Super Street rules ??

I would love to run in super street also, but Pro street is fine with me. I have fuel cell and battery in Box
I also dont have wipers or stock dash gauges, wiring anymore, would this effect SS if my battery and fuel cell were in the right location? My truck still has full interior and is street legal, I drive it every weekend!

Devon the only thing holding you out of ss is the fuel cell and battery. interior doesn't matter.

I personally think Super Street and Pro Street are too close as far as current performance/ ET numbers. I don't necessarily think it's a rule problem, just seems like guys like Rob Coddens have pushed the envelope pretty far in S.S. getting well into the 9's, whereas the ProStreet trucks struggle to run any quicker, even though they weigh less.

Maybe this year we'll see some Pro Street trucks dipping into the high 8's and still maintain reliability. Honestly, it retrospect, it seems like the Super Street trucks are running "too quick" it's more of a purpose-built "Heavy" Pro-Street class.

Thus, allowing hood stacks, moved fuel cells, etc. will just make the class even more radical, quicker ET's, and push the class well beyond the financial reach of "common folk."

Last edited:
I personally think Super Street and Pro Street are too close as far as current performance/ ET numbers. I don't necessarily think it's a rule problem, just seems like guys like Rob Coddens have pushed the envelope pretty far in S.S. getting well into the 9's, whereas the ProStreet trucks struggle to run any quicker, even though they weigh less.

Maybe this year we'll see some Pro Street trucks dipping into the high 8's and still maintain reliability. Honestly, it retrospect, it seems like the Super Street trucks are running "too quick" it's more of a purpose-built "Heavy" Pro-Street class.

Thus, allowing hood stacks, moved fuel cells, etc. will just make the class even more radical, quicker ET's, and push the class well beyond the financial reach of "common folk."

That is the way it is when you have an open type class like SS and Pro Street. Just like in the pulling classes the guys with the biggest wallets win because they can build and push the limits of the rules to win. It is just the way it is.
If you want to get away from that you go to an index class and the people build the truck to run that specific time/ speed once you have reached that level you don't need to keep adding to it to keep up. Then driving skills kick in.

I may be outta my league here but I've kept up with the nhrda for about 3 years now and have been to a handful of races and it always seems like the classes end up lop-sided as far as competition goes. Index racing is the most exciting races to watch because you know it's going to be a close race.

That is the way it is when you have an open type class like SS and Pro Street. Just like in the pulling classes the guys with the biggest wallets win because they can build and push the limits of the rules to win. It is just the way it is.
You are wrong in the NHRDA Pro Street and Super Street classes, may be not in sled pulling as I don't have a clue there. There is way more money in some rigs that are slower than others. Trucks fit the rules as made, not "push the limits" My truck by no means has the most money in it, just solid products, good implementation of good ideas, and driving skill.

How many NHRDA Pro or Super Street events have you competed in to be able to insult the racers that compete in these classes on a monthly basis for years at a time with a statement like yours?

Rob, as personal friends with both you and Bruce (Toolman), I don't think Bruce was trying to insult anyone. Bruce is another one of those "all around nice guys" just like you are, and I think was just commenting that the highest funded teams tend to win in all-out racing classes. There are many obvious exceptions (including you), but when it's first to the finish line then usually the deepest pockets at least have an advantage. One of the things that appeals to me about diesel motorsports is that it is "new" enough that the deepest pockets DON'T win all the time!

For me, the current 11.90 index class is a great way to get my feet wet. It will suck if I get my truck to hook up well, not being able to run it hard and see if it can dip into the mid 11's, but I think test n tune is the best time to push the limits and try to break personal records. Having a reliable, repeatable, dialed-in setup is key to having a successful race truck. 11.90 is quick enough that it takes a fairly serious HP/Weight ratio to get there so it is still challenging to build a consistent vehicle.

I applaud those pushing the ET's quicker and quicker, it's a lot of fun to watch.

You are wrong in the NHRDA Pro Street and Super Street classes, may be not in sled pulling as I don't have a clue there. There is way more money in some rigs that are slower than others. Trucks fit the rules as made, not "push the limits" My truck by no means has the most money in it, just solid products, good implementation of good ideas, and driving skill.

How many NHRDA Pro or Super Street events have you competed in to be able to insult the racers that compete in these classes on a monthly basis for years at a time with a statement like yours?

Rob sorry to get you all stirred up that was not my intent at all. Maybe I used the wrong words. The point I was trying to make is . If your racing an index class you build your truck to go that fast period whether it is 12.0 or 10.0 you have a limit. But if your in an open class you have to keep throwing money at it to stay ahead of the other guy whether it is head porting big turbo another stage of nitrous, etc. It is never ending to stay on top.
Apparently you are one of those guys that have the skills to put the right combinations together at a low cost, good for you! We don't all have the connections or the insight to do that. I am lucky that I own a machine shop and can make a lot of my own stuff but it is still very expensive and the faster you go the more expensive it is.

