Fuel Economy cam updates

Zach you know you can use my shop. Cummins has a load cell dyno in Bloomington. They don't usually do high performance truck cause of the liability of grenading. Lol but in this case they wil do it. It will bring a truck to it's knees.

Is that the shop right off of 39/51? Or deeper in the city?

I think your talking about peterbilt. Cummins crosspoint is off of i55 on the northeast side of town next to kenworth. Either that Illinois dyno center and Randall performance in Gladstone has a superflow dyno. They are In diesel power mag quit abit. Brian and Corey are goodguys to

Think they might have any time to get me on the rollers sometime between Dec 25th to January 14th?

I am going to be in the area for a few weeks. In fact, we should do a diesel gear head get together since i don't get up there as much as I like.

Zach

It is designed to have better performance than the stock cam with an emphasis on fuel economy. We could have made it spool quite a bit earlier, but we chose not to open the exhaust earlier like other performance cams.

We have been working on fine tuning all of our performance grinds for the last few years. After we found out what worked and what didn't, we put all of our research information into this cam. Combine all of our research with an amazing designer and you get the 178-208. Of all of the things I have done in the last few years, I am most proud of this cam due to it's potential for better fuel economy. I hate foreign oil dependance. this is just a little jab to the sheiks.

It's full potential won't be recognized until our high compression pistons and our higher ratio 5th gear is out.

If you are installing this on a 12 valve, run 1 tank with timing where it is, one with - 2 degree and one with 2 degrees advanced from the start point. Do this and you will your fuel economy.

Zach

Ya this sounds like the cam for me, what advice would you have to pull as much as i can off this 6.7 cummins?

You should so a small turbo with a larger turbine wheel like a 62-68-14 or a 64-71-14. Combine that with a small set of injectors 50-75hp and a good tune and you are in business. Other than that just drive sane.

So far I've gotten a 3mpg increase, im sure I can get more if I can keep my foot out of it

Holy Crap. We shall see. If I can get 20-21mpg with 4.10's running at 69-75mph I will be very happy.

Next would be 75hp injectors and some Hamilton Valve Springs.

Last edited:
I think your talking about peterbilt. Cummins crosspoint is off of i55 on the northeast side of town next to kenworth.

Yeah, Cummins Crosspoint is who I was talking about. My bro lives 2 miles away on the main road and works at the landscape company (LKM Landscape) kinda kidde corner from them.

You should so a small turbo with a larger turbine wheel like a 62-68-14 or a 64-71-14. Combine that with a small set of injectors 50-75hp and a good tune and you are in business. Other than that just drive sane.

I was looking at a 64 but with a 74 instead of a 71. To be honest i have no idea what the difference would be so i take as much advice as i can. I'll look into getting a 71 now. If i go with this cam is there a need to do the valve springs to?

Got data logging to work! This is my first cut at plots so they'll get better. Also, it logs the raw data so I can't smooth it out like I can on the actual display in the truck. So, Zach, I aught to be able to give you data that looks like this graphically and the raw number data to go with it. This was just a start from a stop light right out here to make sure it logged. I wasn't on it hard so the boost number aren't very high. I'll get a log tomorrow on the road with the stock cam with over 20K gross. That should be interesting. LOL

PSI on the left, MPH on the right. I forgot to label the axis. RPM on the bottom.

DataLogTest2.jpg

I'm also logging things like APPS % so we can tell when comparing charts if the demand was the same or we are comparing apples to oranges which means you data is chit. :D

DataLogTest3.jpg

Last edited:
I was loggin' every 200ms. I'll drop it to 50ms. The file will be 4 times larger, but even after a 1st gear to 6th gear run 0 to 70, the file was only 12K so the only limit is the size of my thumb drive to get the data off it. That should smooth it out some. I'll keep playing and try some more stuff at lunch time. :D

Went out and did a "foot to the floor" test at lunch. I think I've found the resolution limit of the logger. The plots are jumpy due to the maximum speed the bus can update the logger (or how fast the logger requests data). I'll ask about that. Taking 50 samples per second isn't much smoother than taking 5. This was running start in 3rd from 20 mph on Edge level 4.

DataLogTest4.jpg

DataLogTest5.jpg

Right before the cam swap, I'll log stock again and then the new cam. I'm just playing right now. :D

Installing mine this week. I am off until next tuesday.... Thank God.... Picking up coolant tomorrow and then coming back home to get started. My knee's are crap so I am sure I will be alot slower. I'll just have to pace my old broken down self...LOL

Is your lash at .010/.020"? The data looks great!

Lash was last set by the factory 175K ago. :hehe: Your guess is better than mine as to what it is now. Is that something you would like me to check and set if necessary before I take the final "before" data?

No worries. I just didn't want a lash setting like .008/.015" to muck up the results any.

As you were.

Any news, spooler or Jory?

I spent the day adapting a 3.07 rearend out of a 1989 or 1990 250. Had to weld on the brackets for the sway bar and the shocks, changed over the parking brake cables and the speed sensor. It was also an inch shorter so the driveshaft had to stretch a bit.

The cool thing is that the speedo was bang on with no adjustment. I guess they account for a lot of the different gear ratios with different number of pulses on the tone ring. It is sitting just under 1800 at 70mph now. I will get some before 178-208 fuel economy numbers on the way to Illinois in the next few weeks.

Yeap, I have an issue. See thread in Dodge competition and performance forum. Installed the cam and have a Cam position sensor code. Had someone press the cam gear off the old cam and on the new one. Wondering if they didn't press it all the way on or if just dumb luck the sensor went bad. I have about 1/16 in. of the cam protuding out of the gear. The gear is on correctly, pickups are on the back side toward the sensor. Pulling the front end back apart to see. Looking for suggestions. If the gear is not on all the way can I take a socket and whack it on the rest of the way or will create other issues. I will pull it back out if needed to inspect it. Oh what fun, I hate do-overs.

Got a loaded run last week. 175 miles, highway only. Around #25,000...I'll wiegh the next load to know for sure.

Loaded: Edge on 2. Average speed 70mph, sixth gear: 7.9 mpg

Unloaded: Edge on 2. Average speed 70 mph, sixth gear: 10.4 mpg

I get 2-3 mpg better if I run in 5th gear with the trailer @65 mph, but I didn't want to add another hour to my trip with the kids and I wanted "worst case results".

I also logged a long hill between mile marker 89 and 90....but the data is still not smooth and not very usable in my mind. I'm working with the software to resolve the issue. I rewired the whole SOB last night from 8pm to 1:30am. I'll load the trailer this week and go to the highway for some better "stock cam" results when I figure it out. I don't want to give you a junk plot.

Plan is for Outlaw Diesel (Trent) to come to my house on Saturday and do the swap....granted I can make sure I can get the gear pressed on somewhere.

Exactly what zinc schiddt to I put in there and how much with the fresh oil change?

Last edited: