Fuel Economy cam updates

Spooler, sorry to hear about the bum luck with the sensor. i would replace that before I did anything else like tearing it all down. Make sure when you press the gear on it is all the way against the shoulder of the cam.
Jory, resolution of the data is not as important as you might think. Another thing is that you might want to log less channels of overall data if you are exceeding the processing power of the unit to plot data. You might be able to drop Coolant and oil temperature and gain some resolution in that instance......just a thought as i have no clue what the limiting factor is.

Thanks again for going to such lengths for the data.

Zach

Zach

I'm going to try to up the baud rate and drop a few channels and see what happens. I just had "tech support" on the phone too. :D

Just got text....channel count won't help. :( It might also be a terminating resistor on the bus. I'll try that too.

Working on a solution for more accurate recording....however, I did manage to find a smoothing tool for excel. It keeps a running total of points (running average) and allows smoothing by a factor. A running 100 point count makes for about the most accurate curve and still maintain approx the same mins and maxes.

My goal here is to overlay the pre and post graphs to "see" the difference. The 5000 data points are nice and can give a max value quickly....but I'm a "visual learner". LOL

DataLogLoaded.jpg

You can see I went up a small hill....then a short valley, then a long hill. I plan on recording the exact same strech of road and then I can line the valleys up for the overlay and see what we gained....or reduced as EGT's will have it.

Zach, Ryan helped me figure it out. Sure enough, the cam gear was not on all the way. It was .060 from the shoulder. I am kicking myself because I should have checked it before I left where I had it pressed on. Flippin rookie mistake..... I did get the truck up and going today. Took a 50mile ride and then ran the overhead again. Adjusting 5 and 6 on a hot motor is hell. The reason it took so long is when I pulled the front cover, the crank seal deceided it wanted to loose a big chunk and left it on the garage floor... I had to round one up and it took 2 days to get it because the first day I saw a lovely wrong part waiting for me.

Do I need to run the overhead again in 500 miles? Do these valves normaly get loose when hot or tight. I had a couple of both. Seems it may be a little noisey when hot.

The cam has done wonders for the bottom end and it spools the turbo excellent. On a wet road, too much go pedal and the truck will want to step out.

Last edited:
Sorry tpo hear about the bull. Hopefully you can get a good adjustment on those and get it working correctly.

Let us know how it works once you get all of the bugs worked out.

Zach

Sorry tpo hear about the bull. Hopefully you can get a good adjustment on those and get it working correctly.

Let us know how it works once you get all of the bugs worked out.

Zach

Thanks Zach,
I will get it worked out. Taking the night off and will set the lash tomorrow night after work when I get home. Sometimes things are a challenge, if it was easy everybody would do it.

I absolutely love this cam. Im going to drop the timing down to 20* and see if it helps out. I changed the oil to 5w30, deff. Easier starts. So far the cam bumped me up to 35mpg. Running the truck around 190-200* helps a bunch as well.

I absolutely love this cam. Im going to drop the timing down to 20* and see if it helps out. I changed the oil to 5w30, deff. Easier starts. So far the cam bumped me up to 35mpg. Running the truck around 190-200* helps a bunch as well.

thats just awesome, 35mpg is huge

Adjusted the lash tonight. All is nice and quite. Spools my turbo great down low, almost like having a stock turbo. One valve cover gasket to replace tomorrow and clean up the oily mess due to adjusting the valves on a hot motor and I should be good to go.

Got dicked by UPS. Cam won't go in 'til next Sat. Dammit. Can't tear my truck down and not have it 'til Tuesday night after UPS gets me the gaskets on Monday. Those losers.

I drove about 60 miles today. Here are my WOT run results before and after. Very interesting.

Before:
During a WOT run EGT's would jump to 1200 quick and then creap to 1300.
Ambient temps were in the 70's. Max boost was 38 psi.

After:
During a WOT run EGT's barely creaped up to 1100 and very slow at that. Ambiet air
temp was 40 deg. Max boost was 39 psi.

I am going to redo the after tomorrow during the warmest part of the day. The results
are very good so far.

You can feel the truck start to loose steam at a little over 3000 rpm but that is to be expected. The amazing part
was the EGT's dropped 200 degrees.

Last edited:
Got a chance to redo the test with the ambient of 69 deg. Here are the results. I figured out why the EGT's were different. I forgot to turn my pressure box on. It was on 0 where I normally run. For the pre-test I had it
set on 2. So I set it on 2 for this after test.

After test #2:
EGT's were 1300 but they got to that point very slow. Max boost was 39 psi.

The only thing I can figure with the boost is I had a small leak on one of the
CAC boots, hence the 1 psi boost increase.

I like the EGT numbers! Lower is great for someone who tows. If all my boxes get here today, I might get the cam in on Wed instead of next Saturday.

Sorry, Zach, but I have to do a head gasket at the same time. I sure hope it doesn't skew the numbers. I've got way too much oil in the coolant. I'm getting scared to drive it now so it will be a must. I think if I got out and get another WOT run, it might not make it home. :(

in my 24v if below 2k rpms its gets good mileage and above 2k rpm it definitely gets worse. have you tried comparing rpm differences? mines a 99 qc lb 4x4 5spd 4.10s 315/75/16. airdog2, edge ez, and maxspool2.5. everything else is pretty much stock. with military 38s 325/85/16 i got 15ish all city driving

My after test are ready. Here is the pre-test.

First pre results are in. This is a 75mph mostly interstate to work today and back. I drove 110.9 miles and burned 6.4 gallons of diesel.
MPG = 17.33

By the way, the lie-o-meter said 20.5 mpg. Just a wee bit off...

This is with fuel at the top of the filler neck.

After results at 75 mph mostly interstate to work and back. I drove 110.9 miles exactly again and burned 6.29 gallons of diesel. RPM's were 2275. Not sure why the gains were low. May just be because it is a brick on wheels at 75 mph.
MPG = 17.63

Lie-o-meter said 20.7
I did hit some stop and go traffic today, more than last time. This may be the reason the gain is low. I will be doing the 69 mph run tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here are the pre test from before.

Today I ran 69mph at 2100rpm. Boost was 2-3 psi. EGT's were 650. I drove the same route. Drove 110.9 miles mostly interstate and back. Burned 5.98 gallons of diesel.
MPG= 18.5

Here are today's after test.
Today I ran 69mph at 2100rpm. Boost was 2 psi. EGT's were 650. I drove the same route. Drove 110.9 miles mostly interstate and back. Burned 5.76 gallons of diesel.
MPG= 19.25

It appears someone with 3.73 gear or lower who can keep the RPM's under 2000 would get better fuel mileage. I have 4.10 gears. Still got about 1 mpg gain though.

Zach,
What RPM range is it best to stay in with this cam?