp..no it dropped to 150 again.
Have you tried cleaning your radiator?

Have you tried a different thermostat??? Mine read 210 for the first 4 years I owned it...(even when it made 800 HP and 21 MPG in 2009) after Mumau rebuilt it he put a 180 Thermostat in it and that is where is stays. I currently have about half the radiator covered in cardboard...no change in temp, only shortens warm up time.

I have recently gained an appreciation for the efficiency and quality of the cooling system.

Have you tried a different thermostat??? Mine read 210 for the first 4 years I owned it...(even when it made 800 HP and 21 MPG in 2009) after Mumau rebuilt it he put a 180 Thermostat in it and that is where is stays. I currently have about half the radiator covered in cardboard...no change in temp, only shortens warm up time.

I have recently gained an appreciation for the efficiency and quality of the cooling system.

I was going to but the one I have now works as it should, it opens at 180 and closes at 170.

Just set the intakes to .005. Spoolup was the same. WOT run max boost was the same at 39psi. WOT EGT's dropped 50 degrees to 1250. Did it a couple of times just to be sure. It's 70 deg. here and warm, so the cold weather is not the reason for the drop.

Just set the intakes to .005. Spoolup was the same. WOT run max boost was the same at 39psi. WOT EGT's dropped 50 degrees to 1250. Did it a couple of times just to be sure. It's 70 deg. here and warm, so the cold weather is not the reason for the drop.

Perfect. The cooler egt's confirm what we were thinking. Thank you!

Perfect. The cooler egt's confirm what we were thinking. Thank you!

Man, your just going to tune the SOB right on in aren't you. Very interesting, Never been a CAM guru, but I am learning alot.

Man, your just going to tune the SOB right on in aren't you. Very interesting, Never been a CAM guru, but I am learning alot.

Yeah, I am amazed at how much Zach puts into his stuff... proof that he is putting out the good parts.

1600 Mile Trailer Trip Results.

OK to TN and back. My before number which I have no recipts as proof were always around 9-11 mpg.

178 Cam.
2002 Dodge
II62/65/14
Edge Juice on level 2
DDP 100hp sticks
Fass Platinum 95
AFE Stage II Filter
AFE Bladerunner horn
Previous to cam install 450hp/972tq.

Loaded. GCVW approx #22,000 lbs.

Jan 7, 2012 7:43am Cruise set on 80 mph
229.7 miles @ 27.226 Gal = 8.44 mpg

Jan 7, 2012 12:44am Cruise set on 70 mph
293.8 miles @ 29.692 Gal = 9.89 mpg

Jan 7, 2012 5:25pm Cruise set on 70 mph
275.5 miles @ 26.941 Gal = 10.23 mpg

Throw out the 80 mph tank of fuel, loaded average is 10.06 mpg. Equivalent to "slightly better" than I've gotten with stock cam.

Unloaded. GCVW approx #15,300 lbs.

Jan 8, 2012 10:28am Cruise set on 75 mph
302.1 miles @ 25.611 Gal = 11.80 mpg

Jan 8, 2012 3:55pm Cruise set on 75 mph
333.3 miles @ 27.762 Gal = 12.00 mpg

Jan 8, 2012 6:26pm Cruise set on 75 mph
176.2 miles @ 15.074 Gal = 11.69 mpg

Unloaded (meaning empty trailer) average is 11.83. Equivalent to "slightly better" than I've gotten with stock cam.

Ok, so the "economy numbers" don't look that great while towing heavy, screw those numbers. Yes, I said, SCREW those numbers. The FACT that this cam spools so much better than the stock cam sells it for me. This in not a seat of the pants deal, litterally, it hardly smokes at all and will spool uphill with a load where the factory cam required a huge trial of black smoke or a drop to 5th gear.

I've never had a 181 or a 188 cam, and maybe they are the ticket....but I can tell you that "towing with this cam compared to a stock cam makes me smile".

I still lack a WOT data logged run and a data logged run between mile marker 80 and 79 with a trailer full of hay to plot before and after data, but I'm very happy right now. I'll try to get a WOT run on the way home from work and the loaded data in the next month or so.

Hope this is of some use. :D

This was basically all I-35 and I-40. The only time we stopped was to get rid of Mt. Dew and get fuel. No city driving. Cruise was set 95% of the time or greater.

Last edited:
EDIT: Failed to mention a critical item and the 15 minute rule wouldn't let me alter my post.

EGTs were DOWN! Normally, I can creep up to 1250-1275 on a long hill and feel the need to back off it. EGTs stayed around 1100-1150 on long hills and very rarely crept near 1200F but never cross it. So I can say EGTs were down at least 100 degrees. And I'm talking hills of Tennessee, not Oklahoma's little crap. With cruise set, boost would jump up to around 28-32 psi on long hills with cruise set on 70 mph and I'd lose very little speed. :clap:

Now, whether it is another cam change or probably most likely a turbo swap, this "fluttering in the mid boost range when ambient air is cold" has got to stop. Seems a lot of folks have the problem and no one knows how to fix it. My truck won't stop it until AIT reads 100F or above. On this trip, it ran about 80-90F because outside temp was 45-58F.

4x4dually, what were the RPM's at these speeds. Don't remember your gears either...LOL must be getting old.