Fuel Economy cam updates

Thanks verymuch for the kind words.My wife says that I can't leave it alone.

Dale

Finally burned through the first tank with the 178 in. I regretfully report zero gain in milage with my setup. Smoke is way less, spool up is better, ect, lot of things I like about it, but, the milage isn't there. At least it was not on this tank. This was probably 85% highway and 15% town. This is pretty much the same routine that I drive when I've previsously calculated 13.9 - 14.1 mpg over the last year or so. This is right in line with what I've always seen. Infact, this is probably a little lesser speed than I've normally driven due the fact that I have been nursing a brand new head gasket. There are no WOT runs on this tank and only a couple fast accelerations due to on ramps on the highway. :( Sorry.

Miles: 415.2
Gallons: 29.824

MPG : 13.92

The dayum pumps cut off at $105. I always have to run the card again and get the extra gallon. Dumb asses.

FirstMilageBobtail.jpg

I still look forward to doing some logging and comparing those results. I'll do them soon.

The dayum pumps cut off at $105. I always have to run the card again and get the extra gallon. Dumb asses.

That drives me nuts. As fuel prices go up, the limit for me has gone from 75 to 100 to 125 and I'm always about 1 gallon short. I've always wondered, is it a limit thru the card or the fuel station?

That drives me nuts. As fuel prices go up, the limit for me has gone from 75 to 100 to 125 and I'm always about 1 gallon short. I've always wondered, is it a limit thru the card or the fuel station?

The bank that issued the card.

sent from my phone

I think the key here might be the need to de-tune the truck a bit after the cam. You saw no increase in MPG's but im sure your power levels are up a bit, not to mention the obvious drivability increase.

your burning more of the delivered fuel, but the engine is still using 1 gallon per 14miles. maybe if you were to pull back the fuel, untill your power level is consistant with what it was on the stock cam, you may see and increase in MPG's..... Or I could just be talking out of my ass

hard to describe what im thinking. I havnt seen a consistant increase in mpg's yet on my cam. but the drivability increase makes it worth every cent IMO

there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the cam helps produce a cleaner burn...

:pop:

Yes, it's rather annoying. Each fuel station sets the limit for their pumps (and sometimes it's a different limit for different card types).

I think the key here might be the need to de-tune the truck a bit after the cam. You saw no increase in MPG's but im sure your power levels are up a bit, not to mention the obvious drivability increase.

your burning more of the delivered fuel, but the engine is still using 1 gallon per 14miles. maybe if you were to pull back the fuel, untill your power level is consistant with what it was on the stock cam, you may see and increase in MPG's..... Or I could just be talking out of my ass

hard to describe what im thinking. I havnt seen a consistant increase in mpg's yet on my cam. but the drivability increase makes it worth every cent IMO

Makes perfect sense. Dyno runs before and after and detuning to previous hp may be the only "fair" way to get a true mpg only comparison.

This was on level 2 on the edge which is where I normally drive. I see what you are saying. I'll try the next tank on level 0 and see how it does.

Each fuel station sets the limit for their pumps (and sometimes it's a different limit for different card types).

Negative, at least in OK. The limits are set by the card. Visa etc. I'll personally called about 3 large chain owners around here and griped. If you take the card inside, they will let it run as long as you want. That way, if the card is stolen, they get you on camera and you have to sign your name. It is a security for stolen cards thing, that is all. That way the card companies are only liable for $105 at a pop. But the kicker is, if you can put it right back in, what is the point? Stupid.

When I got the 25mpg the edge was on 0, I was just using it for boost fooling and data logging. If that does not work, I guess I will go back to the drawing board with a cup of coffee and some humble pie.

When I got the 25mpg the edge was on 0, I was just using it for boost fooling and data logging. If that does not work, I guess I will go back to the drawing board with a cup of coffee and some humble pie.

O hells bells, don't hang yer head just yet. Let me try it on level 0 and see what I can do with it. There are to many other things I like about it to give up yet. :D

Negative, at least in OK. The limits are set by the card. Visa etc. I'll personally called about 3 large chain owners around here and griped. If you take the card inside, they will let it run as long as you want. That way, if the card is stolen, they get you on camera and you have to sign your name. It is a security for stolen cards thing, that is all. That way the card companies are only liable for $105 at a pop. But the kicker is, if you can put it right back in, what is the point? Stupid.

Sounds like they just wanted to get you off the phone. LOL

It's just a simple software setting to raise the pre-authorization amount. I can go to 5 different places around here and get 5 different limits with the same card. One of the local truck stops finally raised it enough so you can fill a 35gal tank without it shutting off. :D Hopefully the others will follow (since I doubt the fuel prices will go back down). :kick:

Sounds like they just wanted to get you off the phone. LOL

It's just a simple software setting to raise the pre-authorization amount. I can go to 5 different places around here and get 5 different limits with the same card. One of the local truck stops finally raised it enough so you can fill a 35gal tank without it shutting off. :D Hopefully the others will follow (since I doubt the fuel prices will go back down). :kick:

They all lied to me then. :D Bastards.

Zach, throw out the milage. During these cold months, the truck idles at least 15 mintues each morning and idled for about 45 the other day when flushing all the oil out of my heater core. So....I don't know how much fuel is burned at idle, but the preliminary numbers should be thrown out.

I'll get you numbers when I can fill up at both ends of a long trip with no idle time. :D Look at it this way, with all the extra idle time, it got the same as I did before! :D

What size injectors are you guys running? I currently have SDX 5x14s with a 152* spray pattern. Now that my timing is down to 20* again, my egts came back up to 550-600 at cruising. I guess the extra fuel was cooling the cylinders.

What size injectors are you guys running? I currently have SDX 5x14s with a 152* spray pattern. Now that my timing is down to 20* again, my egts came back up to 550-600 at cruising. I guess the extra fuel was cooling the cylinders.

I think the change in timing is 100% responsible for the change in cruising EGT's.

The flaw in this logic is if you burn the fuel more efficiently, meaning more power made it to the drive wheels, you would be forced to use less throttle to maintain your usual 65 MPH cruise speed. More power to the wheels would equate to to a faster cruise speed, so he would then lift the accelerator pedal accordingly to maintain his pre-set 65 MPH.

Extended idle time would directly effect measured fuel economy. The best way to check this is to install an hour gauge and record the number of hours of run-time per fill-up. On my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, it has the ability to reset and display the run time. I record the hrs on each fill up along with miles driven to help see trends of extended idling, or lower than normal cruise speed such as in-town use. For example, on an all highway trip, I might see 4-5 hrs per fill up. One tank my wife drove 100% city and I was shocked to see 19 hrs of run time. That probably explained the poor 19 MPG on that fill up.

Thinking to much timing and low RPM equals piston trying to go down before TDC and more time for the cooling system to absorb the heat instead of it going out the exhaust valve.

The flaw in this logic is if you burn the fuel more efficiently, meaning more power made it to the drive wheels, you would be forced to use less throttle to maintain your usual 65 MPH cruise speed. More power to the wheels would equate to to a faster cruise speed, so he would then lift the accelerator pedal accordingly to maintain his pre-set 65 MPH.

You beat me too it. Steady state cruising at a given weight and drag co-effecient and what have is going to take X amount of power. Changing the cam isn't going to change amount of power required to get it down the road. More power is going to increase speed. Same speed and weight means the same power produced.

As far as the results, you can't base it all off of one tank. Need lots of data over many miles. My truck has gone from 15-21 mpg, all empty highway cruising. Weather, type of fuel and speed all change it, and you can only control one of those.

Thinking to much timing and low RPM equals piston trying to go down before TDC and more time for the cooling system to absorb the heat instead of it going out the exhaust valve.

You're correct.

In my opinion, Higher timing does one thing with three results:

1. It makes the burn start earlier in the piston's down stroke in the cylinder.

Results:
1. More heat is absorbed into the cylinder/piston (ultimately the cooling system).
2. More power is getting to the wheels because average cylinder pressure increases.
3. Exhaust EGT reading is cooler because more of the burn event is occurring before the exhaust valve opens.

I agree. I have noticed more smoke at lower boost and higher egts. But cranking time as reduced and less haze at idle. I can fix the low boost fueling with the afc. But come spring/summer the timing is going back up. Definitely wish I had a 24v right now lol