As far as the racing goes I have been doing this for a little while. I actually started racing diesels in 2005, I have been in a couple of championship races for the DHRA Quick Diesel in 2007 and 2008. This last year I jumped up classes to Super Stock and when that class wasn't available I ran Pro Street and was lucky enough to get my first Pro Street win this year. I think if you talk to most anyone that's been racing east of the Mississippi they know who I am.

Last year when I built my truck to run in the Outlaw Super Stock class I built it with racing the Super Street class in mind too. I left the stock tank in place but went with a Hood stack to save weight as my truck still is about 400# too heavy for that class. Then I find out you put in the rules no hood stacks so I don't fit in . I am too heavy for Pro Street and going to fast for 11.90 index.

I know of several trucks that have fallen though the cracks because of these two rules and would love to race in Super Street but don't want to change their trucks back and forth to compete in different organizations classes.

At most the hood stack vs bed stack is going to cost you 60 lbs if you run an additional 20' of 5" x .065" sst tubing. Which you won't. It's not like it's a new rule as of last year.

Figure that out in HP vs ET.

Last edited:
It is a 4 door truck so it will take some pipe. The biggest thing is I don't want to punch a hole in the bed and like running a bed cover. If this thing was strictly a race truck it would be a different story. I still drive the thing a lot on the street. I will think of something if I want to run that class or just jump in Pro Street.

Do you drive your truck around with a hood stack. I know we can't here. Minus a few guys who have built trucks for this class, most people watching events can relate to the trucks running this class they still look like everyday drivers. Where prostreet trucks just flat out look like race trucks

I have driven my truck on the street with the stack a lot. One day I even set next to a state police car at a stop light . I thought if he was going to say anything he would . We have several trucks in my area running them now on daily drivers. I think if we actually got legalistic about it are bed stacks legal? I think it is probably on the books in almost any state that legally you should run an OEM exhaust system but it is up to the states to enforce it. Last year while going to the Bradenton Fl. race my tow truck broke down just south of Atlanta about 500 or so miles from Bradenton. I unloaded the race truck and drove it to Florida drove it around down there during the days of the race and drove it back to Jeff Garmom's shop in Atlanta where we fixed the tow truck. During all this to and from the race I passed several police cars and they didn't bother me. Maybe for this Super Street racing if you want to really get legalistic about it we should outlaw trailers , you would have to drive your truck to the track. Lol

I have driven my truck on the street with the stack a lot. One day I even set next to a state police car at a stop light . I thought if he was going to say anything he would . We have several trucks in my area running them now on daily drivers. I think if we actually got legalistic about it are bed stacks legal? I think it is probably on the books in almost any state that legally you should run an OEM exhaust system but it is up to the states to enforce it. Last year while going to the Bradenton Fl. race my tow truck broke down just south of Atlanta about 500 or so miles from Bradenton. I unloaded the race truck and drove it to Florida drove it around down there during the days of the race and drove it back to Jeff Garmom's shop in Atlanta where we fixed the tow truck. During all this to and from the race I passed several police cars and they didn't bother me. Maybe for this Super Street racing if you want to really get legalistic about it we should outlaw trailers , you would have to drive your truck to the track. Lol

Bed stacks are illegal in most states and provinces. Most laws read that the exhaust must exit a minimum of 18 inches behind the passenger compartment.

Ok sorry for the delay but as I stated before we have never changed a rule during the race season so it was hard for me to change stuff during the season.
We have talked to several competitors and since we have not had our first event we are going to make a rule revision for the following.

NHRDA Super Street Rule revision effective – February 1st 2012
» Fuel cells are permitted and do not have to be mounted in stock location ( Fuel cells must be SFI approved)
» Battery(s) are no longer required to be forward of OEM Firewall.

All other rules still apply

NHRDA Super-Street
S/S » Heads-Up class with a 4/10ths Pro Tree, Pro ladder by ET, Auto Start on
» 2wd Minimum weight: 5,000 lbs (w/ Driver) +/- 1%, slick tires permitted
» 4wd Minimum weight: 6,000 lbs (w/ Driver)+/- 1%, DOT approved tires required
» Tube chassis, back halved, 4-link, 3-link style rear suspension prohibited (Note: Traction/Ladder Bars allowed)
» Hood / Fender Stacks prohibited
» All Exhaust must exit up and away from vehicle
» Must have OEM style transmission (Note: Lenco, Liberty, Bruno, Clutchflite, Danco or similar prohibited)
» Engine must be forward of OEM Firewall
» Must meet all NHRA and/or IHRA tech and safety requirements for MPH and ET
» Must meet all NHRA and/or IHRA licensing requirements for MPH and ET

Just curious what exhaust must exit up and away from vehicle means? Are you not allowed to run a normal exhaust any longer?

Last edited:
I believe the exhaust is not a rule change, but just highlighted. Stack behind the cab or a turn up added to factory style exhaust for the races.

I believe the exhaust is not a rule change, but just highlighted. Stack behind the cab or a turn up added to factory style exhaust for the races.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure the up and away wasn't in the rules on line a couple weeks ago. Just the no hood stacks. Maybe it was and I missed it.