Fuel Economy cam updates

Wish I would of got some better mileage for you. I can't wait to tow with it Friday.

I will have to admit, 19.25 mpg at 69mph is awesome for a 04.5 CR truck with 4.10 gears.

Everything is installed. I'll top off the tank tonight and start getting "post" milage numbers for you. I'm going to take it easy for a while before I get WOT info. Don't want to lose this new headgasket in the first week. :D

I got a load of hay today. It is 1 hr from my house. My new truck was excellent. I used to leave a black smoke trail when getting going. Not anymore, I only got a slight haze no matter how hard I poured the fuel to it. EGT's stayed in check around 1150. Before I could shoot up to 1300 quick. The cam allows me to get on top of the charger very easily. Very pleased.

Just looked at my empty weight ticket. Truck and trailer are 17,820 empty. I have a load of 61 bails at 50lbs each. Total weight was 20,870 lbs.

????

Just looked at my empty weight ticket. Truck and trailer are 17,820 empty. I have a load of 61 bails at 50lbs each. Total weight was 20,870 lbs.

What am I missing? Truck ways 9000lbs max - 17820 = 8820 empty trailer? and I am being nice at 9000lbs truck weight, my 1ton single weight 8000lbs with winter weight and me in it

What am I missing? Truck ways 9000lbs max - 17820 = 8820 empty trailer? and I am being nice at 9000lbs truck weight, my 1ton single weight 8000lbs with winter weight and me in it

Who cares? All we care about is how the cam works! It all sounds good to me!! I love the results! Makes me want one for my truck!!!

I can see that pretty easily. I have a 35' flat deck dual tandem that wieghs around 8k empty. My trailer and 5500 wiegh about 20k empty. My 95 wieghs 7k and my old 04.5 QC LB was 7700 empty. Just need a steel flatbed and the wieght is up there. Now back to the testing.

Those weights are very feasible. :D

Anyway, I'm still burning my first tank of fuel to get mpg #s. It may take another two days at this rate. LOL Which is good.

Things I've noticed by "seat of pants" so far..

No more haze at 70 mpg on cruise. Drives down the highway now clean as hell.
Very little smoke on shifts when normal driving. (not bat out of hell driving)
RPMs fall quicker when shifting.
Spools a tad faster.
Sounds different...in a cool way. I like the sound better.

I think with this cam I'll be able to turn the pre-boost fueling up and still not have as much puff of black when I shift than I did before. Thumbs up! :D

Actual data number to come in the next few weeks once I get some warmer weather to play in. Old data logs were at 60F. I'm not going to log data at 30F and expect it to be the same.

I also have a load with a tractor and a jeep and implements going to Tennessee in a few weeks. That will be a long trip to get economy logged. I also have another load of hay going to the Texas line soon.

Truck and trailer. I can post a weight ticket if you'd like. This is truck and trailer empty. It's a living quarter horse trailer 12 short wall, 4 horse. I use it to get hay so I don't have to worry about the hay getting wet. It's 32 foot on the floor. It's one hour one way to get hay. I weighed the setup when I got the trailer. Wanted to know how much I could carry, etc. It has a few things in it now, chairs, saddles and tack, LV stuff. It will weigh a little more. Can even post a pick if you want.

Last edited:
Very little smoke on shifts when normal driving. (not bat out of hell driving)
RPMs fall quicker when shifting.
Spools a tad faster.
Sounds different...in a cool way. I like the sound better

Those were the top 4 things i noticed when i put the 188 in my 1stgen, it improved my drivability ten fold, honestly a different truck to drive now...performance upgrade was a good thing too! watch your headgasket, cylinder pressures must be up, I popped mine sunday :(

ill tell pop's to grab one of those 178's looks like its what he needs, ill be watching the data logs, good info!

Zach, is the 178 a "custom grind"?

As of now it is a custom grind. My goal is to replace the 181-210 in the next year with the 178-208. At that point it will be $599 when we get them cut in larger quantities.

Zach